ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Relationships & Social Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Relationships & Social Issues This forum is for adults with AD/HD to discuss how AD/HD affects personal relationships.

Old 01-16-18, 03:46 PM

maga2016 is on a distinguished road
Best way to approach something?

Dear all,

I've recently overcame my ADHD disability in terms of being able to manage it. Now that I finished school I have decided to make Aliyah to Israel. In this country I have a large extended family. My grandmother suggested I form a cousin like relationship with one of my second cousins. Due to him being a native Israeli and having a similar upbringing as me.

What's the best way to approach this?

Thanks!
Old 01-16-18, 10:35 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,401 Times in 1,128 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Best way to approach something?

I've never been to Israel, but a number of my friends have (one of my friends has two children there right now) and they report that Israel is a very warm and welcoming society ... people band together and support each other and take care of each other.

Just contact your cousin, introduce yourself and say you'd like to meet when you go over there. You can even say, my grandmother gave me your name and suggested I contact you ... He'll most likely respond and you guys can set up the details to meet.

I don't want to disagree with your grandmother, but she's jumping ahead a bit. Once you sit down, you may or may not feel like you click with this cousin. So you may or may not form a close bond ... He'll probably suggest places for you to go, probably will invite you out with his friends/family ... but if you don't form a good bond with him, chill ... because my friends make it sound like you'll form bonds with random Israelis you bump into.

Good luck.

Tone
The Following User Says Thank You to ToneTone For This Useful Post:
stef (01-17-18)
Old 02-05-18, 09:13 PM
Jr Member

Lash107 is on a distinguished road
Re: Best way to approach something?

I think I understand.

How about writing a friendly letter to your cousin before you arrive? An ice-breaker, so to speak. Maybe you can meet some place to socialize and if you don’t click...you both tried. You may enjoy getting to know each other.

Regardless, grandma is appeased; I sense that’s important to you. Go with the flow?
Sponsored Links