ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Women with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Women with ADD/ADHD This forum is for women to discuss issues related to being a woman with AD/HD.

Old 02-15-17, 04:34 AM
Jr Member

Piccoreo90 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Dead Libido on Adderall

26, in a long term healthy relationship, 1 child, co-existing ADHD and general anxiety disorder. So, I've been on and off Adderall throughout my life and finally accepted about 18 months ago that I may be on it forever to function, and I'm okay with that-I'm thankful that with the right medication I'm able to maintain relationships, excel at work, and be an active parent. HOWEVER...as of the last year-ish, my libido is mostly dead. It's extremely upsetting as I'm still young and have a wonderful partner. Before I was on Adderall I was pretty active sexually and well, I don't feel quite like myself. I'm too nervous to talk to my doctor as he's a man. I'm not interested in trying other ADD meds (I tried Concerta before and didn't care for it). Does anyone have advice for counteracting this side effect?
Old 02-15-17, 11:11 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 8,346 Times in 3,313 Posts
salleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dead Libido on Adderall

....This is something I don't have personal experience with, but I suspect it has more to do with your life, than with the adderall......I could be wrong on this,.....but I would look to other factors in your life before I'd mess with your adderall......

....This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in the oncoming traffic lane"
Terry Pratchett

....If you're going through hell, ......keep going.....
Old 02-15-17, 11:29 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 10,955 Times in 4,868 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Also, doctors have seen and heard it all, and they will not judge you, or shame you...I can appreciate your discomfort, but it is in your best interest to provide as much information about your situation as possible.

Cheers,
Ian
Old 02-15-17, 02:11 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 28,045 Times in 12,604 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I would bet the farm that it has nothing to do with the adderall but has to do with either some other issue, hormones or a change in your life.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Old 02-16-17, 03:21 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Cyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond repute

"Decreased libido" is apparently known to be a "common" side effect (1% 10% of patients) of therapeutic doses of amphetamine, per drugs.com. The prescribing information for Adderall from FDA.gov also lists "changes in libido" as a potential adverse effect.

So if the problem started around the time the Adderall started (or around the time you increased the dose), the Adderall is likely the culprit.

Unfortunately, I don't know of a way to counteract it. No idea what your doctor would even suggest if you brought it up.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cyllya For This Useful Post:
aeon (02-16-17)