ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

View Poll Results: If you take Dexedrine what do you use to sleep?
Zopiclone/Imovane/Ambien (or other sedative-hypnotic) 0 0%
Temazepam/Lorazapam/Clonazepam/Diazepam (or other benzodiazapine) 0 0%
Seroquel/Abilify/Lyrica (or other antipsychotic) 0 0%
Other 1 20.00%
Nothing or Natural options (Melatonin/essential oils) 5 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-10-17, 05:29 AM

FinallyKnowNow is on a distinguished road
Question Need Dexedrine for Work, Can't sleep

After a potentially life-threatening distraction on the job, I was diagnosed at age 40, and immediately started on Dexedrine. I take it 3 times a day, to get through a 12 hour shift. I also started on Zopiclone (Imovane) at the same time. I also have a surgically shortened gut, so my absorption is in un-charted waters. Zopiclone 7.5 mg did nothing, so I went to 15 mg. This works, to counteract the wakefulness, but I noticed that I get the "waking amnesia" side effect, where I do things, (not stupid, but may be cooking, talking on the phone, sending e-mails, whatever) with absolutely no knowledge of having done it the next morning. So I asked a new Dr. to try something else. He said to try Temazepam. 25mg did nothing, 50 mg did nothing, 75 mg did nothing...I don't know if there is something better, or a higher dose is still needed. I work nights, so sleeping the next day is crucial, otherwise I am awake straight through, and then have to go back to work, on no sleep. I have ended up staying awake for up to 66 hours straight... What have you found that works for you?
Old 02-10-17, 02:53 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,929 Times in 9,006 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Need Dexedrine for Work, Can't sleep

Have you tried reducing your final dose of Dexedrine to a smaller amount?
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
The Following User Says Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
Fraser_0762 (02-10-17)
Old 02-10-17, 03:06 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 5,041 Times in 2,490 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

Try taking Magnesium before bed at night. I find I get a better sleep when I do.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
Simargl (02-25-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-17, 03:32 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,929 Times in 9,006 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

Despite anything anyone can say, in the end you need sleep for work even more than you need Dexedrine for work. That means, despite anything anyone can say, there is going to be a compromise. It's better to start out already knowing that.
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
Fraser_0762 (02-10-17), Pilgrim (02-25-17)
Old 02-25-17, 01:16 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,789 Times in 1,138 Posts
Pilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdnvwls View Post
Despite anything anyone can say, in the end you need sleep for work even more than you need Dexedrine for work. That means, despite anything anyone can say, there is going to be a compromise. It's better to start out already knowing that.
True, I had an issue with this. I noticed once certain profound emotional issues were dealt with my sleep was something to look forward to. The sleep is more important than anything.
Old 02-25-17, 08:26 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 27,757 Times in 12,450 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I also have surgery that affected the way I absorb medications. What it sort of turned me into is that elusive "fast metabolizer" which is a phrase that people toss around and I wouldnt have bought into, had I not had my body changed. For me that usually means I take xr versions of things because I blow through most ir versions super fast. The xr versions of things tend to last as if they are ir. I take adderall xr multiple times a day because I do not get 6-8 hours out of it like most people. Ir adderall or any other stimulant was a wasted because in 2 hours it would be like I had taken nothing.
I used to take all kinds of benzos and sleep meds but my body changed the way I absorbed them so I was all kinds of f'd up when I took them, plus I am an alcoholic so generally speaking, downers arent good for me.

I under went sleep training that took me 9 months and it saved my life. It wasnt easy, but it was worth it.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Old 03-10-17, 03:51 PM

33Forward will become famous soon enough

At one point in time, I had to work overnight weekends, then switch back to day shifts on Monday. It was maddening, and I was constantly sick.
The only things I did, that seemed to lessen the effect of this insane schedule:

Your body depends on light to figure out when to release signals to sleep or wake up. Normally, your body turns to sunlight. To change this, and "trick" ourselves into an altered schedule is to change our light exposure. I used black out curtains to block sunlight when I had to sleep during the day. I used a lot of lights and digital timers to mimic the room brightening effect that a sunrise would normally create. (I now have a dedicated sunrise alarm clock that does the same thing, which helps get up when I have early morning shifts).
I also influenced my brain's wake/sleep state using different music. When I needed to be awake, I would play fast paced rock or techno. When I needed to sleep, I would play mellow slow music, usually some classical and some loops created just to have some soothing background.
I also used a supplement called 5HTP, which is Tryptophan, which helps your body start producing sleep-inducing chemicals.

Now that I have a more steady schedule, and have researched many things in the past several years, I still stick by the 5HTP to help sleep, I have my sunrise alarm clock to help wake up, and I use essential oils to help strengthen the sleep/wake signals. The more I've looked into it recently, the more I've seen how smells influence the limbic system, and your brain can associate a scent or smell with a task, a memory, feeling full or feeling hungry, and when you should be awake or asleep. Our sense of smell feeds right into the limbic system with no filters, so scents make their changes fast, usually instantly.
(not Einstein, as some believe)
"Right now...time is having its way with you." -Van Halen

"It is the same with people as it is with riding a bike. Only when moving can one comfortably maintain one's balance." -Albert Einstein
The Following User Says Thank You to 33Forward For This Useful Post:
Postulate (03-10-17)
Old 03-10-17, 04:27 PM
Banned

Postulate is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you able to tell us your profession and your work setup?