ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Inattentive ADD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Inattentive ADD A forum set aside for the the discussion of inattention and inattentive ADD

Old 01-13-14, 11:44 AM
Registered

Thanked 17,744 Times in 8,895 Posts
Abi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ADHD; They can take their H and Shove it..

I agree with Luna.

THe comorbids are the killers like GAD and Bipolar

I hereby declare onedownmanship on the PI's and C's

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

"I think David Archuleta's picture is starting to annoy me." - BellaVita

"A glass of water is healthier than a glass of vodka - but you don't substitute one for the other." - aeon

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Abi For This Useful Post:
daveddd (01-14-14), Lunacie (01-13-14)
Old 01-13-14, 11:52 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 25,723 Times in 12,001 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abi View Post
I agree with Luna.

THe comorbids are the killers like GAD and Bipolar

I hereby declare onedownmanship on the PI's and C's

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha
"onedownmanship"

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Abi (01-13-14), daveddd (01-14-14)
Old 01-13-14, 11:53 AM

Thanked 2,926 Times in 1,352 Posts
Corina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond repute

Having depression was horrible. I still have anxiety, but I feel I can deal with it with medication and support. But when I had depression and I all though about was suicide... there was no going around that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Corina86 For This Useful Post:
Blinkett (01-14-14), Lunacie (01-13-14)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-14, 02:22 PM

Thanked 3,323 Times in 1,307 Posts
Tmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond repute

Never really thought about it until you mentioned it but you definately make a good point.

When I write it out, I always put AD(H)D. I really do feel for you guys because I always said that the hyper group gets the attention and treatment better and easier then the ADD types.

Being diagnosed at age 6 as severe AD(H)D, I was always thankful because a professional could spend 5 minutes with me as a kid and without a doubt know for sure there was definately something wrong with me.

I read so many posts on this forum where people can't get treatment, can't get validation, and I never thought I would say this, but I feel fortunate that I was so hyper becuase it helped to get me diagnosed and treated.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tmoney For This Useful Post:
Tulip7171 (01-17-14)
Old 01-13-14, 02:26 PM

Thanked 6,474 Times in 3,091 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

In my opinion, it should be:

ADD-PH
ADD-PI
ADD-C

Wouldn't that just make it so much more simple?

I also want to add that the reason I think it should be this way is because ADHD is "always" a deficit of attention. The only thing that makes us all different is the way that we respond to the same set of problems.

When some people lose focus, they simply lose focus and zone out. When other people lose focus, they jump to another task.

So it's the same problem, just with different reactions.

Last edited by Fraser_0762; 01-13-14 at 02:48 PM..
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
Corina86 (01-13-14), finallyfound10 (01-15-14), Fuzzy12 (01-14-14), Lunacie (01-13-14), Nicksgonefishin (01-15-14), psychopathetic (01-13-14)
Old 01-13-14, 05:43 PM

Thanked 21,933 Times in 7,991 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

I always have a sneaky suspicion these conversations are all about "I don't want to be associated with the stigmatized kind of adhd."

There are so many people here who self diagnose themselves as "PI" and yet spend a lot of time discussing their hyperactive and impulsive symptoms that somehow get turned around as something called inattention.

"I'm inattentive but I can't sit still"

I'm inattentive but I shop impulsively

I'm inattentive ... so I don't ever look at the other symptoms that screw up my life.

"they get all the attention (stigma)"

I don't want to be like them, so please tell me about my uniqueness please.

I can't find it.. those *******s don't care about us!!!
and on and on and on it goes..

The PI section here discusses lots of impulsive and hyperactive symptoms and still.. no recognition that they actually are hyperactive and impulsive symptoms.

amazing...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ginniebean For This Useful Post:
Diony (01-13-14), peripatetic (01-15-14), psychopathetic (01-13-14)
Old 01-13-14, 05:59 PM

Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

ginniebean, you're missing the point.

The point is that hyperactivity/impulsivity is a direct result of inattentiveness.

In other words, everybody is "combined" to some degree. It's just that some people naturally cope better with the hyperactivity/impulsivity better than others, despite suffering the same symptoms of inattention.

Hyperactivity and impulsivity are not "symptoms" as far as i'm concerned. They are a "result" of inattention. But not everybody responds to inattention in the same way, therefore many people don't show any obvious signs of hyperactivity or impulsivity.

Last edited by Fraser_0762; 01-13-14 at 06:10 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
daveddd (01-14-14)
Old 01-13-14, 06:19 PM

Thanked 21,933 Times in 7,991 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser_0762 View Post

The point is that hyperactivity/impulsivity is a direct result of inattentiveness.

NO, they are not. These are three very distinct symptoms. Yes, some people like to say they are all a result of inattivness because it helps fit their own theorizing better but you can impulsivity nd normal attiention span and you can have hyperactivity and normal attention span,

In psychiatry these symptoms are not found just in adhd. They are distinct.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ginniebean For This Useful Post:
Corina86 (01-14-14), daveddd (01-14-14), Flory (01-30-15), Fortune (01-13-14), peripatetic (01-15-14)
Old 01-13-14, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginniebean View Post
NO, they are not. These are three very distinct symptoms. Yes, some people like to say they are all a result of inattivness because it helps fit their own theorizing better but you can impulsivity nd normal attiention span and you can have hyperactivity and normal attention span,

In psychiatry these symptoms are not found just in adhd. They are distinct.
I disagree.

A person with ADHD can be "predominantly" hyperactive, but symptoms of inattention are still there.

You said yourself that those suffering from predominantly inattentive symptoms, all show some symptoms of hyperactivity/impulsivity. So surely the same rule would apply vice versa?

The hyperactivity from ADHD, isn't like the same kind of hyperactivity you would get from some sugar rush. It's something quite different. And is a result of a lowered attention span.
Old 01-13-14, 10:46 PM
I eat shades of red.

Thanked 22,202 Times in 9,398 Posts
Fortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond reputeFortune has a reputation beyond repute

I think you misunderstood Ginniebean's point.

A thing to keep in mind is that the majority of people with ADHD are combined type, or are diagnosable with PI-type but have 3-5 hyperactive/impulsive symptoms. I do not think there are many people who have 6+ inattentive symptoms and zero H/I symptoms.

PH type is basically a unicorn in terms of rarity. That is, they basically don't exist.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fortune For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (01-13-14)
Old 01-13-14, 11:13 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,014 Times in 632 Posts
janiew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud ofjaniew has much to be proud of

Take this H and shove it!
Aint talkin about it no more
It's a lame excuse for anxiety
With busy brain...
And there are meds for it...

Lol, think I lost the groove...
but nailed it otherwise...

daveddd (01-14-14)
Old 01-14-14, 05:46 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,954 Times in 14,768 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

In other words, everybody is "combined" to some degree. It's just that some people naturally cope better with the hyperactivity/impulsivity better than others

This is the same thing as telling a depressed person that everybody has problems and gets down sometimes, they should just "pick up their chin and grin and say (the sun while come out tomorrow, tomorrow.....)" (sorry annie reference.)

I carried a watermelon?
Old 01-14-14, 07:04 AM

Thanked 11,251 Times in 5,495 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser_0762 View Post

In other words, everybody is "combined" to some degree. It's just that some people naturally cope better with the hyperactivity/impulsivity better than others, despite suffering the same symptoms of inattention.

Hyperactivity and impulsivity are not "symptoms" as far as i'm concerned. They are a "result" of inattention. But not everybody responds to inattention in the same way, therefore many people don't show any obvious signs of hyperactivity or impulsivity.
no problem if this is your theory

but current accepted theories are exactly the opposite

inattention is a result of impulsiveness (self regulation)
ginniebean (01-15-14)
Old 01-14-14, 07:07 AM

daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

BTW i have it worse than all of you

I'm ADD-PI with a separate comorbid impulsive disorder , and a separate and distinct comorbid hyperactivity N.O.S, disorder
Fuzzy12 (01-14-14), ginniebean (01-14-14), Tulip7171 (01-17-14)
Old 01-14-14, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janiew View Post
Take this H and shove it!
Aint talkin about it no more
It's a lame excuse for anxiety
With busy brain...
And there are meds for it...

Lol, think I lost the groove...
but nailed it otherwise...

i always thought my anxiety disorders (the ones that didn't actually involve being anxious) were just a poor diagnostic label for my hyperactivity