ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 10-11-10, 04:09 PM

LONER5689 will become famous soon enough
What do you do to ease the crash of Adderall? Please share your remedies

Hello all,

This is my 1st post but I am no stranger to Adderall/Vyvanse... I used to unfortunately abuse Adderall but now have the willpower to take it as prescribed somewhat..

Currently I take 70mg Vyvanse in the morning and 20mg Adderall XR around 2PM. Vyvanse lasts 4-5 hours TOPS. The adderall at 20mg is enough to pull me through the rest of the workday...

I absolutely hate the crash and 'lull' you get for days after if you completely stop... I wish I can completely stop taking it but because of my job the withdrawal effects will be extremely too much for me to handle and good chance I will be fired...

I been reading alot that amphetamines tends to increase ADRENAL FATIGUE and I began to take Adrenal supplements, specifically for me Amphetastore. I am not sure if its just in my mind but the tolerance for me has NOT increased while supplementing with adrenal products...

Please take the time to share you way of combating the awful withdrawals of Adderall/Vyvanse and lets compare each other's remedies..

My remedies specifically

1) Fish oil (I mega dose between 15-25grams a day)
2) Full spectrum multi-vitamin (Animal Pak by Universal Nutrition)
3) Amphetarestore (3 pills 3x a day)
4) L-Tyrosine (1500-2000mg a day)
Old 10-11-10, 09:31 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Naussicaa has a spectacular aura aboutNaussicaa has a spectacular aura about
Re: What do you do to ease the crash of Adderall? Please share your remedies

Wow thats a lot of stuff.

The Tyrosine should alleviate the fatigue by itself. I just sleep on the crash. If I can't I can just push through it, its not really that bad unless you keep filling your mind with self defeating thoughts. Very easy to work through the crashes for me, I don't mind them and actually learned to enjoy the hopeless feelings. Coffee helps too.
Old 10-12-10, 10:33 AM

LONER5689 will become famous soon enough

Hi there,

I am glad you can push through it. How much Tyrosine do you take and what kind of dosages are you using of adderall ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naussicaa View Post
Wow thats a lot of stuff.

The Tyrosine should alleviate the fatigue by itself. I just sleep on the crash. If I can't I can just push through it, its not really that bad unless you keep filling your mind with self defeating thoughts. Very easy to work through the crashes for me, I don't mind them and actually learned to enjoy the hopeless feelings. Coffee helps too.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-10, 05:51 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

500mg L-Tyrosine. Thanks for reminding me, I forgot to take it today!

I take 10mg-20mg as needed. Dexedrine is also used as needed, but I always have it with my Adderall, maybe that helps the comedowns.

You might be taking it differently than me, I use the Adderall first, then the extended release stuff. Try it, it might be better for you.
Old 10-13-10, 01:58 AM

KeiraC is on a distinguished road

Lots and lots of coffee on holidays, otherwise I sleep all day. For me, on breaks sleeping all day has lasted for 3 days if I don't tone it down gradually.
Old 10-28-10, 10:30 AM

varsitymonsterr is on a distinguished road

I wrote this short guide to surviving the crash and panic symptoms cause by Adderall as a joke, yet when I read it, I realize that it's not all that funny.

I apologize for the long post, but here goes:

1. Smoke if blood pressure isn't too high. If you're trying to not freak out, smoking does not actually help. Smoking helps to focus your attention. Not focusing on how you're "feeling" is a fundamental principle of a smooth "crash" or "come-down." Smoking can be beneficial in alleviating restlessness due to excessive energy and the general dysphoria commonly experienced during a crash; however, don't smoke too many too fast: smoking cigarettes has been linked to panic attacks.
2. Change into Pajammas
3. Watch Tv OR
4. Play Chess, Mahjong, or Minesweeper on the computer
5. Drink Orange Juice (if nothing else, the psychological awareness of Vitamin C flushing out Amphetamines helps.)
6. Drink Nyquil OR
7. Take Benadryll if Nyquil isn't available. (Nyquil contains two ingredients with sedating properties, as opposed to Benadryll's one, uncomfortably sedating antihistamine.)
8. Listen to soothing music at low volumes.
9. The internet is certainly an excellent distraction.
10. If possible, study, study, study.
11. Reading is good, but only if it's a soothing topic. Avoid medical texts.
12. If available, a small dose of Melatonin may provoke a welcomed surge of sleepiness, though it may not be enough to effectively facilitate sleep.

Second Part:

1. Cold sensations in the extremities (and rarely other parts of the body) are normal.
2. As mentioned, reading medical texts, specifically those pertaining to overdose or heart attacks. Liberally applying diagnoses to yourself while your sympathetic nervous system is still actively affecting your body is a recipe for a panic attack.
3. Avoid caffeine, for you are trying to reduce psychostimulation. Caffeine, a stimulant, can intensify certain effects of Amphetamine. Also, avoid any medication with the word "day-time" in the title and any OTC medications containing active ingredients ending in "-ephrine."
4. Avoid antacids, as well as any strong base (e.g. milk). Antacids increase Adderall absorption, possibly leading to dangerously high serum levels in the blood. However, it should be noted that this effect primarily occurs (i.e. is most noticable) immediately after a dose is ingested.
5. Adderall, or amphetamine, is a powerful stimulant. A fraction of the active ingredients (the levo-amphetamine parts) is theorized to directly affect the neurotransmitter norepinephrine (noradrenaline), so Adderall, especially in high doses, is a powerful sympathomimetic. In other words, Adderall, specifically the levo-amphetamine parts, increases activity of the sympathetic nervous system, which greatly increases the often unpleasant phsyiological effects that lead to a panic attack.
6. Numbness and tingling (especially in the extremities), shortness of breath, chest pains, sweating, palpitations and accelerated heart rate, dizziness, faintness, nasuea, stomachaches, and chills are all symptoms of a panic attack. Do not mistake this for a heart attack or other serious complication.
7. A panic attack, or a marked increase of sympathetic activity, is horrifying but certainly not deadly.
8. A panic attack, or intense anxiety with phsyical symptoms, is much more common and more likely than a heart attack.
9. It is unfortunate, but should be noted, that panic attacks, as well as the expected physiological effects of Adderall, can mimic other, more serious conditions. These include: heart attacks, ischemia, stroke, and other serious medical problems, usually involving the heart, lungs, or brain.
10. Resting and drinking water is a safe bet in treating a crash with or without high-anxiety or an Adderall-induced panic attack.
11. Avoid strenuous exercise and physically demanding activities. These can increase the heart-rate and breathing, which could possibly be dangerous to an already accelerated heartbeat. Also, the accelerated heart rate is likely to worry you. Anxiously focusing on a rapid heart rate will likely increase anxiety, thus the heart rate increases.
12. Pleasant distractions (see above) are vitally important to a mostly stress-free crash. Any external stimuli that is loud, bright, violent, intense, or otherwise unpleasant can increase anxiety and is not reccommended.

Note: Though probably difficult while the blood vessels are constricted, masturbation has been recommended by males taking Adderall or other stimulants as a beneficial technique to reduce unwanted energy and encourage sleep. However, masturbation is only recommended if going to sleep is the primary concern. Masturbation, as well as intercourse, can increase heart rate and breathing, so neither masturbation or intercourse is recommended if calming the body's respiratory and cardiovascular reaction to the Levo-amphetamine in Adderall is of great concern. Waiting until your heart rate decreases and breathing becomes normal may reduce the likelihood of cardiovascular and respiratory complications that could arise from masturbation. Also, allowing the cardiovascular effects of Adderall to wear off completely or lessen can reduce vasoconstriction (thinned blood vessels), making it easier to obtain an erection. Masturbation has not been proven to be effective in alleviating any side-effect of Adderall, and its therapeutic use does not guarantee any results.

LOL at the masturbation part.

Sorry so long. I thought it was relevant enough to post.
411JONES (09-20-13), FroGpants (11-02-10), Naussicaa (10-30-10)
Old 10-28-10, 11:50 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 17,515 Times in 7,316 Posts
Amtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond repute

What I have found to be much more practical is taking two staggered doses of XR three hours apart. The first at about 6:30-7AM, the second at 9:30-10AM. My total was 60mg per day, but now I'm working down to 50, because I didn't really need more Adderall, I just needed a longer effect. The crash from the second 30mg pill doesn't start until around 7 or 8PM, and it's a lot less pronounced than the crash from a single 60mg pill was.

I'm sure this won't work for everyone, physically or financially, but it's what's working for me right now.
Old 10-30-10, 02:55 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by varsitymonsterr View Post
I wrote this short guide to surviving the crash and panic symptoms cause by Adderall as a joke, yet when I read it, I realize that it's not all that funny.

I apologize for the long post, but here goes:
Its not what I would suggest, but I didn't fare much better. I turned into a living ghost, a very funny, witty, bountiful-energy one, but a shadow of myself nonetheless. You deserve at least a thanks for putting it up there.

Against your suggestions, I would not use internet as one. You're gonna b refreshing pages too often, if you get my joke. It ended up being my main problem, I just procrastinated on PC whenever instead of doing my work.

I would agree with doing boring stupid stuff that will make you go to sleep and hate doing it. Dry library books are a great way to fall asleep, you learn something, until it is so stupid that you put it down and fall asleep. Medical texts are not exciting to everyone, so I would suggest reading something like that if you hate it.
Old 11-01-10, 02:21 PM

I understand how, well, addictive the internet can be, even when a user is not influenced by psychostimulants. But if your attention is on how fast your heart is beating or whatever, it can be an invaluable distraction.

Of course, if anxiety isn't overwhelming and simply going to sleep is your goal, then yes, the internet should be avoided, as well as the computer in general.

Like so many others with ADHD, I'm interested in the body and mind, so I enjoy reading medical texts. I was trying to point out that reading something that interests you, whatever that may be, is beneficial for the same reasons the internet is so helpful.

I was quick in assuming that most people read these kind of texts. I was meaning to emphasize that if medical textbooks are interesting to you, it should be acknowledged that during an episode of high anxiety, this kind of information (e.g. symptoms of a heart attack) can exploit the anxious mind's tendency to be hypochondriacal.

And again, those were all things that I found to be beneficial, and as we've noticed here, what works for me may not work for you.

Still, not freaking out when you feel your anxiety rising seems to be a universally good rule of thumb.

-John
chicka37 (05-17-11)
Old 11-23-10, 09:52 PM

ADDinSRQ is on a distinguished road

Did the ampheta restore stuff actually work or was it just a sham?
Old 11-26-10, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDinSRQ View Post
Did the ampheta restore stuff actually work or was it just a sham?
There's a thread about it. Search for it.

But to answer your question, Ampheta-restore, or whatever it's called, is a combination of vitamins and what-not. It would probably be safer and cheaper to pick and choose the supplements you need to help your tolerance. For example, I take B complex, Fish Oil, and L-tyrosine. That particular combination may not be beneficial to someone who already has adequate amounts of the vitamins. I'm a vegetarian, though.

As far as taking Ampheta-restore, or even other supplements, while one is still feeling Adderall's effects, I would warn to proceed with caution. Some supplements, like L-tyrosine, may be helpful during med vacations but are poorly tolerated during the "on" days.

again, search the forum. There are tons of user reviews of nearly every proposed supplement to be used while taking psychostimulants.

-John
Old 03-24-13, 03:15 PM

brainstruck is on a distinguished road

Hi! In the spirit of "better late than never," here's my response.

The short version:
I use propranolol (60 mg, usually), which is a beta blocker. Before, the crashes made me really anxious and/or depressed. Now, with propranolol, I'm just kind of pooped but I don't feel very anxious or depressed at all (thank Jeebus!). See below for details.

The longer version:
A few years ago, I started off with Adderall 20 mg tabs. The crashes were terrible; I'd get extremely anxious and depressed. I even thought I was having a heart attack once, which turned out to be a panic attack. (I normally have mild-to-moderate anxiety and don't have panic attacks, except occasionally in my sleep.) I eventually found out that ~10 mg Adderall is a better dose for me (kicks in within about 3045 minutes and lasts about 22.25 hours after that; I can take up to 20 mg in a day without screwing up my sleep too terribly at night, or up to 17.5 mg if I want to barely hurt my sleep at all). After my last dose has worn off (2.53 hours after I take it if 10 mg; 2 hours after I take it if 7.5 mg), I'll take 60 mg propranolol. In my experience, that kicks in within about 2030 minutes and wears off about 7090 minutes after that, so I'll usually take another 60 mg about 2 hours later. My "crashes" last about 34 hours, so two 60-mg doses of propranolol are usually enough to get me through the whole thing. I've tried a bunch of other stuff (L-theanine, 5-HTP, DHEA, SAM-e, citalopram, fish oil, etc.) and the only other thing that seemed to work was buspirone 5 mg, but I had to take it more often (every 90 minutes or so) and I'm not sure whether it was as effective, so I'd recommend the propranolol instead. The dosing might be tricky; 30 mg might be enough for me after a single 10-mg Adderall dose, but I might need 60 mg after two 10-mg Adderall doses back-to-back, for example (followed by a second dose of propranolol later, as mentioned above). I took 120 mg propranolol once, but it made me completely exhausted for a couple hours, so that was too much. Lastly, I'll briefly mention that my psychiatrist prescribed atenolol for the crashes once (another beta blocker), but my GP suggested propranolol instead on the grounds that it was considered safer (and my psychiatrist was fine with the switch). I've heard that propranolol might worsen asthma, though, so ask a doctor if that applies to you. Good luck!
Old 03-25-13, 03:57 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,559 Times in 13,428 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

more adderall.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
tambourine-man (03-25-13)
Old 03-28-13, 03:41 PM
Jr Member

Modulus is on a distinguished road

First 6 months on Adderall I drank a lot of coffee/energy drinks on days off. Felt pretty moody and sleepy most of the day. After about a year on Adderall (currently 25mg twice a day), I don't really have any issues on days off (except for focus and consentration lol). I take multivitamins and magnesium supplement.