ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Primary & Secondary Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Primary & Secondary Education This forum is for parents to discuss issues related to their children's education and AD/HD.

Old 10-20-04, 09:32 AM
Jr Member

Kylersmom is on a distinguished road
Question My son Kyler (both gifted and ADHD)

Let me tell you about Kyler and tell me if this sounds normal. When he was 2 he was introduced to the computer. I cannot even get my 3 year old interested. He did all of the Reader Rabbits, etc, educational software. He is 6 now. He began reading in preschool. He is now in kindergarten. When he was being observed for his IEP, they tested him under the Weschler IQ program and he scored a 118, they said that he is very analytical. He is now the only child in his class in the AR (Accerlerated Reading) program. He is also being considered for the Alpha Class (gifted). I was talking to a parent helper whom he was very rude with, and she said that she didn't think he was paying attention to anything because of his behavorial issues at that moment. But she said when he settled down, he did the schoolwork correctly, learning from the other kids mistakes while he was acting up. He had a spelling homework assignment. He was to find a long "A" and short "a", glue the pictures to a piece of paper and spell them to the best of his ability. He chose Acorn and Apple. He spelled Acorn Akrn and Apple Apel. This is normally what the kindergartners are doing at the end of the school year and still doing in first grade.

Now Kyler is diagnosed as being Severe ADHD and also ODD. Does this sound normal to other parent's of ADHD kids?

Linda
Old 10-20-04, 09:57 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,331 Times in 1,335 Posts
Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute
I am not a parent, but I'm a "social worker" (technically under WV laws I am, heh) who has worked as a tutor and camp counselor at an afterschool program for 3 years, and have worked with a few ADHD/ODD kids. The behavior is pretty much typical. My kids are older, normally, but as I said, the behavior is more or less typical.
Old 10-20-04, 11:58 AM

Blondiex46 is on a distinguished road
is which part normal, The ADHD part, the ODD part or the spelling part? The spelling part is.
Old 10-20-04, 12:39 PM
Jr Member

Kylersmom is on a distinguished road
I guess I'm asking if all of it is, especially the inelligence part.
Old 10-20-04, 09:44 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

tamarama is on a distinguished road
The behavioral criteria for giftedness and ADHD are almost identical, so it's hard to tell sometimes if a child is ADHD, a gifted child who is also ADHD, or a gifted child who is simply bored. Giftedness and ADHD often walk hand-in-hand :-)

I wouldn't really worry much about the spelling -- it's not unusual in first and second graders, and he obviously understands the underlying concept (vowel sounds) and that's the important thing. A lot of very bright creative people struggle with spelling.