ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Inattentive ADD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Inattentive ADD A forum set aside for the the discussion of inattention and inattentive ADD

Old 01-02-13, 03:41 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,965 Times in 9,011 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ADHD; They can take their H and Shove it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by stef View Post
i think it would be harder to be hyperactive! not practical, what to you all do if you must sit through a class or a meeting?
I doubt that either one is "harder". Both have good and bad points.

One big difference is that a hyperactive child gets noticed and diagnosed more often, while an inattentive one might not. "Squeaky wheel" etc. It's no accident that I'm over 40 and recently diagnosed - I was a slow daydreamer who was easy to get along with.

But that same noticeability makes hyperactivity harder to hide in day-to-day life, so maybe a hyperactive person ends up more stigmatized.

And no two people are the same, nor do they live in the same situations - so even two people who have "exactly the same type of ADHD" will never turn out to have equal results anyway.
The Following User Says Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
stef (01-03-13)
Old 01-02-13, 06:34 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

mirandatoritess has disabled reputation

I think that ADHD is different in everyone and the usage is a general term that doesn't glorify the H part of it. Believe me the H in ADHD is not glorious in any way.
"Heaven has no free wi-fi? Screw this Iím going to hell"
"How do you know hell has wifi?"
"Satan owes me several favors"

Its a beautiful day....... I think I will skip my meds and stir things up a bit"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mirandatoritess For This Useful Post:
Nicksgonefishin (01-15-14), peripatetic (01-15-14)
Old 01-02-13, 09:12 PM

dougpoop is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flory View Post
not glorifying h there either...just get a little fed up of the 'pi and its so much harder' perspective :/....what nonsense
I don't know if some people are actually saying if it's harder, but it might be the lack of it being noticed? Eh, idk.

*this part isn't a reply - just felt like being specific about that xD*
Well ofc -PI is so much harder since we go undiagnosed and have a big risk of substance abuse and anxiety in the future because of this *sarcasm is sarcastic*

Actually though, even though there are always exceptions, I'd think -H/I could be picked up easier? Again, there's always exceptions. I know first hand though, that this (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attent..._ADHD_subtypes) is 99% exactly what happened to me for all of my life before a few months ago. My friends and family consider me excessively worried, especially for a teen... Also, being called "lazy" in second grade wasn't such a big deal - It's not like it really held any meaning. By 9th grade though - last year - I had been labeled this too many times that it just hurt too much. Yeah, I sat somewhat quietly in class and teachers thought I wasn't trying even though I was so I just started crying on my desk when they said I wasn't doing as well as I could've been. And they just sat there saying I was overreacting/looking for attention/being dramatic, but there are too many people who don't know how much that hurts... Eventually, it got to the point where my "imaginary friend" played w/ substances... After a period of "my imaginary friend" using substances to help control "his" symptoms and additional anxiety "he" gained over the years, I read that on wikipedia and realized this was why I was such a failure in life. I sorta left out "my friend" with my doctors as this might affect diagnosis and treatment... plus it was only for a short time... and this was "my imaginary friend" anyways... :)?

I mean, recently, I've not been trying to rub in the "I'm diagnosed, not using this as an excuse" (that some people seem to do - using ADHD as an excuse even though they don't have it)... well I never really rubbed it in, but my one teacher told me about how much better I was doing this year vs when I had him two years ago (literally a 100 average in math... it was 73 two years ago) and that I shouldn't take the "lazy" thing too seriously since I was "lazy" back then... My response:
"Well, I thought I was just terrible even though I tried, but then I found out that I've had ADD..." :D ... I mean, yeah, I'm mad at myself for missing the opportunity to get put in accelerated classes because of doing bad on placement tests and in school, generally, but I'm glad I can at least feel a bit relieved that it wasn't all my fault for looking like a "most likely to drop-out"
It seems hard to pick out in high school because EVERYONE is unmotivated (almost eveyrone, at least) but you could probably detect me because at least they were motivated to copy off of someone else... I just didn't have the attention span for that... BIG TIME LOLS

sometimes I think of it like AD-HD-TV... because you get lost in all of the detail... *it's unfunny and I'm aware*

Dx: ADHD-PI
Rx: Vyvanse 60mg x 1 (former: Vyvanse 40mg x 1; Adderall XR 20mg x 1; Adderall XR 10mg x 1)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dougpoop For This Useful Post:
Catdog (01-03-13), ginniebean (01-13-14), Lunacie (01-13-14)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-14, 11:26 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

mirandatoritess has disabled reputation

regardless of what kind of ADHD you have we are all in it together. No one type of ADHD is greater or anything. Just different types and problems.
"Heaven has no free wi-fi? Screw this Iím going to hell"
"How do you know hell has wifi?"
"Satan owes me several favors"

Its a beautiful day....... I think I will skip my meds and stir things up a bit"
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mirandatoritess For This Useful Post:
Abi (01-13-14), Corina86 (01-13-14), Hyperman87 (01-13-14), psychopathetic (01-13-14)
Old 01-12-14, 11:58 PM

Dolorem Ipsum is a glorious beacon of lightDolorem Ipsum is a glorious beacon of lightDolorem Ipsum is a glorious beacon of lightDolorem Ipsum is a glorious beacon of lightDolorem Ipsum is a glorious beacon of lightDolorem Ipsum is a glorious beacon of light

I'm not really bothered by the H. Medical disorders manifest differently in different people.

I can understand about people being frustrated by the lack of attention that the PI sub-type receives, but then given the average citizen's ignorance about ADHD in general, I think that is just part of a much larger problem.

On the other hand, if there's sufficient evidence to separate PI into a separate disorder, I'm fine with that too.

I just call it ADHD because that's what the doc who diagnosed me calls it.

So long as people know what I mean and I'm not using a term that is generally accepted as an insult (Eg using the n-word to describe an African American person), I'm not too bothered about quibbling over names.
Abi (01-13-14), psychopathetic (01-13-14)
Old 01-13-14, 01:49 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 21,929 Times in 7,991 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

There is little information on hyperactive women and inattentive men. If you're a hyperactive boy you hit the jackpot.

There is a lot of people who could be complaining.
The Following User Says Thank You to ginniebean For This Useful Post:
Abi (01-13-14)
Old 01-13-14, 02:28 AM

Dolorem Ipsum is a glorious beacon of lightDolorem Ipsum is a glorious beacon of lightDolorem Ipsum is a glorious beacon of lightDolorem Ipsum is a glorious beacon of lightDolorem Ipsum is a glorious beacon of lightDolorem Ipsum is a glorious beacon of light

I just have to say, every time I see it written "AD/HD", I think of this:

Highway to... Oh look a squirrel

I always kind of wanted one of those shirts, although I wouldn't be game to wear it outside. I'd hate people to think I was making fun of ADHDers in general, rather than my own quirks.

I... really do like squirrels. I saw one once in Vancouver and wouldn't shut up about it for days.
psychopathetic (01-13-14), Tulip7171 (01-17-14)
Old 01-13-14, 03:05 AM

Thanked 3,131 Times in 1,930 Posts
Daydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond repute

nobody ever called me hyper. pi all the waaayy

not to be confused in anyway with life of pi bleeh
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daydreamin22 For This Useful Post:
Dolorem Ipsum (01-13-14), psychopathetic (01-13-14)
Old 01-13-14, 07:10 AM

Thanked 7,909 Times in 4,072 Posts
fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute

Just remember, most of the stigma in children at least, is aimed at the H group.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fracturedstory For This Useful Post:
peripatetic (01-15-14), psychopathetic (01-13-14)
Old 01-13-14, 07:12 AM

Thanked 7,909 Times in 4,072 Posts
fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolorem Ipsum View Post
I just have to say, every time I see it written "AD/HD", I think of this:

Highway to... Oh look a squirrel

I always kind of wanted one of those shirts, although I wouldn't be game to wear it outside. I'd hate people to think I was making fun of ADHDers in general, rather than my own quirks.

I... really do like squirrels. I saw one once in Vancouver and wouldn't shut up about it for days.
I have the t-shirt without the squirrel part. I find it makes too much fun of us but I do get distracted by possums. No squirrels here. But possums are just the cootest little things, with their big eyes and little paws clambering through the trees.

The taxi driver didn't even blink when I pointed one out in the tree.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fracturedstory For This Useful Post:
Dolorem Ipsum (01-13-14), psychopathetic (01-13-14), Tulip7171 (01-17-14)
Old 01-13-14, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedstory View Post
I have the t-shirt without the squirrel part. I find it makes too much fun of us but I do get distracted by possums. No squirrels here. But possums are just the cootest little things, with their big eyes and little paws clambering through the trees.

The taxi driver didn't even blink when I pointed one out in the tree.
Yeah, furry animals in general do it for me. And geckos. And frogs. And echidnas.

I don't get to see many squirrels in real life either. Probably the reason I got so excited about it.
psychopathetic (01-13-14)
Old 01-13-14, 07:46 AM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 14,286 Times in 7,105 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolorem Ipsum View Post
Yeah, furry animals in general do it for me. And geckos. And frogs. And echidnas.

I don't get to see many squirrels in real life either. Probably the reason I got so excited about it.
Oh I LOVE frogs and toads and turtles! Especially toads!!
I'm kinda iffy about snakes. They scare me, but I have had a lot of fun catching them in my past! lol

I live in wyoming and we've got squirrels EVERYWHERE! Super cute!
We also have lots of chipmunks up in the mountains (not in town).

...and also...I had to google search what a echidnas was! lol...I like animals I can hug and kiss!

(((((((MOM)))))))
I'll always fondly remember.

The Following User Says Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
Dolorem Ipsum (01-13-14)
Old 01-13-14, 07:54 AM

I live in Australia. Even the cute furry animals are likely to savage you if you try to cuddle them.

Also, look at their little faces! Also, baby echidnas are called puggles. <3

Also, it's possible that I may have derailed this thread slightly.
psychopathetic (01-13-14), Tulip7171 (01-17-14)
Old 01-13-14, 09:44 AM

Thanked 2,926 Times in 1,352 Posts
Corina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it would be a good think for anyone if the science-community would give up using the term "hyperactive" altogether and make it sound about more science-y, even harder to pronounce. Maybe, just maybe, that will make some of the Daily Mail commenters realize that this disorder isn't really that simple, that it's not just about kids with more energy or who zone out a little more often than the others, since this is what the vast majority think of this disorder right now.

As for the debate whether hyperactives have it harder or easier than inattentives, that's really silly. The "easiness" of one's life depends on so many things, that I doubt any statistic or study could ever be of any relevance.

Oh, and I like birds, especially owls .
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Corina86 For This Useful Post:
Dolorem Ipsum (01-13-14), Tulip7171 (01-17-14)
Old 01-13-14, 11:34 AM

Thanked 25,391 Times in 11,798 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Who has it hard? The ones with comorbid disorders.

I have AD/HD\A\D ...

Attention Deficit / Hyperactivity Disorder \ Anxiety \ Depression.

But really, it depends on how impairing your symptoms are ... at any particular time.

I've had times when I was completely disabled by it, and times when I coped pretty well.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Abi (01-13-14), Tulip7171 (01-17-14)