ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > SCIENTIFIC DISCUSSIONS, RESEARCH, NEWS AND EVENTS > Scientific, Philosophical & Theoretical Discussions > Open Science & Philosophical Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Open Science & Philosophical Discussion This forum is for open discussion, encouraging new and unconventional ways of thinking, welcoming posts in any format

Old 09-25-09, 06:44 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,141 Times in 2,896 Posts
Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute
Measuring Working Memory

I thought this deserves a separate thread.

Can anyone tell me if the measurement of working memory in neuropsychological testing is able to distinguish between actual working memory, and the amount of working memory that a person is able to bring to bear on a given problem?
Also it occurs to me that IQ tests and so forth are actually rather dull, and could provoke anxiety in an insecure person- and measurement by the standard testing process could be quite unrepresentative of true working memory.
In other words - neuropsychological testing may only be measuring working memory in the test situation.

Whenever you see a crowd all rushing in the same direction on any one issue, run in the opposite direction.

There is neither fun nor profit to be had in polishing the brass knobs on a bandwagon.
Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kunga Dorji For This Useful Post:
Crazygirl79 (09-25-09)
Old 09-25-09, 07:29 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

firstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to behold
Re: Measuring Working Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barliman View Post
In other words - neuropsychological testing may only be measuring working memory in the test situation.

Therefore giving instead an unmeasured level of comparative (and unquantifiable) anxiety (comparing stress levels) between people who are otherwise equally competent. Good point. So, does my anxiety cause a (neural) dysfunction or does a (neural) dysfunction cause me anxiety?

Visit the Exercise Forum here to check out the Get Fit Club, a group of people changing their lives for the better by caring for themselves enough to exercise.

"Spend a day in my head before you tell me what my problem is!"
The Following User Says Thank You to firstdesserts For This Useful Post:
Crazygirl79 (09-25-09)
Old 09-25-09, 11:07 PM

Thanked 10,193 Times in 3,205 Posts
mctavish23 has disabled reputation

The short answer is ..."No."

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)
The Following User Says Thank You to mctavish23 For This Useful Post:
PickMeUpRoadie (09-25-09)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-09, 03:26 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,141 Times in 2,896 Posts
Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mctavish23 View Post
The short answer is ..."No."

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)
Thankyou.
I thought not.
(I assume you are responding to me rather than first desserts) .

Whenever you see a crowd all rushing in the same direction on any one issue, run in the opposite direction.

There is neither fun nor profit to be had in polishing the brass knobs on a bandwagon.
Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kunga Dorji For This Useful Post:
mctavish23 (09-28-09)
Old 09-26-09, 10:56 AM
Contributor

rd_wnc is a jewel in the roughrd_wnc is a jewel in the roughrd_wnc is a jewel in the rough

The book "ADD in Adults: What the Science Says" by Barkely has a section on Neurophychological functioning. He cautions clinicians about relying on the specific test algorithms and results for the very reason you name. There appears to be a lot of variation in how ADDers perform on tests. I know for me if I'm in a clinical situation being tested my adrenaline kicks in a bit and I tend to focus. Give me the same test at 3:00 on a Friday in my office though and I can't imagine they wouldn't differ.