ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Medications for Co-Existing Conditions > Anti-Anxiety/Benzodiazepines/Beta Blockers
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-18, 08:03 AM
ADDvanced Member

Barbrady1 is on a distinguished road
Propranolol

After once again mentioning anxiety in my med review, my GP today prescribed me 40mg of propranolol, which I can take three times a day if necessary.

Does anyone else on here take it? Or have you taken it in the past? If so, I would be grateful if you could share your experiences.

Iím now on:

20mg Citalopram
40mg Propranolol (up to three times a day)
7.5mg IR Ritalin (three times a day)

Iím a tad concerned as tiredness is a common side effect and my anxiety doesnít tend to manifest with physical symptoms. I usually become mentally foggy, unfocused and kind of detached from myself and others. I think itís usually referred to as depersonalisation. Iím not convinced a beta blocker is going to do a whole lot in terms of obsessive thinking, apathy and Ďspacinessí.
Old 07-11-18, 02:07 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all
Re: Propranolol

Beta blockers are typically used for the physical, rather than mental, anxiety. Especially if the physical anxiety feeds into the mental anxiety.

Propranolol, unlike some of the other beta blockers, is able to enter the brain, so it could have CNS depressant properties. I don't think this issue is very well studied though.

I have experience with atenolol, which does not enter the brain. It helps a bit with physical anxiety. Doesn't give me any mental side effects.
Old 07-11-18, 03:21 PM
ADDvanced Member

Barbrady1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
Beta blockers are typically used for the physical, rather than mental, anxiety. Especially if the physical anxiety feeds into the mental anxiety.

Propranolol, unlike some of the other beta blockers, is able to enter the brain, so it could have CNS depressant properties. I don't think this issue is very well studied though.

I have experience with atenolol, which does not enter the brain. It helps a bit with physical anxiety. Doesn't give me any mental side effects.
Thanks.

Do you know of any medications that are effective for mental anxiety? Iím struggling a lot with depersonalisation at the moment.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-18, 03:43 PM
ADDvanced Member

cobain67 has a spectacular aura aboutcobain67 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbrady1 View Post
Thanks.

Do you know of any medications that are effective for mental anxiety? Iím struggling a lot with depersonalisation at the moment.
Naturopathic:
L-Theanine
Gotu Kola
Ashwaghanda
Magnesium Citrate
Lemon Balm or lemongrass
Chamomile
Old 07-11-18, 07:10 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbrady1 View Post
Thanks.

I don't know much about depersonalisation. As I understand it, it's often tied to trauma/PTSD?

RE mental anxiety, SSRIs are generally considered first line treatment, but they take a few weeks before they have an effect. Benzos are the best for instant anxiety relief, though there's concerns for tolerance/withdrawal when used long term.
Old 07-11-18, 07:32 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 25,728 Times in 12,006 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not so sure the tiredness is a side effect of the beta blocker. Feeling anxious
is very taxing, so when you finally relax you feel very tired.

I took propranolol once for high blood pressure but had an allergic reaction so
only took it two weeks so don't know if it would have helped with my anxiety.

The first anxiety med I took made me gain weight, so I switched after a month.
I've been taking Sertraline (generic Zoloft) for at least 5 years and omg what a
difference it makes.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me

Last edited by Lunacie; 07-11-18 at 07:50 PM..