ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Vyvanse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate)

Old 02-15-17, 05:17 PM

The mighty mayo is on a distinguished road
My Vyvanse experience. Does it work? Is this how it's supposed to be?

Hey! I'm new here. I wonder if any of you have similar experiences as me with Vyvanse because I'm honestly quite confused. My doctor couldn't really supply me with any valuable information regarding this so I turn to you to see if any of you have been in a similar situation.

First few times I tried Vyvanse 30 mg I felt great with nice focus and a bit of euphoria. A few years passed and I got diagnosed and started Ritalin 50 mg for a month and the effect ranged from "meh" to "almost positive". When the Ritalin didn't do it's job they put me on Vyvanse 30 mg and I naively thought to myself that here comes the solution to my problems. The Vyvanse was a disappointment since I barely felt any effect.

They upped me to 50 mg and the first day was great with good focus and a bit of euphoria just like the first time I tried 30 mg. I got some hope that I finally found my ideal medicine but these positive effects only lasted for a few days, so here I am again with a dose that worked at a start but now barely gets noticed. The longest effect I ever noticed from start is about 4 hours. So what exactly am I experiencing here?

- Is it simply a medicine that doesn't work but gives me the initial euphoria that new users experience?
- Or is it an effective medicine but I build tolerance crazy fast?
- And also, how do you know it's working? Do you feel it in your body that it's working in this very moment or is it more that you look back at the past few weeks and conclude that you had slightly more focus/energy/motivation than before?
Old 02-17-17, 05:32 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 27,757 Times in 12,450 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My Vyvanse experience. Does it work? Is this how it's supposed to be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The mighty mayo View Post
First few times I tried Vyvanse 30 mg I felt great with nice focus and a bit of euphoria. A few years passed and I got diagnosed and started Ritalin 50 mg for a month and the effect ranged from "meh" to "almost positive". When the Ritalin didn't do it's job they put me on Vyvanse 30 mg and I naively thought to myself that here comes the solution to my problems. The Vyvanse was a disappointment since I barely felt any effect.
Was the initial 30mg a prescription from your doctor or sort of your own experiment?

Quote:
They upped me to 50 mg and the first day was great with good focus and a bit of euphoria just like the first time I tried 30 mg. I got some hope that I finally found my ideal medicine but these positive effects only lasted for a few days, so here I am again with a dose that worked at a start but now barely gets noticed. The longest effect I ever noticed from start is about 4 hours. So what exactly am I experiencing here?
Stop focusing on the euphoria, thats not the point of medication. vyvanse IMO works great for some people but for alot of people the purported duration of 12 hours is a pipe dream. When I briefly took vyvanse I didnt get more than 6-8 hours of coverage.

Quote:
- Is it simply a medicine that doesn't work but gives me the initial euphoria that new users experience?
A lot of meds give you a brief euphoria and usually doesnt last more than a few days, and in reality thats a good thing. If we all always felt euphoric then I dont think we could concentrate on making the changes and developing the habits we need because the pay-pff would be the euphoria rather than the overall life improvement we need.

Quote:
- Or is it an effective medicine but I build tolerance crazy fast?
- And also, how do you know it's working? Do you feel it in your body that it's working in this very moment or is it more that you look back at the past few weeks and conclude that you had slightly more focus/energy/motivation than before?
no its not tolerance, which is not as common as most people think. In fact I would be soooooo suprised if anyone developed tolerance that fast.
Meds sort of hum in the backround not blast you off the surface of the earth and turn you into superman.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Old 02-17-17, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Thanks for the answer! All the meds were prescription except the first time with vyvanse (I know, not recommended at all). I was quite prepared for the euphoria to vanish eventually but besides that I excpected the medicine to be more noticable and that I would at least have some perception of when the medicine is in effect and when it's not. It seems the search for the right dose/medicine contiunes and I have some hope that after a few moths I can look back at everything and see more clearly what worked and what did not.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-17, 09:28 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 27,757 Times in 12,450 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The mighty mayo View Post
Thanks for the answer! All the meds were prescription except the first time with vyvanse (I know, not recommended at all). I was quite prepared for the euphoria to vanish eventually but besides that I excpected the medicine to be more noticable and that I would at least have some perception of when the medicine is in effect and when it's not. It seems the search for the right dose/medicine contiunes and I have some hope that after a few moths I can look back at everything and see more clearly what worked and what did not.
I dont know what part of Europe you are from but have you considered another amphetamine? Or something from the methylphenidate class like ritalin or concerta?

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Old 03-19-17, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
I dont know what part of Europe you are from but have you considered another amphetamine? Or something from the methylphenidate class like ritalin or concerta?
Tried dexedrine which seems better. Ritalin was basically just a bunch of side effects. In my case dexterine seems slightly better! Actually I am from Europe, how could you guess? When I look back at my situation before and after medication there actually are some benifits. Just hard to notice sometimes.