ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Men with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Men with ADD/ADHD This forum is for men to discuss issues related to being a man with AD/HD.

Old 09-28-10, 01:49 AM

Dollar Bill is on a distinguished road
MD does not like vyvanse for seniors.

My MD told me that he thinks my taking Vyvanse is a bad idea because I am 67. I am in exceptional condition. Normal blood pressure. No heart problems. No hypertension. 6'1 and weigh about 200 pounds. Big bones. Not overweight, exercise regularly.

The MD seems to be basing his opinion on "older people in general," rather than any specific medical condition that I or others my age may have. He said he considers it a drug that young people take episodically to pass college exams -- and that NONE of his patients over 60 take it.

In fact he does not like any ADD, AD/HD medications for people over 60.

Opinions?
Old 09-28-10, 11:25 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,771 Times in 774 Posts
Possum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond reputePossum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: MD does not like vyvanse for seniors.

I think your doctor is full of it. As long as you are in fit physical condition, you should be able to handle stims. And vyvance is NOT just for college kids! I am 59 and my doctor prescribed vyvance for me. Unfortunately, my insurance wouldn't cover it, so I am now taking adderall XR.

Were you treated for ADDH in the past? When did you discover that you had ADDH?
Old 09-28-10, 12:05 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 8,347 Times in 3,313 Posts
salleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond repute

and I am 60, and have high blood pressure ......brb.,.....hee hee forgot to take my meds for that !...anyway, the high BP is controlled very well by medication, and my doc ( the GP) has no problem with my taking Dex (IR) .....and neither does my pdoc....( one is here in California, the other in Michigan, ...I spend 1/2 year here, 1/2 year there...)

so that's 2 from my experience who have no problem ...and the pdoc in Michigan prescribed Ritalin to my friends 92 year old aunt ....92 !.....hah !.....

find another doctor ......this one's an idiot

....This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in the oncoming traffic lane"
Terry Pratchett

....If you're going through hell, ......keep going.....
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-10, 12:05 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 8,347 Times in 3,313 Posts
salleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond repute

oh and I take 90mg a day ......

....This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in the oncoming traffic lane"
Terry Pratchett

....If you're going through hell, ......keep going.....
Old 09-28-10, 04:07 PM

Dollar Bill is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
I think your doctor is full of it. As long as you are in fit physical condition, you should be able to handle stims. And vyvance is NOT just for college kids! I am 59 and my doctor prescribed vyvance for me. Unfortunately, my insurance wouldn't cover it, so I am now taking adderall XR.

Were you treated for ADDH in the past? When did you discover that you had ADDH?
The psychiatrist MD likes the vyvance the internist MD has the problem. I am taking the psychiatrist advice. Thanks for the feedback.

A close friend began taking vyvance for ADDH. His focus and follow-through improved exponentially! I went to see a psychiatrist because I looked up the symptoms and too many of them fit me! The psychiatrist gave me tests and suggested I needed the medication. It has helped me enormously!
The Following User Says Thank You to Dollar Bill For This Useful Post:
Possum (09-28-10)