ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 02-09-17, 06:21 PM

Bazzadoh is on a distinguished road
Health service in Ireland not recognising adult adhd

I have been going to my GP for years due to my ADHD symptoms. Doctors dismisses me every time. I decide to go to a private clinical psychologist and she diagnised me with combined adhd in moderate level. I am a 45 year old male.
Her recommendation was for me to go back to my GP so I can get referred onto a psychiatrist My GP did this, I thought after all these years I am about to get treated for a condition I had all my life.
My doctor called me in to see him this morning and read out a note from the psychiatrist that I have been waiting to see. The psychiatrists said on the note that she could do nothing for me as I am over 18 and adhd is not an issue with adults.
I am vack to square one and at the end of my tether. I submitted an official complaint to the HSE and the psychiatrist herself.
This is a real condition but is not recognised by the vast majority of health professionals.
I have now got a referral in Dublin where it is an 8 hour round trip to get there.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bazzadoh For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (02-10-17), aeon (02-11-17), Fuzzy12 (02-10-17), namazu (02-09-17), PoppnNSailinMan (02-17-17)
Old 02-10-17, 03:01 AM
Contributor

20thcenturyfox is a jewel in the rough20thcenturyfox is a jewel in the rough20thcenturyfox is a jewel in the rough
Very Sorry to Hear This...

As you probably know (since you say you have submitted a complaint) both the UK and Europe have "official" guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of ADHD in adults (as well as children). This page from the ADHD Institute references several of them, and specifically mentions several countries...but not Eire. http://www.adhd-institute.com/diseas...an-guidelines/

Unfortunately, as you have discovered, even "official" guidelines don't always translate into reasonable access to treatment across all geographic areas. I presume this would be even more true for specialized services like psychosocial therapies than for medication. Hopefully you will at least end up with a prescription you can bring back home and have refilled locally.

Imagine how many other adults like yourself there must be in the hinterland who are undiagnosed, untreated, and unsupported. I wish you the best of luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to 20thcenturyfox For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (02-10-17)
Old 02-10-17, 06:07 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 5,934 Times in 2,458 Posts
kilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Health service in Ireland not recognising adult adhd

We had the same issue in Scotland when I was diagnosed.

There were no Adult ADHD diagnosticians in Scotland, however there was agreement that ADHD occurred in children.

A support group was formed that had as it's main objective the lobbying of parliament to recognise Adult ADHD and produce guidelines for its treatment.

Crucial to the success of this strategy was the recruitment of ADHD aware psychs who gave insider knowledge of how to change the "system" It took a while but it was successful.

Individual complaints can be useful, however a coordinated response involving people with ADHD and health professionals may be the way to go. THe one here had a non-ADDer as it's Admin/organised person... which probably helped!

I am involved in a small dementia care lobbying group here in Scotland and I'm surprised at how powerful small groups of people can be when well organised.

If you are angry.... as you have a right to be, then you could try to channel that anger constructively.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kilted_scotsman For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (02-10-17), aeon (02-11-17), Fuzzy12 (02-10-17), salleh (02-10-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-17, 09:35 AM

Thanked 8,346 Times in 3,313 Posts
salleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond repute

....I am on Medicade in California, ....and they won't pay for my meds ( as I am "too old" ) and they won't pay for my pdoc either ......

......So I pay out of pocket for everything ......luckily my pdoc understands and only charges me $75 a visit, and I use GoodRx coupons and pay less than half the retail price for my meds .....

...As meds are essential for me to function at all, it is always 1st on my list of expenses .......everything else can be cut back .....

....This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in the oncoming traffic lane"
Terry Pratchett

....If you're going through hell, ......keep going.....
The Following User Says Thank You to salleh For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (02-10-17)
Old 02-16-17, 06:54 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 28,045 Times in 12,604 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by salleh View Post
....I am on Medicade in California, ....and they won't pay for my meds ( as I am "too old" ) and they won't pay for my pdoc either ......

......So I pay out of pocket for everything ......luckily my pdoc understands and only charges me $75 a visit, and I use GoodRx coupons and pay less than half the retail price for my meds .....

...As meds are essential for me to function at all, it is always 1st on my list of expenses .......everything else can be cut back .....
This is so weird. I know adderall xr was approved for adult adhd.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Old 02-16-17, 06:56 AM
Mod-A-holic

sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzadoh View Post
I have been going to my GP for years due to my ADHD symptoms. Doctors dismisses me every time. I decide to go to a private clinical psychologist and she diagnised me with combined adhd in moderate level. I am a 45 year old male.
Her recommendation was for me to go back to my GP so I can get referred onto a psychiatrist My GP did this, I thought after all these years I am about to get treated for a condition I had all my life.
My doctor called me in to see him this morning and read out a note from the psychiatrist that I have been waiting to see. The psychiatrists said on the note that she could do nothing for me as I am over 18 and adhd is not an issue with adults.
I am vack to square one and at the end of my tether. I submitted an official complaint to the HSE and the psychiatrist herself.
This is a real condition but is not recognised by the vast majority of health professionals.
I have now got a referral in Dublin where it is an 8 hour round trip to get there.
I found this:
http://www.simplywellbeing.com/help-...sis-in-the-uk/
So even though its recognized in the UK as an adult condition, your doctor can ignore that??

I thought the article was interesting.

I carried a watermelon?

Old 02-17-17, 06:09 AM

Thanked 5,934 Times in 2,458 Posts
kilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
So even though its recognized in the UK as an adult condition, your doctor can ignore that??
Ireland isn't in the UK..... medics can happily ignore what happens there, same as medics in the US, Germany, France, Netherlands, Belgium, Spain, Italy, Denmark etc....
Old 02-17-17, 06:12 AM
Mod-A-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilted_scotsman View Post
Ireland isn't in the UK..... medics can happily ignore what happens there, same as medics in the US, Germany, France, Netherlands, Belgium, Spain, Italy, Denmark etc....
OMG how dumb am I, i always thought scotland, england and ireland were like the triplethreat trifecta.

I carried a watermelon?

Old 02-17-17, 06:14 PM
ADDvanced Member

PoppnNSailinMan is just really nicePoppnNSailinMan is just really nicePoppnNSailinMan is just really nicePoppnNSailinMan is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by salleh View Post

I also live in California and was able to get Ritalin through Medicaid. I think my doctor had to ask for an exception, but it was approved. So it is possible for adults to get meds for ADHD through Medicaid in California.
Bart Simpson (to the tune of “I'm Popeye the Sailor Man”): “When I can’t stop my fiddlin’, I just takes me Ritalin, I’m poppin’ and sailin’, man!” (“Brother’s Little Helper,” Season 11, episode 2, aired 10/3/99)

Dx: AD/HD-PI