ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-05, 09:02 PM

Daniel'sMom is on a distinguished road
Daniel's Mom - Riverside, CA

Hello,
I am new to this site. My husband and I have a 9 year old son, Daniel. Although I agree that teacher's cannot diagnose ADHD in a child, I think that they also should not simply say that a child has just "Behavior Problems." The first few years of school for Daniel were a nightmare! Especially kindergarten because his teacher was so frustrated with him and I kept saying...."I think there is more wrong.....I think it could be ADHD......." and all I was told was that Daniel was simply a behavior problem. He could not stay focused. Doing classwork and homework took forever. He was impulsive. I had finally had enough and I decided to ask his pediatrician for some help. He had more testing done. Hearing, vision...he had already had academic testing done and we knew where he was with that. We have tried many meds with him and now i believe that we have found one that is fairly helpful. He still needs limits set and, of course, guidance.
Thanks for allowing me to post today.
Old 05-07-05, 07:19 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Digitl has disabled reputation
Welcome to the forums

I've been dating since I was fifteen! I'm exhausted. Where is he?

Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious.
Old 05-07-05, 08:52 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

adhdxyz has disabled reputation
Daniel'sMom,

Welcome to the forums. I have a 12 year old (medicated) adhd son who was diagnosed in preschool because he was sooooooo hyper. I also have a 14 year old daughter (non-medicated-yet). I am adhd (medicated) and my husband is add (self medicated).

Everytime I read one of the threads, I feel like I am looking into a mirror. A lot of the stories sound as though I could have actually written them.

You feel like you are the only one that is experiencing these add/adhd challenges but rest assured, you are definitely not.

Welcome!!

"If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."

- Einstein

Last edited by adhdxyz; 05-07-05 at 08:53 AM.. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-05, 11:28 AM
Ghost in the Machine

Thanked 2,073 Times in 579 Posts
Andrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond repute
Welcome to the forums!

To review the ADD Forums Guidelines, please click here.
Old 05-07-05, 10:25 PM

auntchris is a jewel in the roughauntchris is a jewel in the roughauntchris is a jewel in the rough
hi and welcome to the add forums. Good to see you here and geting to know other people. I went through life with being label as a problem child or the saying she is going thru a phase.

It make life harder on the child esp if that child is sensitive like I am. Now there are better ways to talk to children and teacher have more training in area's that were required in my day. You do have an advantage to the knowledge that is available to day on the computer and in libraries. ADD is not a closet disorder meaning it is widely talked about and not hush hush topic. When you go for teacher parent meeting at school, aske wquestions about his behaviour and let the conversation lead from there but have certain questions written on paper so you wont forget.
Well I just thought I would throw my words of wisdom in.

A child's mind is like a shallow brook which ripples and dances merrily over the stony course of its education and reflects here a flower, there a bush, yonder fleecy cloud... -Helen Keller

Old 05-07-05, 11:11 PM

Thanked 5,020 Times in 2,425 Posts
livinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond repute
hi and welcome, Daniel's Mom!

Leonard: “You’re using chocolates as positive reinforcement for what you consider good behavior!”
Sheldon: “Very good! Chocolate?”
-The Big Bang Theory (sitcom on CBS)
Old 05-09-05, 12:46 PM

clawless has disabled reputation
Hello and welcome to the forum

The best inheritance a person can give to his children is a few minutes of his time each day -- O. A. Battista
Old 06-15-05, 11:39 PM

Daniel'sMom is on a distinguished road
Thanks to all who welcomed me and offered their words of wisdom. This has been quite a frustrating time for my husband, myself, our older son and for Daniel as well. Right now, what we have done is added an increase in one of his medications as he has been having tics (an on going problem with his meds). We hope this will help because we have been blessed with such a smart and funny young man.