ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Inattentive ADD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Inattentive ADD A forum set aside for the the discussion of inattention and inattentive ADD

Old 01-14-14, 09:31 AM
Jr Member

Blinkett is on a distinguished road
Re: ADHD; They can take their H and Shove it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repton View Post
I'm diagnosed ADHD-PI, but have blatant hyperactive tendencies!

The only thing I dislike is not the label itself, but the interpretation of the label by NT's. Often, and especially round here in the UK, people have been pulled into a media created stigma surrounding the term and what the diagnosis means, not to mention the "CONTROVERSY!!!!!!" of the meds..... *sigh*

If I could say to most people "Yeah, I was diagnosed with ADHD as an adult"

and they replied :

"Really? That's interesting! And the medication helps a lot? It must be great to finally have some insight and help with that!..."

I'd probably feel more comfortable with it all myself...

but instead you might get something like:

"Really? Is that the same as the thing they diagnose problem kids with? I thought ADHD was a made up illness created by big pharma to make us all subservient worker drones and sell more pills? Do you have to take that medication that makes you a zombie? What's it called... rittlin' ?? Is it not the same as coke? Oh my god do you get prescription cocaine from the doctor? Are you totally hyper without it? Does coffee make you sleepy? My friend says people with ADHD get sleepy when they drink coffee. Do the pills you take make your life like the film limitless?"

or :

"ADHD!!! LOL That's meant to be for kids, in fact I heard it's just made up... LOL"

-----

I'm predominantly inattentive but I did/do hyper stuff a lot before I got meds and if I skip them. I just have some strange ability to keep it private... until I was diagnosed I didn't know what the hell was going on with myself
^This. My separated husband believes it is a cop out, that I can control it if I concentrate hard enough. Riiight.. like you can control your asperger tantrums without your medication.
Old 01-14-14, 09:50 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 29,891 Times in 13,802 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repton View Post

but instead you might get something like:

"Really? Is that the same as the thing they diagnose problem kids with? I thought ADHD was a made up illness created by big pharma to make us all subservient worker drones and sell more pills? Do you have to take that medication that makes you a zombie? What's it called... rittlin' ?? Is it not the same as coke? Oh my god do you get prescription cocaine from the doctor? "

or :

"ADHD!!! LOL That's meant to be for kids, in fact I heard it's just made up... LOL"

-----

Just imagine how much fun it is when that is pretty much the reaction that you get from your GP....
Old 01-14-14, 11:46 PM

Thanked 3,868 Times in 1,992 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation

I don't like this idea of separating out the PIs from the Hypers.

Aren't the majority of us combos? So what, we now have another comorbid condition (PI and HD) besides the other comorbid conditions we have?

I thought all symptoms were due to our brains working too fast for our bodies (maybe I'm wrong about that though)? So if the cause is the same, why should the difference in symptoms mean a different disorder all together? Most diseases cause different types of symptoms in different people. But they're still classified as the same disease cause the root problem is still the same.
The Following User Says Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
stef (01-15-14)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-14, 12:57 AM

Thanked 33,860 Times in 15,314 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

**** it

minimal brain dysfunction for all!

hope that fixes your "h" problem x
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
Abi (01-16-14), daveddd (01-16-14), ginniebean (01-15-14), mirandatoritess (01-15-14), Rebelyell (01-15-14), tazoz (01-15-14), Tulip7171 (01-17-14)
Old 01-15-14, 01:13 AM

Thanked 1,912 Times in 958 Posts
Nicksgonefishin has a brilliant futureNicksgonefishin has a brilliant futureNicksgonefishin has a brilliant futureNicksgonefishin has a brilliant futureNicksgonefishin has a brilliant futureNicksgonefishin has a brilliant futureNicksgonefishin has a brilliant futureNicksgonefishin has a brilliant futureNicksgonefishin has a brilliant futureNicksgonefishin has a brilliant futureNicksgonefishin has a brilliant future

I don't like splitting up the sub types. We should present a unified front.

I have adhd but I'm pi (PRIMARILY innatentive)

PH would make more sense. AD/HD in dsm 5 clearly defines these while unifying us.

I'm glad there is hypers. Without them there would have never been psychs in classrooms to notice kids that were daydreamin.

We all have Executive function disintegration. Presentation is secondary.
Corina86 (01-15-14), InHisImage (01-31-14), Lunacie (01-15-14)
Old 01-15-14, 01:46 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

mirandatoritess has disabled reputation

there should not be a "more ADHD than thou" attitude. This kind of thinking leads to division within a community. Trust me I have seen this within the deaf community( deafer than thou). We need to stay unified to be strong and help each other with each other's ADHD.
"Heaven has no free wi-fi? Screw this Iím going to hell"
"How do you know hell has wifi?"
"Satan owes me several favors"

Its a beautiful day....... I think I will skip my meds and stir things up a bit"
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mirandatoritess For This Useful Post:
Daydreamin22 (01-15-14), Fuzzy12 (01-15-14), ginniebean (01-15-14), Lunacie (01-15-14), Nicksgonefishin (01-15-14), stef (01-15-14), Tulip7171 (01-17-14)
Old 01-15-14, 02:10 AM

Thanked 1,912 Times in 958 Posts
Nicksgonefishin has a brilliant futureNicksgonefishin has a brilliant futureNicksgonefishin has a brilliant futureNicksgonefishin has a brilliant futureNicksgonefishin has a brilliant futureNicksgonefishin has a brilliant futureNicksgonefishin has a brilliant futureNicksgonefishin has a brilliant futureNicksgonefishin has a brilliant futureNicksgonefishin has a brilliant futureNicksgonefishin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirandatoritess View Post
there should not be a "more ADHD than thou" attitude. This kind of thinking leads to division within a community. Trust me I have seen this within the deaf community( deafer than thou). We need to stay unified to be strong and help each other with each other's ADHD.
Dang! Great relational analogy!

Even though it is very very saddening.

Humans with a spectrum disorder that can cause linear thinking have difficulty understanding the concept of a spectrum.

A color spectrum is the best way to visualize the adhd spectrum.... That's an awesome idea! Color code the symptoms and traits and mix them together. Once mixed no one will have the same color but they will still be a color.

to color blind people consider all the shades of gray...
Tulip7171 (01-17-14)
Old 01-15-14, 02:24 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

mirandatoritess has disabled reputation

yeah there are deaf people who believe that you must be deaf from birth and have a deaf family to be "truly deaf" The deaf community is wonderful, but there are some people who are purists and believe that anything that is not what I said above is not "deaf". whether you are deaf, HOH, or deafened later in life, you are deaf no matter what.
"Heaven has no free wi-fi? Screw this Iím going to hell"
"How do you know hell has wifi?"
"Satan owes me several favors"

Its a beautiful day....... I think I will skip my meds and stir things up a bit"
The Following User Says Thank You to mirandatoritess For This Useful Post:
Nicksgonefishin (01-15-14)
Old 01-15-14, 06:57 AM

Thanked 11,251 Times in 5,495 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

an H would be a painful letter to shove anywhere

emotional dysregulation internalized=PI

emotional dysregulation externalized =H

both scenarios cause distraction and inability to concentrate on items not of interest (interest being an emotion)
Corina86 (01-15-14), InHisImage (01-31-14), Lunacie (01-15-14), Tulip7171 (01-17-14)
Old 01-15-14, 07:27 AM
Zen moderator

Thanked 26,910 Times in 13,071 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

I've only read the last page of this thread recently;
the title is beyond annoying! I totally agree with Mirand.; there should not be a "more ADHD than thou" attitude.
Old 01-15-14, 01:01 PM

Thanked 25,723 Times in 12,001 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicksgonefishin View Post
>

We all have Executive function disintegration. Presentation is secondary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveddd View Post
an H would be a painful letter to shove anywhere

emotional dysregulation internalized=PI

emotional dysregulation externalized =H

both scenarios cause distraction and inability to concentrate on items not of interest (interest being an emotion)
I think you guys have nailed it. Great explanations.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
daveddd (01-15-14), Nicksgonefishin (01-15-14)
Old 01-15-14, 05:53 PM

Thanked 3,132 Times in 1,930 Posts
Daydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond reputeDaydreamin22 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirandatoritess View Post
Definitely, I don't want to be divided. However, I don't think that researchers would leave us behind and give us a new disorder. We still have that problem same problem... attention.

attention: 1 notice taken of someone or something; the regarding of someone or something as interesting or important : he drew attention to three spelling mistakes | you've never paid that much attention to her opinions.

And we still can use the same medicines that help us focus.

Focus: the center of interest or activity : this generation has made the environment a focus of attention. An act of concentrating interest or activity on something

deficit: technical a deficiency or failing, esp. in a neurological or psychological function : deficits in speech comprehension. attention deficit
(we don't have enough notice/regard/ for something or someone. If we are destracted by a pencil dropping, our attention paying

Pay- give or bestow (we give something or attention because it is worthy somehow. (interesting, attracting, threatoning, educational etc...)

We hyperfocus when we
Hyperfocus is an intense form of mental concentration or visualization that focuses consciousness on a subject, topic, or task. In some individuals, some subjects or topics may also tend toward including daydreams, concepts, fiction, the imagination, and other objects of the mind. Hyperfocus on a certain subject can cause side-tracking away from assigned or important tasks.

OK, that could have kept going and going, I lost interest.

But anyway... back to the topic... yea, the H is misleading. It doesn't identify with our subtype's characteristics a far as I know.
Old 01-16-14, 01:37 AM
ADDvanced Member

liveandletdie is on a distinguished road

meh the hypers can keep the attention I surely don't what that
Old 01-16-14, 04:18 AM
Registered

Thanked 17,744 Times in 8,895 Posts
Abi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond reputeAbi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
**** it

minimal brain dysfunction for all!

hope that fixes your "h" problem x
brilliant

"I think David Archuleta's picture is starting to annoy me." - BellaVita

"A glass of water is healthier than a glass of vodka - but you don't substitute one for the other." - aeon

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Abi For This Useful Post:
daveddd (01-16-14), peripatetic (01-17-14)
Old 01-17-14, 10:09 AM

Adamboy is on a distinguished road

Interesting thread.

I think everybody on this spectrum should be united to fight it. It effects us all differently and I do not think that the magnitude of it's effect is more or less depending on what sub-type you are. It's effect will be completely unique to you.

I will say this in agreement with this poster though:

I am "Predominately Innatentive", although I would call myself "99% Innatentive", and it annoys me that there is less stigma and much more sympathy attached to the Hyperactive sub-type. It's understandable because their symptoms are much more noticeable and undeniable than us Innatentives.

It might sound insignificant but I can't emphasise greatly enough how this little difference in our experience with the outside world has affected me.

It has caused me such anxiety and unsureness about my condition. This is because I know fully well that my symptoms exist, they have crippled me for my entire life and torment me daily, yet no one else can see them. I have to justify my condition to people, some of whom have a natural disposition to doubt. This has caused me to doubt me own condition on a nearly daily basis. I just can't fully commit to the idea that I have ADHD-PI because other people put this doubt into my mind. I go from being fully sure I have it, to thinking I've actually got Chronic Depression, to thinking that I am just useless and need to 'pull myself together'(God I hate this advice, I'd have done this 10 years ago if it was that easy).

I know in my heart of hearts that I am different to most other people and that I struggle to do what they find natural, yet I lack the validation I seek, and that others would accept as fact.

That being said, there are surely aspects to having the H-sub type that is equally traumatic.