ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Inattentive ADD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Inattentive ADD A forum set aside for the the discussion of inattention and inattentive ADD

Old 01-17-14, 11:19 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 25,723 Times in 12,001 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ADHD; They can take their H and Shove it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamboy View Post
>
I am "Predominately Innatentive", although I would call myself "99% Innatentive", and it annoys me that there is less stigma and much more sympathy attached to the Hyperactive sub-type. It's understandable because their symptoms are much more noticeable and undeniable than us Innatentives.
>
It may be different in the UK but I don't see there being less stigma or more sympathy for ADD-H here.

Especially for females who show their hyperactivity in a different way, for instance, talking too much.

Rather than bouncing around the room as a child,
both my granddaughter and I were more often found swinging our legs,
bumping our feet against the furniture or the back of the car seat,
fiddling with our hair or clothing, tapping fingers or pencils on the desk,
and things of that sort.

Things that annoyed the others around us but didn't scream "She has ADHD."
If that makes sense?

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 01-28-14, 08:15 PM
Contributor

FroGpants is a name known to allFroGpants is a name known to allFroGpants is a name known to allFroGpants is a name known to allFroGpants is a name known to allFroGpants is a name known to allFroGpants is a name known to all

Having the H makes me feel like a 12 yr old. And it can be freaking embarrassing.

My bf is ADD. I wish I was more like him. I don't know why that seems more sophisticated to me. Like it's the mature version.
ADHD/Combined... dx'd at 42 Possibly Aspergers
The Following User Says Thank You to FroGpants For This Useful Post:
Corina86 (01-29-14)
Old 01-29-14, 09:29 AM

Thanked 2,926 Times in 1,352 Posts
Corina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FroGpants View Post
Having the H makes me feel like a 12 yr old. And it can be freaking embarrassing.

My bf is ADD. I wish I was more like him. I don't know why that seems more sophisticated to me. Like it's the mature version.
Yeah, I knew I was mature after all!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Corina86 For This Useful Post:
daveddd (01-29-14), Fuzzy12 (01-29-14), tazoz (01-29-14)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-14, 01:41 PM

Thanked 21,933 Times in 7,991 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamboy View Post
Interesting thread.

I think everybody on this spectrum should be united to fight it. It effects us all differently and I do not think that the magnitude of it's effect is more or less depending on what sub-type you are. It's effect will be completely unique to you.

I will say this in agreement with this poster though:

I am "Predominately Innatentive", although I would call myself "99% Innatentive", and it annoys me that there is less stigma and much more sympathy attached to the Hyperactive sub-type. It's understandable because their symptoms are much more noticeable and undeniable than us Innatentives.

You are probably right that there is more stigma surrounding PI as legitimate because it is the kind that is easier to fake. At the same time, I do need to correct your perception that there is more stigma. Combined types because of the hyperactive and impulsive symptoms cannot "pass" for normal and the stigma we receive stigma for our non passing behaviour. It's stigma that is personal and hurtful.

People avoid. Reject dislike, try and get you fired And even often succeed. The next time you see the weirdo at work who others gossip about. Think of this personal stigma many of us receive ongoing in our lives.

School teachers. When they are told a child is medicated for adhd treat the child different, are often hard on them. Resent them and dislike them and their treatment reflects this. This too is stigma.

Unfortunately, you get some stigma about your disorder. That is sad. But please consider there are many forms of stigma.

Quote:

It might sound insignificant but I can't emphasise greatly enough how this little difference in our experience with the outside world has affected me.

I know in my heart of hearts that I am different to most other people and that I struggle to do what they find natural, yet I lack the validation I seek, and that others would accept as fact.

That being said, there are surely aspects to having the H-sub type that is equally traumatic.
I think you may be underestimating just how much maligned this disorder is in full. All of us are subject to doubt. We're all sloppy, lazy. Pigs. Crazy. Stupid, etc... we don't avoid these labels they just start earlier. Our parents are bad parents you know.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ginniebean For This Useful Post:
Flory (01-30-15), Fortune (01-29-14)
Old 01-29-14, 01:52 PM

Thanked 6,474 Times in 3,091 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

I still stand with my point that the hyperactive symptoms stem from extreme inattentiveness.
Old 01-29-14, 05:50 PM

Thanked 2,926 Times in 1,352 Posts
Corina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser_0762 View Post
I still stand with my point that the hyperactive symptoms stem from extreme inattentiveness.
This topic sounds almost like a religious debate: if you can't prove I'm wrong, that means I'm right. Can't we just agree we don't know?