ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-05, 01:07 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

RhapsodyInBlue has disabled reputation
Why the Adderall Concerns?

From my perspective, Canada must have withdrawn Adderall for a reason. What if "all" the reason was not exposed? Why are other countries starting to become hesitant about prescribing it?

Adderall is advertised as a "once a day drug". It isn't working out that way, as this forum proves. That is frightening.

Once upon a time Thalidomide was thought to be safe, and was safe enough to give to pregnant women. If many had stood up against that drug, how many people would have limbs today that Thalidomide took away?

It is not "stimulants" per se, that worry me, it is Adderall.

-Viktoria
Old 03-03-05, 01:14 AM

Lucid is on a distinguished road
Its the "unknown unknowns" that we are worried about.

In an ADD-induced flash of intuition by connecting two unrelated thoughts with logic only known to me (its 11:00pm and my meds have long since worn off) I realized that Donald Rumsfeld held the answer in one of his famous qoutes.

This realization made such an impact on me that I now use the quote as my signature.
as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the ones we don't know we don't know.
Old 03-03-05, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucid
Its the "unknown unknowns" that we are worried about.

In an ADD-induced flash of intuition by connecting two unrelated thoughts with logic only known to me (its 11:00pm and my meds have long since worn off) I realized that Donald Rumsfeld held the answer in one of his famous qoutes.

This realization made such an impact on me that I now use the quote as my signature.
Nicely put, Lucid.....and a very profound quote.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-05, 01:18 AM
ADDvanced Member

Mee is on a distinguished road
[/quote]
Quote:
(its 11:00pm and my meds have long since worn off
When you see these drugs quit working for people over time they need to keep introducing new ones . Adderall was approved by the Federal Drug Administration for ADHD in 1996 .. so it has not been that long ... [quote]The increasing cloud being cast over drugs like Adderall, which contain amphetamine, and the cumbersome process for prescribing controlled substances like these to children (not to mention the stigma associated with their use) may be enough to boost sales of alternative drugs that do not contain the same active ingredients and are not sold as similarly restricted substances.
Old 03-03-05, 01:23 AM

Do any of you think that the almighty $$$$ has any thing to do with this? I cannot help but think that the more dependant one becomes on a drug, then the more one needs----------the more one spends, and then multiply that by a populus that takes that drug.

$$$$ are in question as well, and the equation cannot be denied, so yes, more and more of these drugs will be made. Perhaps more dangerous ones? Or as Lucid has said in his quote, "the ones we don't know we don't know".
Old 03-03-05, 01:28 AM

Lucid is on a distinguished road
OK, in defense of Adderall - more is known about Amphetimines than just about any other psychosomatic drug.

But then again, we are still learning more and more about commonly used drugs. Caffeine when from hero to villian back to hero.
as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the ones we don't know we don't know.
Old 03-03-05, 01:32 AM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Scientists are accepting large sums of money from drug companies to put their names to articles endorsing new medicines that they have not written - a growing practice that some fear is putting scientific integrity in jeopardy.

Ghostwriting has become widespread in such areas of medicine as cardiology and psychiatry, where drugs play a major role in treatment. Senior doctors, inevitably very busy, have become willing to "author" papers written for them by ghostwriters paid by drug companies.
yea large sums of money from drug companies
Old 03-03-05, 01:36 AM

Which does "Shire" seem more concerned with in this article? People? Or money?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/s...429240,00.html
Old 03-03-05, 01:38 AM
ADDvanced Member

http://curezone.com/art/read.asp?ID=118&db=1&C0=1

so much for science
Old 03-03-05, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mee
Yes, I was already aware of this practice.......from the article you posted....this is what is so damning to science imo

Quote:
Scientists are accepting large sums of money from drug companies to put their names to articles endorsing new medicines that they have not written - a growing practice that some fear is putting scientific integrity in jeopardy.

Ghostwriting has become widespread in such areas of medicine as cardiology and psychiatry, where drugs play a major role in treatment. Senior doctors, inevitably very busy, have become willing to "author" papers written for them by ghostwriters paid by drug companies.

Originally, ghostwriting was confined to medical journal supplements sponsored by the industry, but it can now be found in all the major journals in relevant fields. In some cases, it is alleged, the scientists named as authors will not have seen the raw data they are writing about - just tables compiled by company employees.

The doctors, who may also give a talk based on the paper to an audience of other doctors at a drug company-sponsored symposium, receive substantial sums of money. Fuller Torrey, executive director of the Stanley Foundation Research Programmes in Bethesda, Maryland, found in a survey that British psychiatrists were being paid around $2,000 (1,400) a time for symposium talks, plus airfares and hotel accommodation, while Americans got about $3,000. Some payments ran as high as $5,000 or $10,000.

"Some of us believe that the present system is approaching a high-class form of professional prostitution," he said.
And we shouldn't be worried? I am concerned about taking "any" drug.
Old 03-03-05, 02:18 AM
Contributor

Chadwick has disabled reputation
As yet there are no studies on the long-term effects (read, years & decades) of stimulant use. Until we get those, then the known unknowns really concern me in regards to neurotoxicity of these substances even at prescribed doses.
Old 03-03-05, 02:40 AM
ADDvanced Member

Ancient Music has disabled reputation
I'm not a gambler and never will be, but.............I would lay money on it being a fact that the company making ADDERALL is currently, or has already, sourced some respected scientist to produce a report in the near future, that praises the product and attempts to diffuse/debunk the current safety concerns.

Given the multi millions of dollars per annum, of profit at stake,

...If I were a ruthless boad director then paying a "honaririum" of a million dollars to a high profile scientist for a glowing report about Adderall would be a very worthwhile investment and a small price to pay to ensure continued market access.

...after all..........what is a mere "million dollars" investment for a very favourable report, when your profit per annum is in multi millions and you stand to loose this. If you really think about this, it simply would be a wise business investment....

.......plus

There will already be eagle eyed legal companies willing to take on "multiple claims" from individuals eager to claim Adderall has effected their health irreversably and they are due compensation..........

Anybody here had adverse effects from ADDERALL?...........you could get a compensation payout? Think about it!.....

I bet the reports have already been commissioned.

Also,..I'll bet that in the near future some legal company will start advertising for people effected negatively by Adderall, to contact their company with a view to such a claim against the manufacturer.

Some smart legal firm is probably already doing a feasability study on the potential profitability of this "multiple compensation claim"............this forum would be an ideal place for them to observe the potential for gaining clients.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhapsodyInBlue
Which does "Shire" seem more concerned with in this article? People? Or money?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/s...429240,00.html
Old 03-03-05, 02:49 AM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Pharmaceutical companies spend more on marketing and promotion of drugs than on research and development - an estimated $15,000-$20,000 on every doctor with expenditures of $8.3 billion in the United States in 1998.
Joan E. Gadsby is author of "Addiction By Prescription",
President of Market-Media International Corp. and
Vice President of the Benzodiazepine Awareness Network
Old 03-03-05, 09:19 AM
ADDvanced Member

Daven is on a distinguished road
"Of the 20 reports of sudden death, 12 were in the USA from 1999 to 2003, a time frame when 30 million prescriptions were written for the medicine, according to the FDA advisory"

Lets see, thats a .000666 chance you will die. (actual its quite less, thats 20 out of the 30 million in the usa, its not including canada, so its actualy much less, i just dont feel like looking it all up =p) Thats quite a bit less of getting struck by lightning. This quote was found on a site supporting the ban, but the text seems to say something diffrent. More people are addicted and die from advil. There is NO reason for the ban, other than polotics and as already mentioned, money. I dont keep up with canadian polotics, but i do know that there was absolutly no reason for the ban. Actualy, there were reports that the majority of the people that died had heart conditions before the application of the medication.
Old 03-03-05, 10:26 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Gregster has a spectacular aura aboutGregster has a spectacular aura about
I wouldn't exactly call the web sites you link to an unbiased source of information. Quite the opposite.