ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Wellbutrin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Wellbutrin (bupropion hcl)

Old 09-04-05, 09:42 PM
Committee Member

ltlangl2 is on a distinguished road
Wellbutrin and shortness of breath

all right her is goes

I was prescribed Wellbutrin SR 150 1x a day on a Friday I got shortness of breath went to doctor on monday and she told me to stop for 1 week and start again. I didn't cuz I feel happier and my 8 year old told me I am nicer!!! She gave me a prescription of xanax said it was anxiety. I really don't think that is it tho. I think that it is a side effect called bronchospasm the problem is is that it isn't getting any better. But I don't want to stop taking because of the effect it is having on my anger issues, depression, and to my surprise my undiagnosed ADD (daughter has it that is how i figured out that i have it)

Anyway do the XL and immediate release work differently than the SR. I mean i get how the 3 work but if I go on immediate release and the dose is smaller is it possible that I won't have this side effect anymore? This med really works for me but this side effect is killing me!!!

Thanks Robin

One more thing the Xanax seems to help the breathing problem but it comes back daily and I don't want to get addicted to the Xanax. I take 1 at night to sleep through the night and another when I start feeling the chest thing. I don't really think that it is anxiety because it comes every stinking day. Also does the dizziness fade with time cuz I can't even drive.

Last edited by ltlangl2; 09-04-05 at 09:55 PM..
Old 12-06-05, 08:29 PM
Jr Member

sunstarmn has disabled reputation
I know this is an older post, but I wanted to reply. I started Wellbutrin SR a couple weeks ago. I also took it back in 2001. When I took it the first time, I started getting the shortness of breath feeling. Like I can't take a deep breath. I have to keep yawning to get a good breath. And, then I have to cough too and nothing comes up. My Dr. said it was anxiety, and gave me Xanax. I loved the Xanax, but also didn't want to get addicted. Anyway, so I recently started it again and the shortness of breath came back. I hate it! I guess I'm not meant to take Wellbutrin. I really wanted to, and it has made me cut way back on smoking. I have this "air hunger" and it's very annoying. I really hate to stop taking it. I'm not sure if I have a choice.
Old 12-14-05, 05:55 PM

Anonymous_steve is on a distinguished road
Funny to find this, i get shortness of breath also. I thought i might have screwed up my lungs from smoking. I quit a year ago. I can run 5k in like 38 minutes but if i run up stairs and stop i feel like i am 100 or something. I never thought i could be welbutrin but maybe. I have been taking welbutrine for almost a year.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-06, 06:13 PM
Committee Member

Imbizzy2 is on a distinguished road
I have only been on WellbutrinXR for a few days, but I am feeling these same side effects. I feel like I'm 100 years old when I try to get up and walk up the stairs, my muslces just feel so tight and my body feels so heavy. I am also have abdominal pains and my abdominal muscles feel tight.

I, too, feel as though I can't get a good breath in, my breaths are very short and its hard for me to get a good deep one in. I'm not sure how long these side effects last, hopefully not too long cause I don't think I could deal with it everyday.

Glad to see others with the same symptoms, puts my mind at ease.

Art is the only way to run away without leaving home. -Twyla Tharp

I don't paint things. I only paint the difference between things. -Henri Matisse
Old 03-20-06, 06:11 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,017 Times in 640 Posts
QueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant future
The Stimulants are well known to cause Muscle Tightness and Discomfort.
Old 03-20-06, 06:24 PM

Thanked 1,017 Times in 640 Posts
QueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant future
Stimulants can also cause shortness of breath. (I had it with RITALIN, too.)

She prescribed you Xanax? I'm shocked. My Doctor stopped prescribing that about 10 years ago, due to all the people getting into problem with it.

Your Doctor scares me.
Old 03-20-06, 07:14 PM

Scattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to allScattered is a name known to all
Shortness of breath can also mean heart trouble and since Wellbutrin is a stimulating antidepressant -- I would take the symptoms seriously and follow a doctor's advice. If you don't trust your current doctor, see another one, but be careful with your health.

Take care,
Scattered

"You're slow because you don't listen and you're forgetful!" - 7th grade friend
Old 11-19-09, 08:58 PM

dadsfavoriteone is on a distinguished road
Re: Wellbutrin and shortness of breath

I started taking wellbutrin on Friday, the following Tuesday I started to feel moderalty short of breath, Wed I went to the doctors, my lungs sounded fine he said. My jaw hurts from constantly yawning from trying to take deep breaths. I have not taken wellbutrin since wed and the breathing has not gotten any better. If this is caused by the wellbutrin how long does this take for it to go away, I feel like I'm dying here.
Old 08-09-10, 11:38 PM

mike274 is on a distinguished road

I know this is an older post as well that I'm responding to. I started Wellbutrin SR 150mg x 1 on Saturday and today (Monday), I've noticed the short, shallow breathing. I feel as if I have decreased lung capacity and I as if I have been smoking (like my lungs are full of smoke). it's an odd feeling.

I already have an appointment to see my doctor in the morning, but I wasn't sure if any else has had similar issues and what they did about it.

Michael
Old 08-11-10, 08:51 AM

mike274 is on a distinguished road

Well, just a followup on my previous post. The issue with shortness of breath has seemed to go away. Maybe it's just my body adjusting to the medication.
Old 10-04-10, 05:27 PM

xXdemo911Xx is on a distinguished road

I went through several adjustments with WB. I started out having shortness of breath but it quickly dissipated after several weeks. If I have too much caffeine (more often than not), my breath becomes very shallow and anxiety is induced. I cannot believe that your doctor would prescribe Xanax to treat a non-condition, rather a side effect. Doctors are not out to cause harm, but many doctors do not understand correct assignment of medication to treat a condition/disorder. If you feel that there is something not right with the medication you're being prescribed, it's for a good reason and you should look into your declination.
Old 10-05-10, 12:19 PM

zwyt is on a distinguished road

I was going to leave this one alone because it seemed to be an old post, but since someone chimed in as recent as yesterday I'll give it a go. I have experience with both anxiety symptoms and taking Bupropion. The symptoms of shortness of breath that some people have described on here do indeed sound anxiety related and they are probably triggered by initial anxiety caused by the Bupropion which can be a side effect of the medication, commonly is in fact, especially at first. This sounds exactly like hyperventilation. The shortness of breath does not come from not getting enough oxygen but rather getting too much of it in your blood stream. The cycle works like this.

Anxiety causes an increase in respiration and heart rate which can sometimes cause to much of an increase in the oxygen content in the blood, this results in a chemical change taking place in the blood that will result in symptoms like shortness of breath; a feeling of not being able to take a deep satisfying breath, so you try harder often by breathing deeper and faster which is the exact reverse of what you need to be doing in this case because this further increases the oxygen level in the blood and increases the symptoms. The symptoms are scary which often causes the person to respond with more anxiety and more increased heart rate and faster respiration. If this continues you will begin to get tingling and numbness in your hands and feet which can also be quite scary, if it continues and accelerates enough you will pass out at which time you will ultimately relax and your breathing will return to normal.

It is important to note that you will not die from hyperventilation alone, you will pass out long before it becomes fatal and your breathing will return to normal. Not everyone goes so far as to pass out though. The most common remedy for this condition when it happens is a good ole fashioned paper bag. About the size that you would pack a brown bag lunch in, put it over your mouth and nose and just breath in and out inflating and deflating the bag for a few seconds... 20-30 seconds maybe. This raised the carbon dioxide level in your blood and lowers the oxygen level back down and gets rid of those scary and uncomfortable symptoms. If your still anxious they may come back if they do just use the bag again. It is not uncommon at all to be prescribed an anti-anxiety medication like Xanax or Klonipin to manage these symptoms. So the doc who says its just anxiety is probably right they are just not explaining well enough what the anxiety is doing to produce those symptoms. I find that a lot of doctors are notorious for not explaining things very well. They diagnose treat and go on sometimes not even explaining at all. Hope this helps some one. Oh and simply relaxing and controlling your breathing can often help this as well. You can many times train yourself to not hyperventilate by controlling breathing when you feel anxious. Breath control that I learned through relaxation techniques and martial arts classes helped me a lot when I had trouble with this.

Charles
The Following User Says Thank You to zwyt For This Useful Post:
StoicNate (04-13-17)
Old 12-27-10, 05:26 PM

c.crawford is on a distinguished road

Thanks zwyt for the info. I know its 2 months after the fact but I wanted to post anyway. I took Welbutrin (generic) a year ago for 3 months or so and didnt remember having these problems. I am on week 3 and the shortness of breath has been ongoing for about a week but it seems that the obvious anxiety that was cause by Welbutrin has been lowered. I am hoping that my body will get use to the drug on week 4 since I have an upcoming vacation and dont want to go through these symptoms.

It makes me feel a little better that others are having the same problem. I think if it last more then a couple of more weeks, I will have to quit. Im sure I had a lot less anxiety before taking Welbutrin. I do agree that its a low level of anxiety that is causing the shortness of breathe.
Old 11-14-13, 10:22 PM

Montalyn is on a distinguished road

I found this thread because I was researching if Wellbutrin could cause shortness of breath. I was put on vyvanse 40 mg once a day in January. No problems. Late July, I was put on Wellbutrin. By late August, I couldn't climb the 10 stairs up and down to the basement without feeling as if I'd pass out, breathing heavy. I've undergone Methylcholine test for asthma and they said my lungs are perfect. Now, I'm seeing a cardiologist December 6th. I'm curious as to if it's the Wellbutrin ... and if so ... will this stop when I quit taking it...or is this permanent now?
Old 11-26-13, 11:22 PM

Canadian is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Re: Wellbutrin and shortness of breath

I have been on wellbutrin for about 2 and half years now. I am so scared. I have shortness of breath and was told i have boarderline C.o p d. Maybe i do, but i find it strange that if i relax and forget my breathing iam not gasping for breath or yawning. I feel like i can not get that one last deep breath in that we all are supose to take easily and without thinking about it. I am trying to find out if it is the wellbutrin or Copd. I have had stress to no end for the last 3 years. I feel moody, and agitated most of the time. Now the doc tells me i have hypothyroidism.. oh and did i mention menopause. Iam 44. Any input would be greatly appreciated. You are the first person i have found that sounds familiar to myself.