ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Sensory
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Choose all that apply: any of the stimuli listed below too much for you?
Sensitivity to clothing (elastic, tags, etc.) 283 57.64%
Sensitivity to food textures 193 39.31%
Sensitive skin (slimy, to describe smooth surfaces, etc.) 182 37.07%
Sensitive to heat/cold 270 54.99%
Sensitive hearing/to certain noises 396 80.65%
Sensitivity to being touched 314 63.95%
Claustrophobia 156 31.77%
Sensitive to certain smells 262 53.36%
Other (please post your Other stimulus below) 76 15.48%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 491. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-23-07, 12:05 AM
Contributor

justAwierd-o will become famous soon enough
Re: ADHD and Hypersensitivity (for the 2nd time)

I can get downright irritable and angry if my clothing doesn't fit right, even to the extent that I'll throw it across the room or something in frustration...

And I can't sleep if there is ANY distracting noise nearbye (like music, chatting, televisions, etc. Sometimes even the simple breathing of another person in the room). I have a fan going full-blast when I'm living in the dorms to block out noises.... and earplugs nearbye if necessary (though they kind of bother me, too).

Old 12-23-07, 01:08 PM
ADDvanced Member

NonSequitor will become famous soon enough

High-pitched noises and anything with too much treble get me. As long as I can remember, I've been able to tell when a TV is on across the house/room etc even when it is muted. I so hope other people have experienced this.
Old 12-23-07, 01:10 PM
ADDvanced Member

NonSequitor will become famous soon enough

And while I'm going on about annoyances-it drives me mad when my pets are licking/scratching/slurping themselves if there is nothing loud enough to dorwn it out. I am terrible, I know.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-07, 01:19 PM
ADDvanced Member

Stabby is on a distinguished road

I have an eating disorder, I can't eat fruit and vegetables except beans, peas, salads and potatoes. I love all kinds of soup and sauces though, as long as they're mixed and contain no pieces. It's not the taste I dislike, it's the way they "feel" inside my mouth, which people have never understood. I can eat minstrone though as long as I don't have to chew on the vegetables. I swallow them immediately.

Could this actually be explained by ADD? That would be quite interesting.
Old 12-30-07, 02:35 PM
ADDvanced Member

Stabby is on a distinguished road

I'm also quite sensitive to heat. Like when I shower the water's too hot at a certain temperature everyone else has no problem with. Same thing with food that's too hot (especially soup). By the time other people are finished eating I'm still waiting for it to cool down.

If someone could answer the questions in both my posts, thanks
Old 12-31-07, 12:53 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

dormammau2008 has disabled reputation

sentivet toi light soundsss in the lower spictumm an heat as well touch can be deps were it is if i rubber my toe i get a inching in my left ear to name a few thingsss eltice power i can pick up as well feel free to ask

dorm
Old 07-16-08, 10:22 AM
Moderator of mind and heart

Thanked 21,266 Times in 8,598 Posts
sarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond repute

Sensitive to sounds and noise primarily. Particularly some radio and TV commercials irritate me enormously. Why do they have to be so loud?

I find it very hard to concentrate on something when other people in the room are talking. I alway think like I am eavesdropping or something, but I just can't help it. I was never able to study in a public place because of all the distractions.

It was actually through following links from a site on hypersensitivity that I became aware of the real problem, which was ADD.
Old 07-26-08, 04:42 AM
Jr Member

funtaff is on a distinguished road

I know this thread has been pretty much been beaten to a pulp, but hey - why not.

I'm right there with everyone on clothing (tags, fit, etc), heat (soup, showers), noises (chewing, conversations, high frequencies), and touch (I'm pretty ticklish) - but the thing that really drove me to this section of the site is that for me it's not entirely constant - mostly the sound sensitivity part.

I'm pretty moody - and one of the dimensions of that is irritability. It only recently occurred to me that I was "hypersensitive" to things, because I read the recent publication on Hyperkalemic Sensory Overstimulation, which addresses that from a potassium standpoint.

Does anyone find that meals and/or medication affect the sensitivity periodically throughout the day? I really notice it when I come home after work - kitchen sounds can start to really get to me from across the room. My workplace is no slouch though, so I feel it gets particularly worse later in the day, when whatever stimulant I happen to be trying that month has worn off .
Old 10-11-08, 03:30 AM
Jr Member

l3londluvsanADD is on a distinguished road

Yeah I am late on the thread too, but when you have so many sensitivities you HAVE to write about it right? Okay so I am sensitive to:

Light- I have had to pull over to the side of the road until my eyes adjust, or I have to drive with my hand over my eyes while I peer through the crack in my fingers, makes me wish I had those glasses from Star Trek! NO LIGHT FOR SLEEP! which is funny because when I was a kid I HAD to have light and noise.

Dark-I cant stand it when its too dark! I only like it pitch black to sleep other than that I have to have light on, I dont like turning the lights off to watch a movie at home either.

Sound- High pitched or low pitched sounds that are repetitive-ie techno music. An Ocarina, whistle, etc. BUT the funny thing is that they only bother me if someone else is doing it, if I blow a whistle over and over it doesnt bother me! WEIRD It also is mood dependent I guess, when I'm sleepy I cant stand loud sounds, I think my sensitivity hightens when I am tired. Chalk or chalkboards being wiped off, sharpies on paper, dry erase markers, overhead projector markers, absolutely NO sound for sleep!

Touch- Tags, turle necks or anything tight around my neck, tight clothes (I too take them off as soon as I get home), wet clothes, sleeping with socks, socks and shoes in general, hats, gloves, masks, I cant even wear acrylic fingernails because I cant feel the tip of my finger anymore, wind on my neck also, sweat I HATE to sweat or be hot, biting apple skins or grapes(although I still eat them), sometimes I HAVE to put my hair up or I will go crazy, I like to feel my hair tight against my scalp, watches cant wear them or big bracelets, glasses on the bridge of my nose, earrings/rings have to take them off after a while, weird textures,

cant sit in a chair with both feet on the floor have to cross them or put one ankle on the other knee etc, itchy I am itchy ALOT, makeup I have learned to put up with, long sleeves have to pull them up on my arms for relief or pull them down to hold them in my hands, have to have a fan for sleep or feel like I am suffocating also cannot have stale air, So I guess touch is my worst sensitvity.

GOOD SENSITIVITIES- my hair love to have it touched or played with, hugs, small spaces (I think this has to do with feeling secure like in the womb), feelings on my fingers, cant think about to many of these as they arent as annoying so I dont hyperfocus on them! HAHA the joys of ADD!

So I know this was long and I dont really care if anyone reads it, just felt good to get it out so THANKS!

Oh I also forgot to I memorize EVERYTHING I know jingles after hearing them once or twice, I know commercials, I know EVERY word to the movie TITANIC I mean every word, I know every word to every song I have ever listened to more than twice! Its crazy, I have noticed this in my son too so i am leaning towards him having ADD also. Oh I also have to read EVERYTHING, I can pass the same billboard 500 times and I will read it EVERY time!
kattsqueen (07-20-09)
Old 10-15-08, 04:16 PM
ADDvanced Member

Veggymel will become famous soon enough

My odd quirk / hyperawareness thing is "errors" in movies, commercials etc in the editing and such lol. It can be amusing but when I would rather prob know what the commercial was for all that comes from me seeing it is the MOST OBVIOUS error in film/edit that I cant believe they even completed this project and aired it LOL. The first one that comes to my mind now is the most recent I discovered. Sometimes it happens the first time I see the footage and sometimes it is after seeing a comemercial several times. The SHAMWOW commercial when he pours water or something on the pc of carpet to show how the towel thing picks up every last drop. Right after they show the puddled water on on the table/under the pc of carpet they cut away and then back to same angle again, only on the second shot there is no puddling and no mess on the table. LOL...cant help it - I do it all the time in movies and everthing.

Mom to: Jordan 13 yrs old - ADHD
Tommy 5 yrs old - ADHD, PDD-NOS, Multiple Food Allergies

CLICK HERE TO GET FIT!
Old 10-27-08, 12:52 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

chowmix is a glorious beacon of lightchowmix is a glorious beacon of lightchowmix is a glorious beacon of lightchowmix is a glorious beacon of lightchowmix is a glorious beacon of light

I'm touch, odor and sound sensitive and it's getting worse as I get older. Any hints?

Clothing labels, seams on socks and underwear, and rough fabric around my neck are distracting.

My eyes water when I smell clothing others wear washed with any kind of scented detergent or fabric softener. I don't like to be in the clothing department of stores since whatever they put in kid's pajamas as a fire retardant or in clothing to make them look crisp and new makes my eyes water. I can smell personal feminine hygiene products with strong scents as I walk around in public.

I'm not one of those with environmental allergies who must live in a bubble with tinfoil covered windows. It's not that bad.

As a result of this, I end up washing new clothes before wearing them, rinsing them two or three times. I purchase only unscented soaps, detergents, deodorant, toilet paper, etc. Even going down the isle in the supermarket makes my eyes water and I may wheeze. I've been very particular about socks, shirts and underwear. I have discovered manufacturers have a different notion of 'unscented' than I do and that many 'unscented' products still have an odor.

I actually don't like 100% cotton shirts because they NEVER get soft enough, I prefer blends for shirts, socks and underwear. Cotton pants don't bother me. Thinking about wool makes me itch.

Sounds also drive me nuts. Hums, buzzing, high-pitched stuff. Florescent lights, TV tubes and computer monitors. In order to sleep I either need headphones with white noise or binaural beats OR a fan to drown out distractions to the environment.

Perfumes are distracting, though not always unpleasant. Some make me gag, I get headaches and wheezing around 'floral' scents. Some other perfumes make my mind wander 'elsewhere' if they trigger certain memories.

ADD and anxiety meds have helped some of this, but I'm still easily distracted. I take antihistamines before going on shopping expeditions and prefer to buy over the web to avoid the barrage of odors in stores.

Animal smells (human or otherwise) don't bother me. I have pets and work with animals and deal with animal odors my OCD friends can't even bear to hear me describe.

Any hints?

Contact a doctor if you think you need help. Don't waste 30 years as I did.

DX at 51: GAD,OCD,ADHD mixed RX: Concerta. Ritalin / Propranolol as needed.
Old 10-27-08, 12:54 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

chowmix is a glorious beacon of lightchowmix is a glorious beacon of lightchowmix is a glorious beacon of lightchowmix is a glorious beacon of lightchowmix is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonSequitor View Post
High-pitched noises and anything with too much treble get me. As long as I can remember, I've been able to tell when a TV is on across the house/room etc even when it is muted. I so hope other people have experienced this.
A pet peeve. I'm SOO glad flat screens are slowly replacing the tube displays on tvs and computers.

Contact a doctor if you think you need help. Don't waste 30 years as I did.

DX at 51: GAD,OCD,ADHD mixed RX: Concerta. Ritalin / Propranolol as needed.
Old 11-01-08, 03:22 AM
ADDvanced Member

Marty will become famous soon enough

I also have Asperger's Syndrome and that makes me hypersensitive mainly to Light/Movement in my field of vision/sound but all the others senses are way more sensitive then normal people too. Due to that I overload at least once a week.
Old 11-19-08, 09:49 AM
Forum ADDvocate

sarey is a glorious beacon of lightsarey is a glorious beacon of lightsarey is a glorious beacon of lightsarey is a glorious beacon of lightsarey is a glorious beacon of light

I'm mostly sensitive to certain clothes (tags and the way they feel, too tight, not ''right'', etc), some food textures, I don't like being touched, being hugged and stuff is okay, but I don't like anything else... uh... heat and cold, especially the cold, I'm always cold, hands/feet, may be due to circulation problems but I'm sensitive to the heat/cold... It really also depends on my mood... but yeah.

I am who I am, and sweetie, your approval isn't needed, no matter how much you think it is!
Old 11-19-08, 09:50 AM
Forum ADDvocate

sarey is a glorious beacon of lightsarey is a glorious beacon of lightsarey is a glorious beacon of lightsarey is a glorious beacon of lightsarey is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3londluvsanADD View Post
BUT the funny thing is that they only bother me if someone else is doing it, if I blow a whistle over and over it doesnt bother me!
Ha ha same here.

I am who I am, and sweetie, your approval isn't needed, no matter how much you think it is!