ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 04-21-10, 11:24 AM
ADDvanced Member

Musiscience is on a distinguished road
Question A question about medication

I have a question concerning medication.

Lately I have stopped to take my medication thinking that it would help with my anxiety and depression, because I was really going down to hell because of them and became suicidal. I stopped taking my medication in november. What was surprising is that my grades did not drop even if I studied and did my final exams (university, in pharmaceutical sciences) without the medication. This let me think that I should take some time for myself and drop for a semester to cure my depression and anxiety, and continue without medication.

I was wrong. I failed. The depression and anxiety were less severe, but still there, but the confusion and mind race was unbearable, like I could not control my own mind. So I took a pill today and I feel incredibly at peace, but I know that in the long term it will go back to severe depression and anxiety. (The medication is concerta)

So I was wondering, has anyone tryed a medication that was not so hard on the depression/anxiety? Because I have an appointment with a psychiatrist in 2 weeks and I want to give him a suggestion or two. I heard about stratera and other medication, but real experiences with a medication are sometime different than what we learn in the books, which is why I would want your opinions and experiences with different medications.

This would probably help me get a medication that is more suitable for my case.

Thank you a thousand times.

Cheers,

Musiscience
Old 04-21-10, 05:46 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

amiegrace has much to be proud ofamiegrace has much to be proud ofamiegrace has much to be proud ofamiegrace has much to be proud ofamiegrace has much to be proud ofamiegrace has much to be proud ofamiegrace has much to be proud ofamiegrace has much to be proud ofamiegrace has much to be proud ofamiegrace has much to be proud of
Re: A question about medication

Musiscience --

It may be that you need a mood stabilizer like Lamictal or Depakote, for example, or an antidepressant like Wellbutrin, to ensure that the stimulant does not have that effect. Also, if your depression is cyclical -- for example, due to seasonal light changes -- then it may not be related to your meds at all -- ? Something to discuss with your doctor, definitely, as any time you start/stop a medication the doctor should definitely be on track with you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amiegrace For This Useful Post:
Amtram (04-22-10), Musiscience (04-22-10)
Old 04-22-10, 11:55 AM
ADDvanced Member

I think my depression is accentuated by the seasons, so I use a therapy light when I have the time in the mornin, but it is persistent even in the summer and even when I stop the meds for a long time. I think it is the first time in my life that I realise how much good the meds are doing for me.

Thank you for the answer
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-10, 04:08 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 17,520 Times in 7,316 Posts
Amtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond repute

It's very tempting to stop meds for various reasons. It's just not always a good idea. If you stop them and start having the same problems that got you taking them in the first place, well, you probably need them.

If what they were doing for you wasn't optimal, you may just need to try different ones. Fortunately, there are a lot of options out there nowadays.

Were you taking concerta alone, or along with an antidepressant? I was just talking on another thread about how I couldn't tolerate an ADD medication that had worked for me in the past without the balancing effects of an antidepressant. Stimulants can cause anxiety, and if they do, then they're not going to do you much good! amiegrace is right - you should talk to your doctor about something for mood, and that might make things better for you, and make an ADD medication less anxiety-provoking.
The Following User Says Thank You to Amtram For This Useful Post:
Musiscience (04-26-10)
Old 04-26-10, 01:11 PM
ADDvanced Member

Thank you for your answer Amtram. I will tell my doctor about the problem with anxiety, because I think it is not caused by the meds, it just get worse when I take them. I guess there is a co-mobidity with something else but it never got diagnosed, since my other psychiatrist was very expeditive and never asked any questions, just gave me meds and goodbye. I just wish that this time the diagnosis will be better and the right meds will be prescribed !

Cheers,

Musiscience