ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Sleeping
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-18, 06:42 PM
ADDvanced Member

Muggzy will become famous soon enough
Re: How do you fall asleep ?

Pot used to work but has seemed to stop having the instant tranq effects it used to have 10+ years ago.
Now I alternate between two diff OTC sleep pills, Dyphenhydramine and Doxolomine Succinate (sp?)
The only nights I really have trouble anymore are Sundays, it's like the angst of "OMG I need to get to sleep or I will have a hard time waking up for work tomorrow" makes it twice as hard to fall asleep.

I also have one of those white noise machines but that is more because we also have too many dogs and they bark often at night.
All three of us on Adderall
IT Professional
In and out of counseling all my life... any questions, just ask!
Old 08-17-18, 02:52 AM
ADDvanced Member

BrandyDW is a jewel in the roughBrandyDW is a jewel in the roughBrandyDW is a jewel in the rough

When I first started Adderall a week ago I was having insomnia from it - literally only got 3 hours of sleep in 5 days. So then I got the sleep pill sonata. Only short term, but now I’m also able to take naps again.

On Adderall for ADHD, lyrica for Fibromyalgia, lexapro and viibryd for depression and anxiety, cosentyx for psoriasis, cyclosporine for IC,
Old 08-17-18, 11:32 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,005 Times in 2,061 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation

You say you slept ok before your adhd got worse. What made your adhd worse? Fix that and you'll probably be able to sleep again. It'll probably fix other problems as well.

I couldn't sleep when I was extremely stressed from something. Got rid of the stress creator and I now don't have any troubles sleeping.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-18, 11:47 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,589 Times in 1,215 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute

Check out Iris or f.lux, which are programs that dim the computer bright blue light as bedtime nears ... Working on the laptop before bed is not good ... totally stimulates the brain ...

So I use one of these programs ... which gradually dims the computer light. I can still see fine ... and the closer I get to bed, I reduce the brightness manually on my computer as well.

I am a natural night owl ... and I find I need to dim lights in my room starting like 2 hours before I want to sleep ... I'm actually going to get wifi bulbs and program them to automatically dim ... with hyperfocus I sometimes forget to dim the lights.

I also take a extended release melatonin in the early evening ... and sometimes I take a half-pill of ambien ...

Sleep is a real issue ... Just came back from visiting college friends ... they're in mid 50s like me ... and they are extreme Non-ADHD ... and they are having trouble sleeping well ...

Exercise helps ... meditation early in day ... and before bed (which I'm not good at) REALLY helps. Stopping coffee after 12 noon helps ...

Last edited by ToneTone; 08-17-18 at 12:05 PM..
Old 08-17-18, 02:07 PM
Contributor

Funky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to all

I typically binge on streaming TV or movies until I can't keep my eyes open. It's terrible strategy, but it's what works and it's what's been working for the last 10 years or so, so I stick with it. I know scheduling is important, but my schedule has been up ended, rearranged, and otherwise chaotic for most of my life, so it's hard to keep any structure going.

I also spent a fair amount of time relying on cannabis to help me get to sleep, but that stopped working a long time ago, and I've also realized that smoking cannabis pretty much goes against every form of treatment that I've tried to combat my ADD.

I am very much a creature of habit, and unfortunately I've spent most of my life building bad habits that I have since been trying to undo. It's a struggle, for sure. But when it works, the benefits outweigh everything else.
Old 08-19-18, 10:06 AM
ADDvanced Member

1000koni has much to be proud of1000koni has much to be proud of1000koni has much to be proud of1000koni has much to be proud of1000koni has much to be proud of1000koni has much to be proud of1000koni has much to be proud of1000koni has much to be proud of1000koni has much to be proud of1000koni has much to be proud of

I am not sure if my poor sleep is due to add in and of itself, or co-morbid stuff, but generally a lot of poor life hygiene issues, and they knock on to poor sleep. In the sense it is all part of some merry-go-round, they are connected. It would certainly help if I could slow down when I am tired instead of speeding up, and eat more regularly and when I am hungry. This is probably about poor emotional regulation and recognition, being over engaged and subsequently under connected. Sure a few obvious things, like less coffee in the afternoon, a window of time during which it would be good to hit the sack. Though I do take some sleep meds. Nevertheless, I want to ask, do you ever have strong urge to (suddently) lie down? It seems to happen unpredictibly, by experience of being strongly moved. Today it happened in an orthodox church, but it lurks at unspoken times.