ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 03-24-17, 02:45 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 26,734 Times in 11,919 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Adderall has caused some scary side effects!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulate View Post
The doctor is a busy person, he has to factor in many things into a treatment. The attitude of the 4 y.o. child running to his mom crying because he did something bad is not something any doctor should have to deal with. He's an adult, he drugged his head and bared the consequences.

His doctor needs to know important things like hereditary illnesses, family history, blood test results, medication etc. He doesn't need to know what goes on in his household. That's his privacy. It's intimate and no one should know it.
I cant find the sources now but I used to have them. There is an actual link to people that have had actual psychosis related to speed or meth and people who fall prey to amphetamine psychosis from prescribed amphetamines. I forget the percentage and all that but basically people that have had that kind of psychosis are almost "oversensitive" or whatever to rx stimulants that have the possibility of psychosis. Amphetamine psychosis is just as scary as the kind from street drugs and it is 100% the doctors right and need to know.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Old 03-24-17, 02:49 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 26,734 Times in 11,919 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulate View Post
He can go to a rehab that provides absolute confidentiality if he ever needs help. His dignity and reputation is in play, and the cons of having a drug addict medical file is far worse than the risk of abusing his medication in the future.
In this instance we are not dealing with dignity and reputation, we are talking about psychosis which is truly terrifying and debilitating. If you have never experienced it, it is hard to understand. A one time binge on speed is not necessarily grounds for no stimulants from a doctor, but it can help keep the patient well monitored. I know people who have serious histories of drug abuse who sign contracts for controlled drugs that state they know they will be drug tested or in some cases have pill counts. This is so the patient can be prescribed stimulants or other controlled drugs but give the doctor a measure of safety and recourse to monitor them both legally and safely.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Old 03-25-17, 12:45 PM
Jr Member

mryashimoto23 is on a distinguished road

Oh man. I made a post earlier asking about the side effects of Adderall. Your' post gave me some insight. Thank you. Anyways I think I will stick to my vente starbucks coffee for now.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-17, 02:46 PM
ADDvanced Member

chronological has a spectacular aura aboutchronological has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnanimousUser View Post
So I have been taking adderall for about seven months now. (...stupid street drug incident deleted...naughty boy, don't do that again!...)
But my adderall is absolutely useless, so today I decided to double my dose and take 40mg of ER. Obviously that was not a brilliant idea, t...
No, doubling was silly although you're still well within "normal" ranges, assuming you're not a leprechaun or something, so I doubt your head will fall off.

Look, it seems pretty simple to me. You've been on it for over half a year and you've developed tolerance. Happened to me with Vyvanse; it's normal. You now have a few options, including:
  1. Up the dose (with doc's permission)
  2. Switch to something else (ditto)
  3. Stop completely for a while
I'd suggest you just go to the doc and say it's stopped working and that you'd like his/her advice on what to do next. Mention the above three if you like.

In my case, the decision was number 2. We didn't do 1 for two reasons. First, I was already on a relatively high dose. But more important, I just don't want to get into an arms race with my meds. If I'd pushed the dose up it probably would have fixed the problem -- but only for a while. Eventually my tolerance would have grown further, and then maybe I'd have had a harder time with discontinuing.

Finally, on whether to tell the doc about your street incident, or your doubling of your dose. I'm not going to give you advice either way, but I will say this. If you do tell him/her, he may be legally obliged to take note of that in your medical record, and he may also be legally or medical-ethically or similar obliged to stop prescribing you stimulant meds or any other meds of potential abuse. Don't double your dose again -- in fact, don't vary it at all unless you have doc's permission. And for heaven's sake stay away from street stuff. Idiot!
Old 03-25-17, 03:15 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,339 Times in 8,649 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mryashimoto23 View Post
Oh man. I made a post earlier asking about the side effects of Adderall. Your' post gave me some insight. Thank you. Anyways I think I will stick to my vente starbucks coffee for now.
The original poster's experience is not a common one. Don't go by his experience unless you believe his special individual circumstances are just like your own.
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.