ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 07-12-18, 09:02 AM
ADDvanced Member

allesandro1 has a spectacular aura aboutallesandro1 has a spectacular aura about
alergic to adderall

I've been on Adderall for years but lately I've two allergic reactions to it: not really hives but an itchy feeling all over, even after applying prescription steroids. Has anyone had this experience?
Old 07-12-18, 09:14 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all
Re: alergic to adderall

I haven't had any experience with that reaction. How fast is the onset of the allergic reaction? Do you think it's caused by the amphetamine or one of the inactive ingredients?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CharlesH For This Useful Post:
allesandro1 (07-13-18), Little Missy (07-12-18)
Old 07-12-18, 09:14 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 21,412 Times in 11,482 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by allesandro1 View Post
I've been on Adderall for years but lately I've two allergic reactions to it: not really hives but an itchy feeling all over, even after applying prescription steroids. Has anyone had this experience?
No I have not but is it a different brand? Sometimes even the same brand will have changed formulas and you'll know by a new NDC# on the bottle or the sheet from the pharm. That could be a filler change.

Using RX steroids is the worst pathway to becoming dependant on those creams. I am serious about this. Most people don't know and the docs never tell you about them. They can become the nightmare you never imagined.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (07-12-18), Lunacie (07-12-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-18, 09:17 AM

Thanked 4,977 Times in 2,157 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Have you eliminated the other things you may have had a reaction to?

Chemicals - have you changed cleaners, deodorants etc

Histamines- what did you eat?

Artificial foods - some biscuits and ice cream leaves me scratching all night.

Animal fur, sand, grass etc

I live in Australia so itchy reactions to things here are quite common
allesandro1 (07-13-18), Lunacie (07-12-18)
Old 07-13-18, 12:31 AM
ADDvanced Member

allesandro1 has a spectacular aura aboutallesandro1 has a spectacular aura about

It begins about an hour after I take it. And no, no other changes
The Following User Says Thank You to allesandro1 For This Useful Post:
tudorose (07-13-18)
Old 07-13-18, 05:09 AM
ADDvanced Member

I've eliminated everything. It happened years ago when I was on high dosages. Now even the smallest dosage triggers a reaction. The doctor said it was a histamine reaction resulting from adrenaline. This is triggered by stimulants
The Following User Says Thank You to allesandro1 For This Useful Post:
tudorose (07-13-18)
Old 07-13-18, 07:47 AM

tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I've eliminated everything. It happened years ago when I was on high dosages. Now even the smallest dosage triggers a reaction. The doctor said it was a histamine reaction resulting from adrenaline. This is triggered by stimulants
Thanks for this post. I react badly to histamines and it's a major trigger for my fibro. I didn't know why I ended up with fibro but I did have extreme stress and adrenal fatigue from life events plus I was on dex. I can't take any adhd meds anymore. This has helped me understand why so thanks another piece of the puzzle.
Old 07-13-18, 07:58 AM

Thanked 21,412 Times in 11,482 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It begins about an hour after I take it. And no, no other changes
What did your doctor say to do?

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
Old 07-13-18, 11:46 AM
ADDvanced Member

stop the Adderall; take antihistamines, and switch from Prilosec(for GIRD) to Tagamet which is also an H2 blocker. Colloidal oatmeal baths, and topical antibiotic plus topical cortisone.
Old 07-13-18, 12:21 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

Huh, so are you just allergic to adrenaline itself?
Old 07-13-18, 12:38 PM
ADDvanced Member

I guess; it just triggers excess histamine in my body which causes me to itch.
Old 07-13-18, 03:33 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

What happens when you're in situations which naturally raise adrenaline levels? For instance, if you exercise intensely, does that trigger the excess histamine?
Old 07-13-18, 07:14 PM

Do you respond the same way to all stimulants? Eg coffee, the red bull drinks etc
Old 07-13-18, 07:47 PM
ADDvanced Member

I don't drink coffee or caffeine of any kind. I haven't taken any other kind of stimulants in a long time. I haven't been taking Adderall lately because o9f the last episode and didn't take it again since Wednesday. My skin is just beginning to calm down and that's with the medicine the doctor prescribed. It's not really a rash which is so confusing, it's an itch and burning feeling in my arms. The skin on my arms is darkened because of damage due to scratching over the years.