ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Dexedrine/Dextrostat
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Dexedrine/Dextrostat (dextroamphetamine)

Old 07-11-17, 08:58 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,356 Times in 782 Posts
Little Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud of
Re: New to Dexedrine IR:How long dose one dose last for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcctUhd456 View Post
How do I reply from quoting like you have done above?
Put the text between a Quote Command and an End Quote command.

Quote = (Quote)
End Quote = (/Quote)

Instead of parentheses use brackets. I couldn't show w/ brackets because it would show as quoted text and not what characters were input. (Little brain dead so hope this made sense.)

Example: (QUOTE)Put the text between the quote/end quote commands.(/QUOTE)

AGAIN USE [] AND NOT ()

HTH, -LN
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Nut For This Useful Post:
someothertime (07-25-17)
Old 07-23-17, 06:28 PM
Jr Member

D WoodIce is on a distinguished road

20 mg Capsules: Each capsule contains 20 mg lisdexamfetamine dimesylate, equivalent to 5.9 mg of dexamfetamine.
30 mg Capsules: Each capsule contains 30 mg lisdexamfetamine dimesylate, equivalent to 8.9 mg of dexamfetamine.
40 mg Capsules: Each capsule contains 40 mg lisdexamfetamine dimesylate, equivalent to 11.9 mg of dexamfetamine.
50 mg Capsules: Each capsule contains 50 mg lisdexamfetamine dimesylate, equivalent to 14.8 mg of dexamfetamine.
60 mg Capsules: Each capsule contains 60 mg lisdexamfetamine dimesylate, equivalent to 17.8 mg of dexamfetamine.
70 mg Capsules: Each capsule contains 70 mg lisdexamfetamine dimesylate, equivalent to 20.8 mg of dexamfetamine.

and just to clear up the misinformation posted in this thread...

lisdexamfetamine dimesylate IS dexamphetamine but it is dexamphetamine that is bonded to an amino acid called lysine.
The lysine is broken away leaving plain old regular dexamphetamine floating through your body.
it's "mechanism of action" is exactly the same, as it is the same drug.
It is simply it's mechanism of metabolisation that is different.

Last edited by namazu; 07-24-17 at 02:21 PM.. Reason: Sublingual administration is not the same as oral administration and is considered med misuse. Please see ADDF guidelines.
Old 07-24-17, 07:35 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,161 Times in 15,381 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by D WoodIce View Post
20 mg Capsules: Each capsule contains 20 mg lisdexamfetamine dimesylate, equivalent to 5.9 mg of dexamfetamine.
30 mg Capsules: Each capsule contains 30 mg lisdexamfetamine dimesylate, equivalent to 8.9 mg of dexamfetamine.
40 mg Capsules: Each capsule contains 40 mg lisdexamfetamine dimesylate, equivalent to 11.9 mg of dexamfetamine.
50 mg Capsules: Each capsule contains 50 mg lisdexamfetamine dimesylate, equivalent to 14.8 mg of dexamfetamine.
60 mg Capsules: Each capsule contains 60 mg lisdexamfetamine dimesylate, equivalent to 17.8 mg of dexamfetamine.
70 mg Capsules: Each capsule contains 70 mg lisdexamfetamine dimesylate, equivalent to 20.8 mg of dexamfetamine.

and just to clear up the misinformation posted in this thread...

lisdexamfetamine dimesylate IS dexamphetamine but it is dexamphetamine that is bonded to an amino acid called lysine.
The lysine is broken away leaving plain old regular dexamphetamine floating through your body.
it's "mechanism of action" is exactly the same, as it is the same drug.
It is simply it's mechanism of metabolisation that is different.
Under the tongue does NOT count as its not listed as an acceptable use with the prescribing/ oral use guidelines.
And you are not a doctor so you cant tell someone that its ok. Under the tongue is popular with people misusing and abusing drugs because the effects are felt much quicker.The same goes for chewing medications.
When it somes to spanules, crushing the beads also defeats the release mechanism.

I carried a watermelon?

Last edited by namazu; 07-24-17 at 02:22 PM.. Reason: quote consistency
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-17, 03:56 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by D WoodIce View Post
While we're on the topic of conversions, I think these stats are misleading. Dexamfetamine is NOT equal to dexedrine. Dexedrine is dexamfetamine sulfate. The sulfate has weight to it. For instance the 70 mg vyvanse = 20.8 mg dexamfetamine is probably equal to about 30 mg of dexedrine (dexamfetamine + sulfate). Also, Vyvanse tends to have greater bioavailability, which throws off simple mathematical ratios.

And why would anyone try taking Vyvanse sublingually? So many things wrong with this. It's a prodrug that is metabolized in the bloodstream, so even if you were trying to abuse a stimulant, it'd be a pretty expensive waste of money. Sublingual meds are designed to not damage your teeth, and since Vyvanse wasn't designed for this purpose, you shouldn't trust the inactive fillers in Vyvanse. Please don't abuse meds. It makes life difficult for the rest of us who actually need and and use it responsibly. I'm not directing this at you, just at people in general
Old 07-25-17, 10:05 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 14,986 Times in 6,694 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
While we're on the topic of conversions, I think these stats are misleading.
They’re not...they are accurate, if not precise.

If you link to my sticky posted earlier in the thread, you can find conversions for all the typical ADHD meds, and the equivalencies are based on chemical bases, not their salts and whatnot, so mass is taken into account.

Cheers,
Ian
The Following User Says Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
someothertime (07-25-17)
Old 07-28-17, 12:07 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Jenn1202 will become famous soon enough

Dex IR: 4 ish hours. Dex ER: 5-6 hours but it barely does anything. For me Dex has a cumulative effect. Taking 5 mg IR and then 1.25 mg four hours later keeps me focused for a good 6-7 hours.
Rx: 2007-2012: Ritalin LA 30, Ritalin IR 10 X 2; 2013: Daytrana 10; Jan-Jul 2014: Ritalin IR 10mg; Aug 2014: Adderall IR 5mg; Sep 2014: Dex IR 5mg (Barr/Mal); Nov 2015: Zenzedi 5mg; 2016: off meds; Current : Zenzedi 5mg
Dx: 2004: ADHD, 2012: Hyperthyroidism, medication-induced rapid heartbeat/palpitations; 2013: Hashimoto's, PVCs/PACs; 2014: Innocent heart murmur, 2016: Roemheld syndrome and the list goes on and on..
Old 07-31-17, 09:35 PM
ADDvanced Member

Question is on a distinguished road

In my experience dex instant release lasts about 4 hours BUT the timing seems to vary a lot depending on what i eat and whether i take it on a full stomach or not.

In general, dex seems to work less effectively when taken after a meal on a full stomach. My doctor used to tell me that the opposite was supposed to happen, but i read a post here where someone said that the stomach acid destroys some of the medication, which i guess makes sense. The difference is pretty large...sometimes the dose seems to do nearly nothing.

I've also noticed that dex sometimes lasts a lot shorter than the normal 4 hours or so...i'm not exactly sure what causes it. But by the 3 hour mark, I feel out of it and unable to concentrate. I can't narrow down a common factor for this...my latest theory is that it has to do with eating too many carbs, since too many carbs can cause a carb crash and make you tired, etc.
Old 08-01-17, 10:30 PM

Friendlyriver has a spectacular aura aboutFriendlyriver has a spectacular aura about

I have recently stopped taking Prozac which I was on for ages and now my regular smooth day of dosing and re-dosing on ir has gone crazy.

I used to take 10mg ir at 7, 10:30, 2:00, 5:30 .... NOW though - it feels like an intense crash about 2 hours after taking it, so basically the duration has been shortened with the absence of the prozac or the prozac was masking part of the up and down on the dex and now I am feeling the full rollercoaster of multiple ir doses. I cant tell if it is stronger or not. I have been feeling more ups and downs and it sucks.

I am seriously thinking of switching to the ER spansules, which I didn't really like while I was on the prozac. Maybe they will act differently now...
Old 05-20-18, 11:59 AM

runningwscissor is on a distinguished road

I'm taking dexedrine IR 15mg TID and, for me, it lasts 3 hrs - and this has been consistent for like 20 yrs.
Old 03-03-19, 04:33 AM
Jr Member

Hennessy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverwarrior View Post
Dexedrine works well for me. It's got its perks and its got its pitfalls. I take 60mg IR daily, + two 15 mg spansules spaced out. I'm a ****ty metabolizer, so the spansules help even out the drop offs I get from IR - which for me are abrupt and crappy. Dexedrine can help me focus, relieve symptoms (especially anxiety as someone else mentioned), but if I don't MAKE myself do things, I dont. I could take it and sit and think about what I'm going to do today - the whole day. And accomplish nothing. That's the pitfall. Adderall offers a bit of a kick to get going, dex doesn't (for me). But that's also a thing I struggle with regardless of meds.
I'm trying to find the right dose and times for Dex IR and Vyvanse. Are you able to give me an example of a schedule and amount? Taking 10-12.5 mg Dex makes me foggy unless I take the 70mg Vyvanse with it. Even then it lasts like an hour.

Doc has prescribed 140mg Vyvanse and 8-10 5mg but Vyvanse just gives me a crash within 40 minutes..