ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 10-28-09, 03:12 AM

kaomax is on a distinguished road
Diagnosed today with AD/HD, question about meds

I have a question for everyone today, I'm Maxine and was diagnosed today with AD/HD, no surprise there. Like most people, I began suspecting I had AD/HD and went to see a psych to be diagnosed. However, my psych suspects that along with the AD/HD, I may have a bipolar disorder.

Reasons are, I believe, because during the session I experienced a crying spell while talking with the psych, not sure why, but I believe it could be I was just nervous and felt extremely uncomfortable speaking with a complete stranger about personal issues. I've also experienced periods of depression, but only because there were changes occurring in my life and lots of stress that I feel caused the depression; my depression didn't just appear out of the blue.

She prescribed me with Focalin XR and Ambilify. I am however hesitant to begin the Ambilify only because it was my first meeting with the doctor and I personally believe that any emotional instability is the result of my ADD and not a mood disorder like Bipolar disorder.

I was given instructions to take the meds and see my psych again in two weeks.

Should I trust her judgement and just take the Ambilify along with the Focalin XR? Or am I right to be hesitant about taking Ambilify?

Thanks!
Old 10-28-09, 06:23 AM

gopaqgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Diagnosed today with AD/HD, question about meds

You were probably crying because you were getting all of this off your chest. I had that happen when I went in for depression years ago. I didn't think I was depressed because I didn't have the classic signs. I started talking and my eyes were like fountains! Anyway, I got on the depression meds and they worked wonderful.

What about calling the doc and saying you don't feel comfortable starting the Amblify and would like to just start the Focalin and see the doc in two weeks? Also, sometimes certain ADD meds can cause some depression so that might be a reason why you were prescribed the Amblify.

I wouldn't just not take it without talking to a doctor because there maybe a good reason why he/she combined those two meds and without the Amblify, the doc may think you should take a different ADHD med.

Lastly, if you don't think in the least that you have bipolar disorder, see another doctor.
Old 10-28-09, 06:52 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 21,931 Times in 7,991 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Diagnosed today with AD/HD, question about meds

I actually agree with you. I too would be hesitant about taking a drug for something I haven't been demonstrated to have. If a couple of crying jags when speaking of something as hidden and personal as ADHD qualified as bi-polar.. well, we'd all be bi-polar probably..

You are in charge of your body, your mind and your health. Your Dr, has a responsibility to treat you to the best of their knowledge. Trust you .. you've lived without the ablify this long... you can live without it until you can discuss your reluctance and perhaps disagreement further. It is not unusual to ascribe symptoms of adhd to bi-polar because there is symptom overlap. (symptoms that appear the same tho they have different causes)
Sponsored Links