ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Men with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Men with ADD/ADHD This forum is for men to discuss issues related to being a man with AD/HD.

Old 05-25-10, 03:32 AM

adwithouthd will become famous soon enough
Math and hyperfocus

If anyone is doing any higher level Math/Stat/Physics stuff, could he tell me, if he feels the same way, that there is an inclination towards hyperfocusing?

My problem has always been that my focus isn't there at all or when it is there, it is hyperfocus. In that state of mind, that is, hyperfocus, I get very awkard, even when I have completed the task, it is almost as if I feel the 'hangover' afterwards.

Nothing around exists, its as if, anyone says anything, then you don't hear it or ignore it, and after a while it occurs to you what the person might have been saying. If the person insists on the distraction, by shaking you or something, then you kind of feel angry.

You sort of get totally oblivious to your surroundings, even to yourself, and all that has your attention, is the stuff that you are doing.

At first I thought this was the case with everybody because it was the case with me, but I am surprised that, people can attend to their task for a few minutes, and if there is a distraction, attend to the distraction, then get back immediately to the task, and so on.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to adwithouthd For This Useful Post:
βĩο₱Ħعℓĩ (07-01-10), Covenant (07-13-10), Dagwood (07-27-10), matto (09-28-10)
Old 05-25-10, 08:22 AM
Contributor

rd_wnc is a jewel in the roughrd_wnc is a jewel in the roughrd_wnc is a jewel in the rough
Re: Math and hyperfocus

I'm so easily distracted I RARELY do this. Occasionally I'll be so into something that I lose track of time or realize that I haven't moved for hours.

Most of the time it's a fight just to keep myself in the chair and I'd be happy if I could tap into some hyperfocus.
Old 05-25-10, 01:25 PM
ADDvanced Member

ruby-lang has a spectacular aura aboutruby-lang has a spectacular aura about

I'm not working with pure science, but I know the feeling. I suspect Math is a subject that makes it easy to hyperfocus, since all you need is a sheet of paper, a pencil, and a handful of axioms.

Any person can reach a state of mind similar to hyperfocus. It's called flow. I think the main difference is intensity: hyperfocusing requires more time and energy, and once you lost it, you lost it; but once you are in that state, nothing but blocking your view will snap you out of it. Flow can be recovered in roughly 15 minutes after an interruption, but doesn't involve going so deep you feel disoriented when you are back.
The Following User Says Thank You to ruby-lang For This Useful Post:
βĩο₱Ħعℓĩ (07-01-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-10, 11:47 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

gnbeg has a spectacular aura aboutgnbeg has a spectacular aura about

It's been a long time since I did advanced math. Back to college actually. I won't divulge how long that is.

I'd get lost in solving the problem. So I guess, yes, I'd hyperfocus. I totally bombed physics. It just didn't have the same rules and structure that pure math has. Maybe it does, but it never clicked. I loved calculus, matrix theory, engineering math, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to gnbeg For This Useful Post:
Covenant (07-13-10)
Old 05-27-10, 12:03 AM

dubstep08 is on a distinguished road

I find math or anything i am really not interested in is hard to focus. In college i had to doodle alot then listen then fiddle around with something or space out then listen it's almost like tring to get a pear of old binoculars to focus right at an object 200 yards away. Even when i am working around the house i will work on 8 diffrent projects a day. We lose interest in things very easly or have a uncontrolling thoughts of something new. It gets old neddless to say if i could just finish one whole project before the next it would be a miricle but wish in one hand and s&%$ in the other you know which one fills up first. You are not alone fine tunning and steping back to look at yourself from the outside you can say relax take a brake and chill for a min.
Old 05-27-10, 05:24 PM

Ruby,

It could be flow as well-- I am not sure whether it is hyperfocus or flow. But if I am stuck on a problem, I get into the zone, and if I am not able to solve it, then a distraction can only get me off it.

This is why I avoid pure Math as I try to avoid the flow lol....takes too much outta you.
Old 05-28-10, 09:44 AM
ADDvanced Member

Fezzik has a spectacular aura aboutFezzik has a spectacular aura about

I have always thought of it as obsession. Usually it happens when I get stuck on a computer issue but not understanding a Math concept has dropped me. In college Algebra I got lost in figuring out my calculator and sometimes lost the whole class time stuck in the calculator.
Old 05-28-10, 03:24 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

ronball has much to be proud ofronball has much to be proud ofronball has much to be proud ofronball has much to be proud ofronball has much to be proud ofronball has much to be proud ofronball has much to be proud ofronball has much to be proud ofronball has much to be proud of

I did that when i was younger. The problem was, I'd often pick a problem apart so thoroughly, then something near the end would distract me, and I'd practically have to go over the whole solution again.

I hated proofs.
Old 05-28-10, 03:34 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,771 Times in 774 Posts
Possum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond repute

I did the hyperfocus thing one summer when I was taking calculus in college. I put a desk in my basement which had no windows, and I'd spend the afternoons down there solving calculus problems. It was the only way I was going to pass the course because I disliked calculus and found myself easily distracted from studying it. I had to be in an environment with zero distractions and that worked.
Old 05-28-10, 04:16 PM

SpencerSpencer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby-lang View Post
I'm not working with pure science, but I know the feeling. I suspect Math is a subject that makes it easy to hyperfocus, since all you need is a sheet of paper, a pencil, and a handful of axioms.

Any person can reach a state of mind similar to hyperfocus. It's called flow. I think the main difference is intensity: hyperfocusing requires more time and energy, and once you lost it, you lost it; but once you are in that state, nothing but blocking your view will snap you out of it. Flow can be recovered in roughly 15 minutes after an interruption, but doesn't involve going so deep you feel disoriented when you are back.

Yup! Flow occurs when intensity level is equal to your maximum skill level, every motion is not only immediate but also natural. Everything clicks and your in the zone, its effortless. I've heard about hyperfocusing, my understanding is that its usually past the persons ability and skill level and therefore requires so much concentration that it can physically drain the individual. I can't imagine its healthy to do consistently, just because of the stressors involved in the action.
Old 05-30-10, 04:11 AM

Exactly. And, then, if someone distracts you when you are towards the end of solving it, it really puts you off.

In fact I feel the same way with proofs, getting pretty close to proving it and then, because of a minute distraction, forgetting the whole directioin of proof.
Old 05-30-10, 04:16 AM

Yeah, I thought so, I am more inclined towards hyperfocus than flow I believe-- and the amount of effort and stress it takes out of you, it only works in bursts-- it is hard to stretch it consistently because it is so mentally draining.

Well, most of the things that I have learned in recent times, whether be math-related or otherwise, have been through hyperfocusing. In fact hyperfocus is the only way I learn I guess.

Though I think I know what flow is, I have experienced it 3,4 times altogether (and mostly pretty recently), usually inspired by anger, and I suppose that is the best feeling of all-- everything just comes together miraculously perfectly.
Old 05-30-10, 07:00 AM
Contributor

barnops is just really nicebarnops is just really nicebarnops is just really nicebarnops is just really nice

I've noticed that I experience hyperfocus when I am focused/working on something that (even without meds) I would be more inclined to work on. Super annoying though.

Just my 2 cents
Old 07-01-10, 08:16 PM

griffinz has a spectacular aura aboutgriffinz has a spectacular aura about

I can definitely relate. Taking differential & integral calculus would often have me focusing on various parts of the problem for long periods of time. I felt like I had to fully understand it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundame...em_of_calculus

Funny thing is, I think I will be jumping back into college again!
Old 07-03-10, 09:29 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 10,526 Times in 5,692 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

calculus problem solving train A leaves san francisco around 8 train B leaves NY at 10 what time do they meet in the middle at?I'd be like who gives a whahoo what time they meet is class over yet?Or Id act up and made sure I got sent to iss where I got to look at the wall for 30 minutes to an hour an my brain could stop hurting.never got that far I sucked at math and probably am mathematically illiterate if the term does indeed exist.