ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Sensory
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Choose all that apply: any of the stimuli listed below too much for you?
Sensitivity to clothing (elastic, tags, etc.) 283 57.64%
Sensitivity to food textures 193 39.31%
Sensitive skin (slimy, to describe smooth surfaces, etc.) 182 37.07%
Sensitive to heat/cold 270 54.99%
Sensitive hearing/to certain noises 396 80.65%
Sensitivity to being touched 314 63.95%
Claustrophobia 156 31.77%
Sensitive to certain smells 262 53.36%
Other (please post your Other stimulus below) 76 15.48%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 491. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-16-09, 06:12 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,266 Times in 1,840 Posts
doiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond reputedoiadhd has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ADHD and Hypersensitivity (for the 2nd time)

I had seven from the poll.
When I think about it normally.I see them as individual problems,but just then remembering them in a gathering of problems/annoyances,it is eye opening,for want of better wording.
Old 08-16-09, 06:28 PM
Jr Member

Dashieldog is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: ADHD and Hypersensitivity (for the 2nd time)

OK. Heres mine. LOL. I am a vegetarian because meat grosses me out severely. I don't like to touch it to break the package up say if you by it in bulk. Don't get me wrong I don't eat it also for the fact that its an animal etc but one of the major motivating factors was texture and just too gross!! I also hate sneezing or when someone else sneezes it just irritates me for some unknown reason. oh well just thought I would share.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dashieldog For This Useful Post:
manismom (09-25-10)
Old 08-16-09, 06:44 PM
Jr Member

Dashieldog is on a distinguished road

Oh I almost forgot. Feathers. I hate feathers lol. I have chickens but if they are on the bird its ok. Its just if they are loose or on a duster of something like that they just give me the chills and flip me out if I touch them or go near them.I swear I can feel them later if I accidently touched them earlier on. How strange is that?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-09, 05:56 PM
ADDvanced Member

sortawicked has a spectacular aura aboutsortawicked has a spectacular aura about

Other:
My eyes are really sensative.I cant stand sunlight thats shining too bright, (even if its overhead and not setting or rising)

or any kind of air blowing in them the air vents in the car drive me nuts and sometimes even the ceiling fan.

and If its too dim in a rom.

it makes my eyes water and hurt and the worst is when its really cold and windy out.I hate that.
The Following User Says Thank You to sortawicked For This Useful Post:
k31kozumi (03-28-10)
Old 09-21-09, 06:08 PM
Forum Guru

Logic is a name known to allLogic is a name known to allLogic is a name known to allLogic is a name known to allLogic is a name known to allLogic is a name known to allLogic is a name known to all

Clothing, I have to tear/pull/cut the tags out of the majority of my stuff or it drives me nuts scratching on my skin all day. I'm always careful when I choose socks too, anything that has a large seam on it is a no-no.

Certain foods, but generally only when I get a texture or flavour that I wasn't expecting, such as finding a piece of celery or onion in my rice (at a restaurant or from a take-away) thus giving me an unexpected 'crunch' in something that should be crunch free...

Hearing is definitely sensitive, most 'background' noise can irritate me, I can remember being able to hear somebody using an oscilloscope in a science class in another corridor at school and the teacher telling me to 'stop being silly' and to take my fingers out of my ears, until she went to investigate as I wouldn't settle down - to discover that they were indeed using an oscilloscope through there. She was amazed that I could hear it so far away from where it was being used.

Tactile sensitivity has always been an issue, it has also affected my parents as I used to scream when they picked me up as a baby.
I hate being touched lightly, but I can stand a heavier contact for some reason (can't stand being tickled or having my skin stroked, but don't mind contact sports or heavy/deep pressure contact/holding).

Certain light bothers me; flourescent, the blue kind that they have in public restrooms sometimes, and anything that strobes.

Logic
Old 09-28-09, 09:38 PM

equilibrium will become famous soon enough

I thought I didn't have too many until my partner and I started talking about them. I do have a lot but hardly any food texture issues.

There is a difference for me between a pet peeve and a hypersensitivity. I can tell my the reaction/reflex etc that I have.

Some of them are:
Vacuume and loud noises although if I am using the vacume it is better. Other people using them, drives me chilly.
Smell of toothpaste on people's breath (my partner) at night. I cannot give kisses after freshly brushed mouths-too sweet and minty. Yes, strange I know.
I find that at night I am more hypersensitive to noises (I can hear the smallest things), smells, touch (hate cuddling for the most part at night), tastes (hate strong toothpaste or other strong sweet taste).....
Nausea from the smell of lamb, taste of cilantro.
Cuddles, light touching---very hard. Have to pretend I enjoy it.

Stronger hugs okay sometimes, back rubs (not light touch).
Hate my watch on at night...like will try to sleep for two hours but can't strictly because of my watch feeling like its weighing me down...
sock lines, yuck.
hearing teeth cling when people eat
I know there are more....
Old 11-22-09, 12:06 PM
Contributor

PickMeUpRoadie is a splendid one to beholdPickMeUpRoadie is a splendid one to beholdPickMeUpRoadie is a splendid one to beholdPickMeUpRoadie is a splendid one to beholdPickMeUpRoadie is a splendid one to beholdPickMeUpRoadie is a splendid one to beholdPickMeUpRoadie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlakeyGirl View Post
About the hearing, I can pick up really high pitches, I don't know where the sounds come from. I used to pretend I was the Bionic Woman.
I have the same thing, but with bass tones. I realized that I could physically hear down to about 12 Hz (in music terms that is a minor sixth below what the average human can hear which is alot in that range), and I often hear these very low vibrations in the air and get quite p*ssed because I usually can't do anything to get rid of them.

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data.”

“I never remember feeling tired by work, though idleness exhausts me completely”

"If we are going to be damned, let us be damned for what we really are." - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

"The saxophones...are not expected...to behave like demented cats... "
Ralph Vaughan Williams, notes to his Symphony No.9 in E minor

Old 06-05-10, 04:23 PM

sans_serif is on a distinguished road
Post Re: ADHD and Hypersensitivity (for the 2nd time)

Sensitive to seeing things, smells. I notice every little detail on every little letter of almost every font. It's great because it's like I have a superpower (fontvision). I notice a lot of things visually, and they often bother me. Maybe that's why typography is good for me; I can see it all but in a small context.
Old 06-06-10, 06:42 PM

equilibrium will become famous soon enough

cardboard. Can't be around it when someone is breaking it down, or for myself..trying ot squish it. Yuck. Makes me have goosebumps.Hate the sound, the feeling of the sound. ICK.

My arms on paper...like if I need to write on a piece of paper or something. Ugh, yuck. SHivers, goosebumps. Hate the feeling. Especially wrists area....

Barefeet after walking in sand. I can't do anything until they are cleaned and not that dirty dry feeling. Ew.

I can always hear things before others and they think I am hearing things....until they eventually hear it too.
Old 06-08-10, 02:34 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Werl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to behold

Any sudden noises make me jump. Someone walks silently into the room and just says "hi" I'll jump out of my socks.

A teenage male from central Alberta, diagnosed with ADHD, borderline Aspergers, and a non verbal learning disorder.
Old 06-15-10, 01:11 AM

elmadresuperrior is on a distinguished road

hahahaaaaa ahhhh! i cannot STAND the sound of people eating. it makes me want to hit them. i cant write with pencil because the way graphite feels rubbing on the paper. the way velvet feels makes me nauseous. that little high pitched wine that electronics make when they're on... AHHh. i thought i was going crazy. it was actually searching for help with the hypersensitivity that i came across this forum and began talking to my doctor about the possibility of my childhood ADHD still being present as an adult
The Following User Says Thank You to elmadresuperrior For This Useful Post:
manismom (09-25-10)
Old 06-15-10, 01:16 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Werl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to beholdWerl is a splendid one to behold

I just found that I have a new one, people dragging their feet when warring flipflops.

A teenage male from central Alberta, diagnosed with ADHD, borderline Aspergers, and a non verbal learning disorder.
Old 07-30-10, 04:30 AM

Kay. will become famous soon enough

This forum made me feel so much more 'normal'!

I'm still pretty hypersensitive but as a kid it was unbearable! I was not diagnosed with ADD until age 21, but my family and myself always thought there was 'something wrong with me'...

I must have had 1000 pairs of underwear per year (no exaggeration) and still I often had trouble leaving the house because they were 'crawling up my bum!' Socks bothered me especially with seams. It was difficult to get me to wear anything out of the 3? accepted outfits because everything was just too itchy.

As a kid I walked on my tip toes to avoid the sensation of carpet and flooring. Even now I often have a hard time getting comfortable because something just doesn't feel right (but less so now that I'm getting treatment..)

What do you guys think about the genetics of sensitivity (and ADD)?
It seems to run down my mothers side and I have 2 cousins that are tactile sensitive on that side, both of whom walk on their tip toes because of it. One in particular has fits and meltdowns like I did as a kid, over sound, touch, clothing, smell, etc. etc. They're trying to diagnose her but can't quite figure out what is going on...but I look at her and I just remember that feeling.. Thoughts?
Old 09-25-10, 10:57 AM
Contributor

manismom is a glorious beacon of lightmanismom is a glorious beacon of lightmanismom is a glorious beacon of lightmanismom is a glorious beacon of lightmanismom is a glorious beacon of light

[quote=andreaa000;22396]I have a cotton ball phobia. They squeak. I refuse to touch them. Just thinking of them makes my face pucker up. I also have to smell everything.

Did you know that the sticky side of scotch tape (only certain brands) smells like pineapple? My friends get a kick out of me because anytime there is a scent in the air, I can usually identify it or at least identify what it smells like.

Is anyone else really good at guessing voices? Like when you hear a commercial with just a voice or watch an animated film. I can always guess the celebrities voice.

OK Are you inside our house???

My Husband has a serious cotton ball phobia because he can't stand the texture/squeakiness. I really thought that he was the only person. He claims to have met other people who fear cotton balls, but I didn't really believe him His co-workers found out about this at an old job and filled his cube and desk with cotton balls. He was really mad!! He can take a joke, but it was too much!

I have also noticed that tape smells like pineapple. Although I don't purposely smell things (unless I am trying to choose shampoo, deoderant, etc.), the smells just find me. I cannot handle being stuck in a close space with someone who is wearing a perfume with chemicals. I'm OK with all-natural frangrances, but the chemical ones I can't handle (like Chanel #5). I will literally vomit if I am around a cigar for too long. If a skunk walks by our house in the middle of the night, it wakes me up and I can't go back to sleep until the smell is gone.

Then back to Husband who can ID a voice in no time flat. He could win a contest with this, he's so good. And he remembers the name, too. So freaky!

I never really thought of myself as being particularly sensitive, just particular and appreciative of the finer things in life (HAHAHAHA). Filet Mignon doesn't have those little unidentifiable bits in it like hamburger. Cashmere isn't itchy like acrylic. Boutique stores aren't crowded like Mall Stores.

I have got a freaky good palate and sniffer for someone who smoked for 15+ years. A lady once handed around pieces of chocolate with a "mystery ingredient". Not my favorite phrase, but I will try almost anything once, so I threw the whole piece in my mouth and chomped. In a room of about 30 people, I was the only one who identified the mystery ingredient as bacon. Yes, chocolate and bacon. I coudn't get the bacon taste out of my mouth for like 6 hours.

As I have gotten older, I've found I can handle these irritations better. I think I just tune them out. Or maybe as you get older, you start to be able to rationalize that the discomfort won't be forever.

Only thing that has gotten worse is sound sensitivity. When my kids start up that whining/crying thing (especially the shrill crying of "I didn't get my way"), it makes my head want to explode. I usually end up snapping, which isn't such a great discipline strategy. But when my younger daughter was a baby, she had colic and the sound of her crying would literally make me want to start screaming myself. The sound of colicky baby (along with several other major stressors) landed me in the hospital for a weekend. I coudn't understand how I could ever be a good mom if the sound of my child crying and in distress made me want to run away instead of comforting her. Still a little unsure about that. I do "feel her pain", but feel unable to respond in the loving way I would like.

Last edited by manismom; 09-25-10 at 11:18 AM.. Reason: Forgot to add my comments
Old 10-01-10, 02:29 AM
Contributor

manismom is a glorious beacon of lightmanismom is a glorious beacon of lightmanismom is a glorious beacon of lightmanismom is a glorious beacon of lightmanismom is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teach35 View Post
I, too, say "Down with Celery!" (taste and stringy texture.) Also, the smell of cauliflower cooking has always made me gag.

And "silent" meals, too - eek- Please turn on the radio! And the worst is chewing and mouth breathing at the same time! (Whew.)

Almost all perfumes give me an instant headache! I have to hold my breath and run away if I accidently find myself in the perfume section of a store. I too, must gingerly smell every product I buy. And "fragrance free" is a lie.

Food textures - yeah. Anything with lots of textures mixed can be a problem. (Salsa, potato/egg/chicken.....salad, soup with greens...) And anything that's not the texture I expected from the look/smell of the food.

I mute almost all commercials on tv because they're too loud, and all amplification is pretty much painful. I've embarrased some of my friends by wearing ear plugs at movies or concerts or clubs.

Also electrical noise. There's some sort of adapter on the electrical cord to my keyboard (piano) that buzzes even when the keyboard is off. Drives me nuts, others don't seem to notice it. I was sitting in the dentist's waiting room the other day filling out paperwork when I heard the sound of a tooth being drilled. A sharp pain went through my mouth.

I have to sleep with a fan on and have since college, even in the dead of winter.

I'm never comfortable in my clothes! Any new shirt I buy must have a v-neck or be button-up. Waist bands on bottoms and underwear that don't match up are maddening. Sometimes I want to tear off a shirt if it suddenly feels too tight in the wrists or shoulders. But then I'm bothered if they're too big because the material bunches up.

And cold bothers me, especially humid-cold. On a day with high humidity and temps in the 70's, I feel like all my clothes are damp and I'm freezing. Everyone else is walking around in shorts saying it's hot, and I'm putting on socks and an extra shirt.

And yes, empathy. If someone is hurt, I instantly grab the part of my body on which they are hurt, as if it will keep me from getting hurt there or something. I can't stand anyone being bullied, I either get angry or tearfully sad, depending on how the person being bullied reacts.
Get out of my head.
The Following User Says Thank You to manismom For This Useful Post:
βĩο₱Ħعℓĩ (10-01-10)