ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Sleeping
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-19, 09:19 AM

chelona is on a distinguished road
Melatonin for long-term

Hi everyone,

has anyone experience in taking melatonin for sleeping problems for long term? Any side effects? I take Ritalin in the morning and 2 mg Melatonin in the evening.
Old 06-30-19, 02:39 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,128 Times in 677 Posts
excel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to behold
Re: Melatonin for long-term

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelona View Post
Hi everyone,

has anyone experience in taking melatonin for sleeping problems for long term? Any side effects? I take Ritalin in the morning and 2 mg Melatonin in the evening.
Does the melatonin help you sleep
Old 06-30-19, 03:40 PM

chelona is on a distinguished road

Yes it does, for me! I take it half an hour before I go to bed and I need less time to fall asleep though waking up several times- but without it it is much worse...just think about possible side effects long term
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-19, 12:01 AM
Contributor

20thcenturyfox is a glorious beacon of light20thcenturyfox is a glorious beacon of light20thcenturyfox is a glorious beacon of light20thcenturyfox is a glorious beacon of light20thcenturyfox is a glorious beacon of light

The concern I always heard raised about melatonin supplements was that taking supplemental melatonin might suppress your ability to produce your own.

And I think in the long term this could be a legitimate concern, especially if you "abuse" melatonin by taking it at the wrong times, in the wrong light conditions, and ignoring other aspects of the circadian rhythm to which it should be entrained.

On the other hand, I think it is hard to overestimate the importance of sleep to other areas of our physical health and cognitive functioning. As we are learning more about sleep, hormones, and circadian rhythms, I think it should be possible to use melatonin intelligently as the OP is doing to reinforce one's own rhythms and promote better sleep/wake balance.

In this regard, don't forget other circadian elements of our evolutionary heritage, such as:
1. Promote your own natural melatonin by eliminating blue light entering your eyes in the evening by turning off devices or screening them or wearing amber goggles, and dimming yellow lights.
2. Don't eat late in the evening, to allow your insulin response to subside before bedtime (insulin interferes with melatonin).
3. Promote early morning cortisol release by jumping out of bed, exercising early and eating (something) early.
4. Then suppress cortisol by exposing your uncovered eyes to bright early morning sunshine (before there is enough UV to worry about).

Many people find there are other supplements that also help their sleep quality. Two I use are Magnesium citrate, 150mg and 100 mg progesterone taken topically. (Although progesterone is considered a "female" hormone, the research I have seen says you do not need to take estrogen with it, and it not harmful to men in the quantities I'm talking about.)
Old 10-16-19, 05:04 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,094 Times in 15,350 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I have taken melatonin for years with no issues.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 10-16-19, 05:26 AM
ADDvanced Member

benito is on a distinguished road

I work in the morning, afternoon and night shifts. I take melatonin the first days of the shift change and I am doing well.
Old 10-17-19, 01:41 PM
Forummarm

Thanked 8,223 Times in 2,587 Posts
Andi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond repute

I'm an insomniac. I am on several meds that should put me to sleep, I even take cbd oils and most nights my anxiety is enough that nothing can put me to sleep. Even meditation makes my anxiety worse at night...go figure. I tried Melatonin but it did nothing but keep me awake sadly and I have tried several different versions and strengths. I will say that I have friends that swear by it and meditation and have done so for years. Just doesn't work for me. I would suggest in taking breaks from meds, similar to what some say can be down for ADD meds. Take it during the week and go without on the weekend. May help lessen any impact from long-term use.

Everything I write is fully substantiated by my personal opinion.
Old 10-18-19, 01:45 PM
Contributor

Daniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to behold

I give melatonin to my 3 year old every night. Otherwise it's really hard for her to get into deep sleep with all the noise her older sisters make, and she'll stay up and annoy the 7 year old she shares a room with and no one sleeps!

Is there any evidence that long-term melatonin use for kids is damaging?

Be yourself, and the rest will follow.

Breathing is not optional. - Dr. Raymond Wertheim

What do you care what other people think? - Arline Feynman, to her husband, American physicist Richard P. Feynman

D.
Old 10-19-19, 01:51 PM
Contributor

Daniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to behold

The interesting thing is the 7 year old can't tolerate melatonin at all. I'd been giving it to her for a few weeks and she was getting really anxious, screaming fits and being terrified of windows and mirrors, almost psychotic. I was pondering taking her to a psychiatrist for anti-psychotics when I thought "hold on now, this started around the time she started taking melatonin." SO she discontinued the melatonin immediately and got better immediately.

If this same thing happens to one of your kids, discontinue the melatonin immediately. Seems not everyone's brain chemistry can tolerate it. My other two kids are fine with it, although the 10 year old refuses to take it because she hates taking any sort of medication.

Be yourself, and the rest will follow.

Breathing is not optional. - Dr. Raymond Wertheim

What do you care what other people think? - Arline Feynman, to her husband, American physicist Richard P. Feynman

D.