ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

View Poll Results: How many times have you been fired?
0 20 32.79%
1 14 22.95%
2 14 22.95%
3 3 4.92%
4 2 3.28%
4+ 8 13.11%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-02-04, 10:01 PM
Contributor

MRB is on a distinguished road
Man, I'm jealous of you guys who got fired from jobs that didn't matter as much. The first time it was a firm that I worked for where I not only brought them business, but when I was hired said, "you can ask me to do X or Y, but don't ask me to do Z b/c I've never been trained to do it." These are attorneys we're talking about. Great practitioners, terrible managers. You know what happened. "Go do Z!" Failed miserably at Z. Didn't stand up for myself and resist. Got it wrong. You know what happened.

THEN I talked my way into supporting someone in the music industry who has ADD in denial (very famous music producer; you woulndn't believe how often it happens). Everything was great b/c I understood the way he was and wasn't AS ADD (actually, he's ADHD - NEVER slept, this guy). Anyway, another woman who was after his job moved in, and not only was I expected to support both of them but she was super-organized and anal and they never communicated about whose work was supposed to be done when - I was just supposed to figure out how to "make it happen" (God, I hate that phrase). You can guess what happened.

Currently feeling like failure. Professional degree and NO idea what to do with it. Have been offered several networking contacts but since I've worked in so many different fields where I was just told to "jump in and go" but never trained to do anything, I feel like I have all these fancy credentials and no skills, so I'm not sure how the hell I'm supposed to support myself since I've been in the labor market for 20 years doing 20 entry level-jobs instead of having 20 years experience at one job. So any advice from the brilliant people here would be much appreciated (don't have the capital to go into business for myself yet).
Old 03-07-04, 09:12 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Energizer_Bunny is on a distinguished road
Just twice and one was at a job that I had been at for 10 years and I was so lost and confused and I also had undiagnosed ADHD. And now that I look back on things, I see the ADHD and how it did effect my performance. The bad thing is, the management staff overlooked the intelligent and the fact that I could "catch a thief". I had been in the hotel business for 14 years.
Old 03-28-04, 02:12 AM
Jr Member

lefty5150 is on a distinguished road
lets just say that if I had 100 bucks for every time I got fired or quit I could pay cash for a new corvette!!
Well thats overstating it a bit, but I would estimate around 25 to 30 and I'm 49 soon to turn 50. like I said in another post, this has caused alot of grief for both my wife and me. I know she has to be at the end of her rope with me. My biggest problem is staying focused and not getting distracted.example: my last job was at wal mart 3rd shift stocking groceries. they use a method they call "zoning" or "zone as you go", which means as you put the product on the shelf,make sure all the labels are facing out and pull everything to the front..pretty simple..right? well, every time I would start I would put all the stuff on the shelves then go back and zone everything. I was told over and over again but its like I would get sidetracked and end up doing it my own way. the boss would get up in my face and ask me "did they show you how to zone as you go?"...yea..."well why ain't you doin it"? I didn't have an answer for him I was too ashamed to tell him the real reason.
well needless to say Iwas handed my walkin papers. and thats pretty much how its been my whole life. the only things I'm any good at are playing guitar, harmonica and doing voice imatations.
but I'm basically very shy so performing in front of alot of people would be hard. I would love to do voice overs for cartoons or commercials. but thats just a pipe dream I reckon. hollywood is chock full of nuts already. If anybody has any imput please let it fly

Firesign Theatre
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-04, 02:47 PM
Contributor

MRB is on a distinguished road
Lefty, there are lots of local markets for VoiceOver (or "VO" as I've heard it called in the industry). Do some Google searching; go to LearningAnnex.com and see if they've got a VO workshop in your area. I don't know what part of NC you're in but I do know that in and around the major cities there are thriving indie music scenes, and recording studios are usually attached to those, and some form of VO work can be attached to THOSE (especially since a lot of recording work can be done remotely now - you know the stories about how they want Ashanti for background vocals and she's in California and the studio is in New York, right? Well, thanks to web-enabled recording, they don't have to spend the money to fly her to New York anymore).

Good luck checking those out.
Old 04-21-04, 11:08 AM
Jr Member

lefty5150 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the tip, MRB. I did a google search and it turned up all kinds of places. most of them require a fee, but some are pretty reasonable. I'm in the process of making a demo CD, so mabye my
dream will come true someday. Sure not having any luck with the 9 to 5 world. I'll keep y'all posted.

Firesign Theatre
Old 04-26-04, 10:24 AM
ADDvanced Member

akiss4u is on a distinguished road
Question How many Jobs and career paths?

I can relate to the "never been fired but quit many jobs". I consider myself loyal and I dont like certain kinds of change that require me to learn things I am not interested in. Does anyone thrive off of the thrill of starting a new job? For me it all seems great at the beginning and then... well the feelings of over-stressed, stomach aches, migranes, taking on too much "The Whole Nine Yards" sets in and I run away - on to something new! Either my co-workers love me or they hate me. How many different career paths has everyone taken on and what were they?

Here are mine:
Digital Photography
Computer Consulting
House Keeping
Waitressing
Administrative
Nursing
Investigations
Marketing
Tellemarketing
Sales Assitant
Day care
Accounting/BookKeeping
Constuction Collections
Homemaker

I started college for Nursing, Communications, Investgations and Paralegal and I never completed them.

Does anyone else have these same problems and If so have you noticed any improvement after your ADD discovery?
Old 05-02-04, 02:51 AM

BadHire is on a distinguished road
Re: How many Jobs and career paths?

Quote:
Originally posted by akiss4u

Does anyone else have these same problems and If so have you noticed any improvement after your ADD discovery?
Oh man, yes! About a job a year at best over the last 15 years (i.e. my adult life).

Same career, just different places. Lots and lots and lots of different places!

Hoping learning to deal with it brings some stability for my poor wife's sanity.
Old 10-31-19, 04:03 AM
ADDvanced Member

Monox D. I-Fly has a spectacular aura aboutMonox D. I-Fly has a spectacular aura about
Re: How many times have you been fired?

When this thread was posted, I haven't had a job yet (in fact, I was still a middle schooler in 2004). However, right now I've been working on my fourth job, and I've never been fired even once. I myself am wondering about this thing, and several days ago I was chatting with my brother regarding how it is a miracle that I have never been fired at all despite all my clumsiness and constant messing-up. And yes, my coworkers and higher-ups didn't overlook that, they did call out on me regarding those things but never to the extent of firing me. Probably I was just that lucky to always end up in places with people who have enough patience to put up with me.
Old 10-31-19, 04:41 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,262 Times in 2,958 Posts
Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monox D. I-Fly View Post
When this thread was posted, I haven't had a job yet (in fact, I was still a middle schooler in 2004). However, right now I've been working on my fourth job, and I've never been fired even once. I myself am wondering about this thing, and several days ago I was chatting with my brother regarding how it is a miracle that I have never been fired at all despite all my clumsiness and constant messing-up. And yes, my coworkers and higher-ups didn't overlook that, they did call out on me regarding those things but never to the extent of firing me. Probably I was just that lucky to always end up in places with people who have enough patience to put up with me.

How did your clumsiness lead to you losing your job?

Whenever you see a crowd all rushing in the same direction on any one issue, run in the opposite direction.

There is neither fun nor profit to be had in polishing the brass knobs on a bandwagon.
Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

Old 10-31-19, 12:47 PM

Thanked 6,141 Times in 2,807 Posts
Stevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond reputeStevuke79 has a reputation beyond repute

I was fired from my first job ever. I sucked. They were actually looking for someone more senior... but I present myself as being super wonderful and brilliant... so they decided I would be able to rise to the occasion. Nope!

This planet is now property of the Sontaran Empire. Surrender your women and intellectuals. -Commander Strax
Old 10-31-19, 01:08 PM

Thanked 11,549 Times in 6,102 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

I was like let go from like 3 jobs most of the others I quit before they could fire me as a screw up
Old 10-31-19, 11:10 PM
ADDvanced Member

Monox D. I-Fly has a spectacular aura aboutMonox D. I-Fly has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunga Dorji View Post
How did your clumsiness lead to you losing your job?
Sorry, I should've just emphasized on the "constant messing-up" part.
Old 11-02-19, 01:34 PM

Thanked 11,549 Times in 6,102 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

I fire myself everyday at 330 pm lol