ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-18, 02:45 PM

BTSlater is on a distinguished road
Feeling drained and unmotivated

Is anyone else always feeling drained mentally? Like absolutely zero motivation for anything. Even on medication. Adderall has always worked in the past, but nothing is now. Iíve tried adderall, vyanese and concerta. All the same. I stopped taking anything a couple of years ago and took energy pills and drinks in between. Did I screw up my system and tolerance doing this? Iím so tired of feeling tired and uninterested in anything.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BTSlater For This Useful Post:
kwalk (08-05-18), namazu (06-25-18), psychopathetic (06-27-18), Tetrahedra (09-07-18)
Old 06-25-18, 03:06 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,477 Times in 3,092 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Feeling drained and unmotivated

Stimulants aren't going to motivate you forever. That's not what they're designed for. Even although it feels good in the beginning. The stimulants will help you stay on task, but you still have to choose to particpate in the tasks in the first place.

Avoiding tasks becomes a habit over time, making it harder and harder to participate in things.

It's not so much motivation you need, but will power. Will power is starting on something, even when you don't feel motivated to. If the stimulants are doing what they're intended to do, then you should be able to stay focused on the task without getting sidetracked as much.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
CharlesH (06-26-18), kwalk (08-05-18), Little Missy (06-25-18), psychopathetic (06-27-18), Tetrahedra (09-07-18), ToneTone (06-26-18)
Old 06-25-18, 04:32 PM
ADDvanced Member

musicman64 will become famous soon enough

Interesting, I've been feeling less than motivated. I also have to manage Type II diabetes and it can be a struggle. I find that there are very specific times during the day where the body chemistry must be just right and I am very motivated but it doesnt last for long, that's for sure.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-18, 06:12 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 15,211 Times in 7,323 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTSlater View Post
Is anyone else always feeling drained mentally? Like absolutely zero motivation for anything. Even on medication. Adderall has always worked in the past, but nothing is now. I’ve tried adderall, vyanese and concerta. All the same. I stopped taking anything a couple of years ago and took energy pills and drinks in between. Did I screw up my system and tolerance doing this? I’m so tired of feeling tired and uninterested in anything.
Any other symptoms like anxiety or depression? I have an inner struggle between them in regards to motivation. For me, anxiety motivates and depressive thought vegetates.
The Following User Says Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (06-25-18)
Old 06-25-18, 06:43 PM
Contributor

LyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to behold

I read somewhere recently that motivation is what happens after you start something, not before. I agree with that.

Some days I have to drag myself to yoga because I so do not want to go. But once I get there and get into it I'm like yeah! feel the burn!

Or at work when I get stuck with some tedious crap to do and I sit there and procrastinate. Then once I start doing it it takes me 10 minutes to do the thing I wasted 20 minutes trying not to do.

Also: Sounds like depression. Seems to be affecting your life so I'd suggest talking to your doctor. See if that could be making things worse.
The Following User Says Thank You to LyrinMeow For This Useful Post:
CharlesH (06-26-18)
Old 06-25-18, 10:13 PM

Itís a combination of the lack of motivation honestly stemming from the mental exhaustion of that makes sense. Just a few years ago taking adderall was like putting on a pair of glasses and seeing for the first time. I had more energy and focus. I was creative and could work on projects and get things done. Now I take it and itís like I havenít taken anything. I can take 60mg and be completely blah. I also have anxiety and depression. I really feel like itís all relative to me just being so damn tired all the tine. I weened myself off of the cymbalta I was on weeks ago to try and have just the adderall and now the concerts in me without anything else and I still feel nothing. I have really long days and four little girls and Iím just trying to get and keep my head together and above water.
Old 06-26-18, 05:30 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,444 Times in 15,032 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

These meds do not give you motivation. That part comes from you. They given you staying power, clarity and focus to increase your chances at getting sh*t done. I can just as easily tool around the net as I can tackle my laundry- I just have to get myself in the right mindset and choose laundry.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (06-27-18)
Old 06-26-18, 06:31 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

Quote:
Itís a combination of the lack of motivation honestly stemming from the mental exhaustion of that makes sense.
Are you getting enough sleep consistently? If not, that alone could explain your mental exhaustion. You say that you have long days and have to take care of 4 kids. That would be hard on anybody, ADHD or not.
The Following User Says Thank You to CharlesH For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (06-27-18)
Old 06-26-18, 06:45 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

Quote:
Is anyone else always feeling drained mentally? Like absolutely zero motivation for anything. Even on medication.
I sometimes feel this way when I don't have a productive outlet/goal to channel my energies. Because of low self-confidence in my ability to follow through on anything, I give up on trying to accomplish anything.
The Following User Says Thank You to CharlesH For This Useful Post:
kwalk (08-05-18)
Old 06-26-18, 08:52 AM

I agree about the motivation part, I didnít word this properly. Itís my overall drive and interest in anything is just not there. Before I could take my meds and clean my house. Make appointments. Be on top of things. Now I take them and I feel nothing. My husband is a stay at home Dad so Iím not working from and then also taking care of them all day. If I take a sleep aid I could sleep from 9-630 and still wake up exhausted. Iím just starting to feel like nothings going to help.
Old 06-26-18, 10:57 AM
ADDvanced Member

allesandro1 has a spectacular aura aboutallesandro1 has a spectacular aura about

I'm feeling exactly the same way. Adderall doesn't seem to have any effect at all. I also have no motivation. Clinically, they call it 'anhedonia' which is a symptom of depression. I've had lots of changes in my life over the past year, and a bad experience with a part time job I started last September which I left in February. Haven't quite found a meaningful routine yet
Old 06-26-18, 02:05 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Quote:
Before I could take my meds and clean my house. Make appointments. Be on top of things. Now I take them and I feel nothing.
How long did those positive effects last? IME, they tend to go away pretty quickly. The vast majority of people (ADHD or not) generally do not want to clean the house, make appointments, etc. You'll have to motivate yourself by some other means than meds.

Now, if you're physically tired even after getting lots of sleep, that could be an indication of something wrong.
Old 06-27-18, 09:08 AM

The positive side effects were there for years everytime I took them up until recently after not taking them for a few years.

Thatís the thing, the exhaustion is always there, even after getting lots of sleep and not doing any other extensive activities.
Old 08-01-18, 03:12 PM

Antilope is on a distinguished road

I am not a doctor.

Having said that, I have had increasing fatigue for a few months. One doc wanted to prescribe antidepressants. A new GP suggested checking blood count. Turned out to be iron and vitamin D deficiency. Now taking prescribed supplements and things are improving.

So, perhaps something to look into with your doctor?
Old 08-01-18, 11:29 PM

ryanolivas is on a distinguished road

Give yourself some time to rest.I think travel is the best solution to this. Travel different places so that you can refresh and restart yourself. You can then see your purpose and be motivated by the people you have met.