ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Sensory
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Choose all that apply: any of the stimuli listed below too much for you?
Sensitivity to clothing (elastic, tags, etc.) 283 57.64%
Sensitivity to food textures 193 39.31%
Sensitive skin (slimy, to describe smooth surfaces, etc.) 182 37.07%
Sensitive to heat/cold 270 54.99%
Sensitive hearing/to certain noises 396 80.65%
Sensitivity to being touched 314 63.95%
Claustrophobia 156 31.77%
Sensitive to certain smells 262 53.36%
Other (please post your Other stimulus below) 76 15.48%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 491. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-12-09, 05:45 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,013 Times in 508 Posts
chartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant futurechartreuse has a brilliant future
Re: ADHD and Hypersensitivity (for the 2nd time)

My big ones are noises and smells. I didn't check the one for clothing, because it doesn't bother me much anymore, but my mom tells me that when I was little I would always complain that "I can feel my clothes."
Old 05-21-09, 06:42 PM

Sonja is on a distinguished road

Dry surfaces are a big one for me. The best example is wooden disposable chopsticks. I hate them so much. I do weird things like dip them in the green tea to make their surface less dry and unpleasant to my skin.

I've discovered that I seem to be the only one I know who likes to leave wetness around. After washing my face with a warm wet facecloth, I leave it wet to air dry. I leave my hair to air dry. If I spill water somewhere, I usually leave it to dry naturally. I don't understand why everyone is so hung up on drying things.

Apparently a lot of these hypersensitivity issues are also in common with people with Asperger's?

Certain fabrics like polyester are very unpleasant to me.

One of the most annoying sensations to me is when a hair (mine or my partner's) is barely touching my face. It's a tickling sort of irritation that drive me crazy.
Old 07-18-09, 02:35 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

crazycat1990 is just really nicecrazycat1990 is just really nicecrazycat1990 is just really nicecrazycat1990 is just really nice

Been meaning to check out this thread for a while!

I've always had sensory issues (and I have some traits of Asperger's too).

I'll start with the negative side of things.

Negatives

Noise - this is the main one, definitely. Where do I start!
Unexpected loud noise - GRR! When I was little I used to tell people to shut up when they laughed, cos it made me jump and agitated me SOOO much! It still does the same to me now! If my mum is in the kitchen doing something and suddenly she bangs the saucepans or something, GRR it annoys me so much! It can sometimes make me snap out of a good mood in a second. If someone suddenly coughs it annoys me too. Oooh and when big vehicles drive past you when you are walking/or noisy vehicles! I guess just any sudden loud noises! I'm so jumpy!

Loud people - even though I can be loud sometimes. If someone is being loud on the phone or in a conversation it sometimes really annoys me. Why do they have to be so loud?? Same applies for people on TV! Or when people get really excited and stupid (usually females)...and they start screaming...calm downnn!!!

Continuous noise - like hairdryer, vaccuum cleaner. This doesn't so much annoy me, as much as it just makes me feel odd and uncomfortable. Can't deal with it for too long! Also if someone is hammering/drilling really loud...that annoys me/makes me uncomfortable.

Loud music when I'm not in the mood - often my boyfriend turns the radio up loud in his car and I just turn it back down and he's like "Ohh don't be boring! Why don't you like loud music?" Which annoys me even more because I am certainly NOT boring. I LOVE loud music when it's neccessary and I am up for it. In a car when I'm not in the best of moods is not one of those moments!

Touch/texture

Food/drink - drinks with bits in (like some fruit juices), can only drink them if I am REALLY thirsty. I am very fussy with meat because of fat and skin. It's embarrassing because I sit there picking the fat and funny-looking bits off, but I cannot eat them or I gag! Anything too chewy or slimey - no! Also I can't seem to deal with eating drinking something that is hot (temperature wise) like other people can. If me and my friends had a hot chocolate I'd be the last to start drinking, whereas they'd be able to tolerate the heat. And I can't eat big mouthfuls of ice cream, toooo cold! I did think it was normal but actually I've noticed a lot of people put big/normal sized mouthfuls in!
And I'll never forget the time I was eating a toffee yoghurt and there was some little bit in it, not sure what, it wasn't off. Anyway I felt it in my mouth and - ewwww! Feel sick thinking about it. It was only small, smaller than a pea, but it just felt so disgusting and horrible! I didn't swallow it, I spat it straight out! Have always been very conscious of eating yoghurts since!

Clothes - they have to be comfortable. I'm better now than when I was a kid, with tighter clothing and stuff, but compared to NTs I'm a lot different! They only difference now from when I was a kid is that I will happily wear jeans and fitted t-shirts. But I couldn't wear a long-sleeved tight top, or tight trousers. Grr so restricting and uncomfortable and annoying!! Always wear trainers, can't wear other shoes. Except for if it was an occassion or night out where I dressed up, I have some nice shoes that have heels (not too high though) and they are very comfortable luckily! When I wear sandals.flip-flops, whatever you wanna call them...the bit inbetween the toes huuuuuuurts! Ow! I hate it when underwear digs into your hips and hurts, mine are doing it right now Bras can often be annoying. Hate it when a top rides up your stomach, just feels so uncomfortable. Three-quarter length tops are just stupid. I want my whole arm covered or my elbows and forearm free. Also when I put socks on they sometimes don't feel 100% straight, anyone else get what I mean? And you can feel it! Grr!

People touching me - I don't mind hugs etc if I want them. But if someone touches or hugs me when I don't want it I get MEGA ****ed off!! Or when someone touches my head or messes my hair up. Or if someone knocks into me. GRRR! People always seem to knock into me!

Hot/cold intolerance - over the past few years I seem to feel the cold more. But not when it's not cold. Only when it's cold but it's how I tolerate it that's the issue. Say it was a freezing cold winters day, sure everyone else is cold but they don't stand there shivering as badly as me, teeth chattering, mouth so cold I can't talk properly. Sometimes at the end of the day I ache from my body shivering so much! When it comes to heat, I sweat a lot easier than most people. In fact I have hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating). Bit embarrassing and extremely annoying. The main thing is my underarms sweat for no reason, can be sitting around and it'll happen. I have special anti-perspirant for it though. The other thing is exercise makes me sweat easier than other people. Every time I walked to school (bout 20 minute walk) I would be sweating so much! Shirt would be soaked through!

Don't have any issues with smell or taste (it's more the textures of food that makes me a fussy eater).

Only issues with sight is that I can be oversensitive to light sometimes.

Positive

Now onto the good points!

Hmm forgotten some of them

One is slightly strange but hey! I'm REALLY ticklish! If my boyfriend kisses me on the neck it tickles so much! But it's alright cos I love being tickled! Hmm...

LOVE having my back scratched!!!

Love the feeling of some things/the noise they make.

Love lots of smells but I guess that's normal anyway.

And when I listen to music...I don't know if this is hypersensitivity or what...but say it's a song I love, well obviously I'll be hyperfocsued on it...and I just get so into it and love it so much! I know obviously everyone has songs they love and so they enjoy listening to them. But this is different I swear. It's like euphoria. I think. I don't know. But I'll just feel so happy and think of things/people I love and just feel so high

And the main thing...I LOVE RIDES AND ROLLERCOASTERS!!! The speed, g-force, weightlessness, fear, adrenaline rush, excitement, the feeling when your stomach goes over... I thrive on it!!

"You laugh bec[color=Blue][size=1]ause I'm different. I laugh because you're all the same."

"Be crazy because there's no time to be cool."

"Don't follow in my footsteps, I run into walls."

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-09, 04:25 PM

Thanked 33,489 Times in 15,133 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

i'm photosensitive. i hate bright lights and i cannot sleep unless the room is completely dark.
Old 07-18-09, 04:48 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,266 Times in 1,840 Posts
doiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond repute

Engines of cars ect,Drive me mental.
Gunshots on the t.v,Fires me up.
Hate my picture being taken,Make me flash.
Strangers in the streeting making any form of physical contact.Arrhhh.
Pretty much everything in the world drives me,barmy.

Sometimes,mostly

Afterthought;
With certain fumes from drinks,moods...light,(and make-up),my eyes tingle and change colour......what is this????
Old 07-18-09, 07:20 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

crazycat1990 is just really nicecrazycat1990 is just really nicecrazycat1990 is just really nicecrazycat1990 is just really nice

My skin is kinda sensitive as well and it often itches (for no reason!)...grr!

And I used to hate people brushing my hair for me when I was younger. Still HATE going to the hair dressers even now! They always hurt me, anyone else get this? Some of them are REALLY rough even when washing your hair!! My eyes water in pain!!

But the result is always nice

"You laugh bec[color=Blue][size=1]ause I'm different. I laugh because you're all the same."

Old 07-20-09, 04:48 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Oh and another one which is one other peple have mentioned too.

The sound of people chewing/eating. GRR! Does my head in sooooo much!

Old 07-20-09, 05:13 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

kattsqueen is just really nicekattsqueen is just really nicekattsqueen is just really nicekattsqueen is just really nice

check this post by me about sensory overload add

kattsqueen http://www.addforums.com/forums/show...nsory+overload
Old 07-20-09, 05:42 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Ew ew ewwwwwww does anyone else get freaked out by holes?

Like loads of them together? I always get freaked out at the idea of my skin having loads of holes in it with things underneath/in the holes.

There is a fear called Trypophobia. It's not so much a fear though, I just felt really sick and grossed out and my skin crawls. Bleeurgh *shudders*

Also - I HATE the feeling of cobwebs when you touch them! They're so grosss!

Old 07-20-09, 08:13 PM
Forum Guru

Prusilusken is a splendid one to beholdPrusilusken is a splendid one to beholdPrusilusken is a splendid one to beholdPrusilusken is a splendid one to beholdPrusilusken is a splendid one to beholdPrusilusken is a splendid one to beholdPrusilusken is a splendid one to beholdPrusilusken is a splendid one to behold

Can't stand anything greasy on me, like creams and oils, especially on the fingers and under my nails, never could.
Some noises I am very sensitive to, they will make me nauseous.
People touching me in certain ways or being close to me can be a chore, but not as a rule. People bumping into me or some furniture I am in physical contact with in some way (chair I'm sitting on, table I'm resting an arm on...like that) my body feels like a small, closed room, that someone's just threw a small rubberball into with all the force they could muster, when something like that happens. The more out of balance I feel before it happens, the worse the reaction, of course (?)
I am very sensitive to motion, I get motion sickness.
Plastic - especially buttons, the kind you sew on clothes (if you want to torture me!!) - the smaller the worse! Plastic plates and cups...especially soft plastic...I can't explain, but just writing and thinging about this makes me want to rinse under my nails. Actually, I'm doing it.

...and on and on it goes.

That being said, my hypersensitivity is far from always a bad thing.
Colours, textures, visual shapes (a leaf fluttering in the wind) the feel of some sorts of fur, the right sound or music can make me equally ecstatic sometimes.
That's probably some of the reason why I usually respond well to "weird" stuff like art therapy, dancing, some sorts of healing, musical therapy, I think.
I'm sure that at least for me, my hypersensitivity can be used in a constructive way if I just figure out the right way to go about it.
Old 07-23-09, 06:58 PM

carissa_lee will become famous soon enough

Dang, I never really thought about this but yeah I do. I can't stand things around my neck or wrist, so I don't wear things like watches, bracelets, necklaces, turtlenecks, or anything tight around my neck. My neck is much worse than my wrists, anything tight around it like that I fidget and screw with it until I just give up and remove it. I have been given so many pretty necklaces I just can't wear and I feel so bad for it.

Same thing with textures, especially in foods. I can't eat certain textures of foods even if they smell or look good. I'll automatically gag, even at the thought of it. I can't eat things like apple pie and cottage cheese because of it. Recently I ate a piece of pizza that I didn't know had an artichoke on it and it was horrible, the texture of the cooked artichoke may be the worst thing I've ever eaten. It didn't even taste bad but the texture was disgusting, even thinking about it makes me gag.

I am claustrophobic too but only when it comes to people. Like in a crowded room or elevator it bothers me. I could be in a 5x5 box by myself and be fine, but stuff 2 other people in there and I would get lightheaded and my mood would do an instant 180.

And to crazycat1990 - I hate cobwebs too. I wont even go near them. I make other people get rid of them, or I'll use the long hose on a vacuum to get rid of them. Touching them makes my skin crawl.

Sounds don't seem to bother me, though. Except what I would consider probably usual things, like the whole fingernail on a chalkboard type sounds. The firecrackers "Whistling Pete's" or whatever, those are horrible. But I'm pretty sure most people hate those types of sound, or at least from what I've gathered anyway.

Have you ever accidentally gotten your fingernail caught on a chalkboard though? I remember when I was in elementary school and having to go to the board to write something on it and accidentally scratching a fingernail on it - I swear that feeling would resonate in that finger for hours on end. I would sit there and try and "shake" the feeling out of my hand, even though it never worked.

This is interesting, I've never thought about this before, I just assumed I was a little quirky lol.
Old 07-24-09, 11:00 AM

Culdo is on a distinguished road

I'm sensitive to loud noises, crowds and general busy-ness around me, which makes me wonder when people say we're supposed to adapt better to an "ADD World"... Now, if everything was peaceful, I'd be the one to fill the silence with chaos, but I can't take too much going on around me (distractions, obviously). So that "ADD World Adaptation" theory might need a rethinking. How would we all feel when the earth's population doubles? We already know it's too hard to get anyone to listen to us (more on that in my "first-time visitors to support groups snag free therapy" essay).

I am sensitive to light, mostly fluorescent lighting and neon lighting because they're very "busy" lights. We have them all over the workplace here, and I used to get such a headache that I had to twist two of the three tubes over my seat so they'd go out. Someone just came down today and when I joked that I was crazy (over an e-card issue) they said, "Yeah, because you don't have any light." I said, "No, it's the other way around."

I am also very sensitive (and it's probably related) to electricity. I can feel the current from things like speakers, tvs, and monitors. As a kid, hanging out in an upstairs bedroom, I'd always know if someone downstairs turned on the TV. Not for the noise, but the feel.

I was at a friend's house and they turned the TV off, but I kept looking over and saying, "Is that still on?" They'd laugh and say it wasn't and that I was just being crazy (there were no lights on it or anything), but I kept feeling it and went up to it and just hit the power button for the hell of it, and ZOOFFffff....

...and they all bowed down in wonder to my superhuman powers.
Old 07-27-09, 09:43 PM

Culdo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycat1990 View Post
Ew ew ewwwwwww does anyone else get freaked out by holes?
Not before I read this! .....maaaaan.....
The Following User Says Thank You to Culdo For This Useful Post:
kattsqueen (07-28-09)
Old 08-16-09, 05:22 PM

Seeker_Radon is on a distinguished road

Me i am sensitive to many things mostly sounds and smells. i mean i can sense another person from far by their smell and i know who they are even if they don't put any perfume or deodorant on.

As for sound i can hear if they are sick before they noticed that is just weird and distracting i mean every sound smell and vibration i pick up bothers me. i have a hard time paying attention at work and at meetings because of this.
Old 08-16-09, 05:34 PM
ADDvanced Member

arrested_truth has a spectacular aura aboutarrested_truth has a spectacular aura about

THE STITCHED LINING IN SOCKS is what gets me everytime. I hate the feel of it.
Tags in shirts, of course.