ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-18, 10:51 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 26,079 Times in 12,168 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Flooding - is it really caused by ADHD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
I guess flooding can be a thing but how you choose to act on that is my issue. It cant be used as an excuse to be mean or hateful or violence.
I guess being forgetful is a thing but it can't be used as an excuse for lazyness.

As mentioned above, flooding isn't just anger/rage outbursts.

It can also be anger or frustration turned inwards resulting in depression.

And it probably has some effect on impulsivity.

Core symptoms of adhd are caused by the disorder, not by choices.

I had a lot of angry outbursts before getting on meds for anxiety.

I did not choose to be angry or to yell and slam doors.

It was like a flashover that happened in the blink of an eye.

There was no time to make choices, to think about a different response.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 07-01-18, 02:43 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,577 Times in 15,084 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
I guess being forgetful is a thing but it can't be used as an excuse for lazyness.
I realize now that I did not do a good job of explaining myself and maybe came of as insensitive or blaming. I guess I was thinking in the context of that other thread where the OP was mentioning specific rages and borderline abusive behaviors. And I totally get what you mean and should have explained that I did the first time. I'm sorry.

Quote:
Core symptoms of adhd are caused by the disorder, not by choices.

I had a lot of angry outbursts before getting on meds for anxiety.

I did not choose to be angry or to yell and slam doors.

It was like a flashover that happened in the blink of an eye.

There was no time to make choices, to think about a different response.
I get it. Let me tell you in the early days of my marriage as I was living with all my disorders, newly married and with a baby I too got irrationally angry. My husband and I laugh about me throwing goofy objects. This one time I threw my son's bathtime rubber ducky and it hit my husband on the back of the calf just right enough to really sting the hell out of him. I also threw a potato and a green pepper once.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (07-01-18), PoppnNSailinMan (07-02-18)
Old 07-02-18, 11:16 PM

PoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc01 View Post
I might be able to buy that ADHD could possibly cause flooding (though still not sold) but it's really hard to embrace this idea that emotional dysregulation is a core symptom of ADHD.

If it were, why is it that not a single DSM listed symptom of ADHD is caused by emotional dysregulation?

You'd think if it was a core symptom that every single one of us have then you'd see flooding, mood swings, etc - things related to emotional dysregulation as part of the DSM symptoms.

Is this just one "expert" says or is this something that is overall accepted. I also had thought some things Barkley said were garbage as well. I don't think just cause one or some experts think something, makes it true.
So called "hyperfocus" or "perseveration" is also not a listed symptom of ADHD in the DSM, but most books about ADHD say something about it. Even though it's not a listed symptom, it's a major problem for me since I usually "hyperfocus" on things that aren't all that useful or important when I should be paying attention to something else.
Bart Simpson (to the tune of “I'm Popeye the Sailor Man”): “When I can’t stop my fiddlin’, I just takes me Ritalin, I’m poppin’ and sailin’, man!” (“Brother’s Little Helper,” Season 11, episode 2, aired 10/3/99)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-18, 01:34 AM

Thanked 4,005 Times in 2,061 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppnNSailinMan View Post
So called "hyperfocus" or "perseveration" is also not a listed symptom of ADHD in the DSM, but most books about ADHD say something about it. Even though it's not a listed symptom, it's a major problem for me since I usually "hyperfocus" on things that aren't all that useful or important when I should be paying attention to something else.
Perhaps it could fall under easily distracted by external stimuli. External stimuli being the thing that has your attention while you should be working on something else.

I'm not questioning whether some of us have flooding issues. ADHD is a hotbed for comorbids after all. At what point do we call something a comorbid that is common amongst ADHDers versus a direct symptom of ADHD?

I wonder what percentage of us have emotional dysregulation. Also, which parts of the brain are irregular in people with ADHD and those with emotional dysregulation (if it's different parts of the brain, I would definitely call it a comorbid).

I also still wonder if some sort of environmental factor had to play a part in people flooding. Like a family history of yelling during childhood which instilled poor practices as an adult, poor self-esteem, other comorbids like autism? I'm not talking about "flooding" in terms of positive emotions like awe and respect. These aren't harmful normally and would not be listed as a symptom of ADHD even if they existed (I realize the person that mentioned these was saying if it could happen with these emotions, it could happen with anger. But still, I wonder for a person to go in a rage over something trivial like a broken pencil, well I wonder if there was some other type of psychological damage which isn't ADHD).
Old 07-03-18, 05:03 AM
Mod-A-holic

sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I think I said this before but mt concern is the actions someone takes when experiencing such rage.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 07-04-18, 12:45 PM

Thanked 4,005 Times in 2,061 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation

Quote:
I think I said this before but mt concern is the actions someone takes when experiencing such rage.
Well, Tone tone said they could learn techniques like walking out of the room when they feel the flooding start.

I wonder how possible it is to start walking out when flooding takes away rational thought. Maybe it can become instinct to walk out.
Old 07-05-18, 10:29 PM

Thanked 1,575 Times in 870 Posts
finallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I might be able to buy that ADHD could possibly cause flooding (though still not sold) but it's really hard to embrace this idea that emotional dysregulation is a core symptom of ADHD.

If it were, why is it that not a single DSM listed symptom of ADHD is caused by emotional dysregulation?

You'd think if it was a core symptom that every single one of us have then you'd see flooding, mood swings, etc - things related to emotional dysregulation as part of the DSM symptoms.

Is this just one "expert" says or is this something that is overall accepted. I also had thought some things Barkley said were garbage as well. I don't think just cause one or some experts think something, makes it true.

ADHD is in such an odd place in the world in how people think about the cause. I hope it gets figured out one day.

These are actively believed right now:

-ADHD isn't even real - many people, including teachers, doctors and researchers

-ADHD is/my be caused by bad bacteria in the gut- Perlmutter

-ADHD is/my be caused by emotional dysregulation- Brown

-ADHD is/my be caused by genes/heredity, strep infection, pre-natal exposure to cigarette smoke and alcohol- Barkley

-ADHD can be seen on SPECT scans- Amen

Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.

Old 07-07-18, 02:33 PM
Mod-A-holic

Quote:
Well, Tone tone said they could learn techniques like walking out of the room when they feel the flooding start.

I wonder how possible it is to start walking out when flooding takes away rational thought. Maybe it can become instinct to walk out.
I get it that there are some coping skills that may be able to help someone who experiences flooding but how rational will they be to implement them when they are in the midst of it? My understanding is that flooding is almost involuntary and virtually uncontrollable...if that is the case how self aware will the person be in the moment?

I carried a watermelon?
Old 07-07-18, 03:02 PM

Thanked 26,079 Times in 12,168 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I get it that there are some coping skills that may be able to help someone who experiences flooding but how rational will they be to implement them when they are in the midst of it? My understanding is that flooding is almost involuntary and virtually uncontrollable...if that is the case how self aware will the person be in the moment?
My autistic granddaughter has actually come a long ways in this.

She's become more aware of when things annoy her,
when it all starts to feel like it's just too much.

She either retreats to her bed with her tablet for a while
or asks the rest of us to leave her alone for a bit while she watches tv.

She still has trouble with this when she's hurting or feeling sick.
Anything added to feeling bad is just too much.

But she's doing so much better and she's only 16,
so in emotional development that's like being 10.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (07-08-18), sarahsweets (07-07-18)
Old 07-10-18, 06:23 AM

provokestraw is on a distinguished road

I can fly off the handle in an instant and when that moment of anger comes the red mist comes fully down and nothing can pull me back - I just have to walk away from the situation and calm down. I always seen this as just part of my personality, to know it's ADD related would go someway to making me feel better about myself. If I take medication, I know there have been times when something would've set me off but meds kept me calm so...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to provokestraw For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (07-11-18), PoppnNSailinMan (07-12-18)
Old 07-31-18, 03:09 PM
Jr Member

hipsterdoofus is on a distinguished road

My short temper has been an issue my entire life. For me, I think it comes down to emotional dysregulation and poor impulse control. I don't always think before I act or speak but it's more prevalent and shameful when I am flooded by an emotion. When I'm medicated, I have no issue controlling my temper or expressing my anger in a healthy way because my emotions don't hit me like a train and because I have a handle on the impulsivity.
The Following User Says Thank You to hipsterdoofus For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (07-31-18)