ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Aspergers/Autism Spectrum/PDD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-18, 02:24 AM
ADDvanced Member

Tetrahedra is just really niceTetrahedra is just really niceTetrahedra is just really niceTetrahedra is just really nice
Social Deficits, ADHD vs ASD

At what point are social deficits not considered "ADHD" but "ASD"?

I know I have ADHD. I suspect I may have ASD, too, but since I don't fit the textbook definition, I don't know. But I've always struggled with social situations (though the ADHD kid/teen I was never picked up on the struggle despite the damage that was done). ADHD has social deficits, but to me, now that I've been diagnosed with ADHD and gone through therapy, I feel like my social challenges have well exceeded that which ADHDers experience. Unfortunately I haven't found many articles about this, so I may still be within the realm of ADHD.

I'm not providing specific examples or anything because I'm not asking for a diagnosis. I am just curious about the topic - any insight (especially further reading) would be appreciated. You're welcome to ask me for more information, though.
Old 01-13-18, 12:38 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Batman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Social Deficits, ADHD vs ASD

Yes, I often wonder about this a lot, myself. I also suspect having Asperger's but it would be an atypical presentation; not bright, not overfocused (the opposite), poor logical thinking, poor math skills, etc.

But I still tick the boxes for the major traits, in my opinion anyway. Those being a need for sameness/routines/rituals; idiosyncratic language; social difficulties.

It would be nice to know what causes what. The other question is if inattentive ADHD can be bad enough (my inattention is severe to say the least) to mimic some elements of autism. This is really just a very confusing thing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Batman55 For This Useful Post:
Tetrahedra (02-02-18)
Old 01-14-18, 08:30 PM

Fredrica is on a distinguished road

I can understand the desire to want to figure all of this out, but I am wondering, if you are not interested in a diagnosis, why the label really matters. Have you considered being evaluated by a speech-language pathologist, who has training in social cognition or social pragmatics? This may help identify your specific social weaknesses and may help develop a treatment plan to improve them. Even if you don't know the origin, you can still grow and develop your weaknesses.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fredrica For This Useful Post:
Tetrahedra (02-02-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-18, 02:20 AM
ADDvanced Member

Tetrahedra is just really niceTetrahedra is just really niceTetrahedra is just really niceTetrahedra is just really nice

It's a matter of curiosity, I suppose. One day if I have money to spend, I could pursue a diagnosis, but for the mean time, I'm just gathering information.
Old 04-30-18, 02:46 PM

mind_in_orbit is on a distinguished road

I haven't met any adults with ADHD only, though I'm kind of the reverse of you in that I have traits that the majority of Asperger's only don't seem to have. In particular, aspie adults I meet are rarely hyperactive and high-energy like I am, which means that when they're creative it's less like a kaleidoscopic outpouring of colors and emotions, and more like a quiet, methodical exploration of things.

How I was different from the ADHD kids I knew back in school was that I WAS exceptional at math, yet I was nearly totally oblivious to the day-to-day goings-on around me. While some people suggest that autistic disconnectedness results from the world being too intense, with me it's been the opposite, that it's not intense enough to hold my interest for very long.

For me, paying attention to other people is almost like staying awake when very tired--if you're sleepy you can stay awake, but you have to fight sleep, and that gets really tiring. Similarly, for me, fighting zoning out is tiring. And in fact, many adult aspies seem better at this than I am. In other words, they are OK staying aware of the things one needs to do to function as an adult. For me, this is exhausting, whereas coming up with scientific theories isn't. So in a way I'm "more autistic" than many of them are, even though I'm better at having a conversation than many of them are.
Old 04-30-18, 05:03 PM
Contributor

LyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to behold

Um. ASD have problems with body language and facial expressions. ADHD probably wouldn't have those. Autism also comes with inability to pick up on subtle cues for things like sarcasm or what is joking and what is insulting (particularly as a child). Restrictive conversation about obsessions. I'm very
familiar with these as I have an ASD son.

ASD seems to be caused by an actual breakdown in the brain of social functioning. Something goes wrong there. My son is oblivious most of the time. He just can't give a flying f***. One time he just waltzed up and told the teacher she was doing a ****ty job and he could teach the class better than she was. Ah, child of mine. No clue that he just embarrassed a teacher in front of the entire class and that he was out of line and causing a scene. He may well have been right but it was inappropriate to say so.

ADHDers I feel could have problems due to things like lack of impulse control. Talking too much in a conversation, cutting people off. Coming across as overbearing. Coming into a group and taking over a conversation. I work with 3 ADHD people so I get these things all the time. Even with ADHD I get ADHDed.

One of the biggest factors, with autism at least, of prognosis is intelligence. How clever you are at figuring out how to play the game. I learned to play the game. It mentally and physically exhausts me but I can do it. The older you get the better you get at "fitting in" and the less autistic you may seem to others. And in all fairness being female, while more rare in women, seems to give an advantage. Speculatively something to do with how gender roles are taught if I recall correctly.

I have a lot more issues than just being an aspie so those may add to the fact that I'm still seen as eccentric and weird. Only at work do I get to see pure ADHD. We are all co morbid in my house.

Either way the end result is the same. Seek therapy if it's a problem. If it doesn't bother you much just stay weird like me. I've lost track of how many times I'm told by my friends at work "you're being inappropriate again" or "you're being weird again".
The Following User Says Thank You to LyrinMeow For This Useful Post:
latestart (06-16-18)