ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Vyvanse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate)

Old 06-09-11, 10:17 PM
ADDvanced Member

relax21 is a jewel in the roughrelax21 is a jewel in the roughrelax21 is a jewel in the rough
Vyvanse Long Term Clinical Studies?

I was reading about Vyvanse on their official website and I found this tid-bit of information:

"The effectiveness of Vyvanse has not been evaluated in patients for more than 4 weeks."

If you're having trouble with Vyvanse being effective in the long run maybe there's a reason for that, and cause for concern (Probably not, but it's something to think about)? I don't know of any long term studies of Vyvanse; 4 weeks seems rather short to test a medication. Might be worth discussing with your doctor to see if they have any more information on this.
Old 06-09-11, 11:56 PM
Artisan of Shenanigans

Thanked 4,772 Times in 3,106 Posts
Conman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Vyvanse Long Term Clinical Studies?

gee i wonder why. that stuff worked the same as adderall, except vyvanse hurt my appetite (and thus, weight) 10 times worse than adderall

-Hunter S. Thompson
Old 06-10-11, 12:23 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

tambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of light

Most drugs are not evaulated over a long period of time before their initial release. Adderall, Ritalin and Dexedrine should be the first line treatment options because they are tried and true, having all been all been used to treat various disorders for 50 years or more.

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-11, 12:35 AM

Thanked 2,096 Times in 1,196 Posts
StoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant future

Vyvanse is practically Dexedrine, but has lysine attached to it.

Dexedrine has a pretty good safety record along with other ADHD meds, so it should be ok for the long term.

Dx: Adhd Combined type, Asperger's Syndrome, Mathematics Disability (10/4/10)..Panic Disorder, Atypical Depression, Agoraphobia, paranoia.
Rx: Dexedrine IR 2.5-5 mg PRN (starting on 1/21/12).
Past meds: Namenda, Focalin IR, Ritalin IR, Adderall IR, D-Amp IR, Nicotine/Swedish Snus.
Boycott Teva/Barr, CorePharma, Mallinckrodt (Methylin)

REST IN PEACE
Old 06-10-11, 12:55 AM

Thanked 4,334 Times in 2,020 Posts
trishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoicNate View Post

Dexedrine has a pretty good safety record along with other ADHD meds, so it should be ok for the long term.
It should be, but based on what appear to be hundreds of posts throughout these forums over the past couple years, long term success on Vyvanse is rare, although many people report this med to be a "wonder drug" during the first few weeks or months.

A couple years ago, I took Vyvanse for a month and gave up because it was working intermittently and seemed to be precipitating an existential crisis of sorts. I was a mess.

I thought maybe things would be better this time around with an Adderall booster, and it went great for about ten days, and then one day I began having terrible problems breathing (air thirst). It got to the point where I was wishing for death, because I felt like I was thrashing about underwater/almost drowning every waking minute of every day.

I immediately stopped taking it, switched to just Adderall, and the breathing problems are getting better every day. I've seen a lot people describe their experience with Vyvanse as being one in which the drug "turned on them" and that's exactly how I have felt both times. I won't be giving this drug the benefit of the doubt again, that's for sure.
The Following User Says Thank You to trishcan For This Useful Post:
Lizzie80 (08-26-15)
Old 06-10-11, 01:07 AM

Thanked 2,096 Times in 1,196 Posts
StoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant future

I know that some people have bad side effects to some medications (me included).

That's why there's so many other treatment methods and medications out there.

Dx: Adhd Combined type, Asperger's Syndrome, Mathematics Disability (10/4/10)..Panic Disorder, Atypical Depression, Agoraphobia, paranoia.
Rx: Dexedrine IR 2.5-5 mg PRN (starting on 1/21/12).
Past meds: Namenda, Focalin IR, Ritalin IR, Adderall IR, D-Amp IR, Nicotine/Swedish Snus.
Boycott Teva/Barr, CorePharma, Mallinckrodt (Methylin)

REST IN PEACE
The Following User Says Thank You to StoicNate For This Useful Post:
Unmanagable (06-10-11)
Old 06-10-11, 03:02 AM
Contributor

AddaptAbilities has a spectacular aura aboutAddaptAbilities has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoicNate View Post

Yeah. From what I gather, meds that are just a different "version" of a preexisting one tend to get tested for a few months at most. Drug companies make more money by creating new drugs and hyping them than they do by studying the efficacy of the ones they already have.

I wish that weren't the case.

Current Meds: Vyvanse 70 mgs; Lamictal 150 mgs; Ativan 0.5 -1.0 mgs

Past Meds: Adderall, Lexapro, Abilify, Dexedrine Spansules, Dexedrine IR, Ritalin, Nortriptyline, Amitriptyline, Wellbutrin

The Lamictal Diaries: Medicating My Mood Disorder
The Following User Says Thank You to AddaptAbilities For This Useful Post:
Unmanagable (06-10-11)
Old 06-10-11, 01:23 PM

tambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of light

The problem I am seeing over and over again is that Vyvanse truly does begin as an all day wonder drug... then after a month or two it turns into glorified IR Dexedrine. What causes that? If it was simply a result of tolerance, wouldn't all d-amp preperations get shorter and shorter in duration. Vyanse went from lasting 14 hours to apparently lasting a mere 3. That is a big difference!

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
The Following User Says Thank You to tambourine-man For This Useful Post:
Lizzie80 (08-26-15)
Old 06-10-11, 03:36 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

JR1973 is a jewel in the roughJR1973 is a jewel in the roughJR1973 is a jewel in the rough

My theory is that steady-state levels of the drug cause the shortened duration. You see, after about 5 days of daily dosage of amphetamine your body reaches a steady-state level. This plays into how long a medication actually works.

For example when you take Vyvanse or any other medication you can picture a graph with an inverted "V" such as "^". The medicine rises, reaches the peak then drops. So now picture that same "^" and then include a horizontal line about half-way up to indicate steady-state levels.

So what happens for long term users is that once Vyvanse peaks then falls once the drug level hits the steady-state level you no longer feel the effects. If you've been taking say 50mg of Vyvanse over the long term then decide to bump your dosage up you will get a longer duration of effect UNTIL the steady-state level in the blood rises accordingly then you are back to the same problem.

This is all theory though and could be nothing but complete nonsense in my head but it makes sense to me
The Following User Says Thank You to JR1973 For This Useful Post:
tambourine-man (06-10-11)
Old 06-10-11, 04:55 PM

^ This is most likely exactly what occurs.

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
Old 09-05-14, 02:07 PM

Minniemoo is on a distinguished road

I started trying to research this issue because I have noticed each time I stop taking Vyvanse, for the first few days, I can barely function. I feel exhausted, my heart rate slows, my blood pressure drops, I sleep half the day, I can't put two words together to make a sentence. I've also noticed increased anxiety, panic attacks and irritability when I'm not taking it. This is very concerning to me.

I have a pretty sharp brain, usually, but started taking Vyvanse because I was diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome, not because I have trouble concentrating. The only reason I stopped taking it for a while is because it was completely shutting off my desire to eat and I lost too much weight. People were expressing concerns that I was too skinny and they weren't wrong. But my job is very demanding and I am required to know and keep up with so many details, it wears me out mentally. Changing jobs is not an option.

I'm starting to lose weight again and I'm so busy at work that I forget to eat until my stomach starts growling. I'm probably going to have to stop taking it again for awhile. I don't know what to do and it doesn't seems like all posts I've read end the same way; no one has the answer to how Vyvanse is affecting us long term. I am glad I found this forum though because it confirms that all the symptoms and side effects I'm experiencing are caused by Vyvanse. I am going to meet with a psychiatrist rather than my general MD to see if I can get some answers.