ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 11-19-09, 04:02 AM

ryanbg is on a distinguished road
College student with some concerns

Hi everyone!
I am new to the forums. I am currently a college student at the University of North Dakota. I have been having problems ever since High School with concentrating on school work. I was diagnosed with ADD in 9th grade (about 5 years ago) and was on Adderall for a semester. It really helped with my grades, but at the end of the year I stopped taking it because I lost a lot of weight, and it made me feel like I was in a dream-like trance. I barely made it through High School, although I consider myself a bright person! I have been trying to eat healthy, get enough sleep, and be active, but I am coming to the conclusion that I need to treat my ADD once again. It's impossible for me to be motivated to do anything that doesn't interest me, it's impossible for me to sit down and do homework, my mind is racing all the time, and I can't pay attention in class. Life is very difficult academically for me. I was wondering if anyone has had a decent amount of success with medication in college and any helpful tips they could lend me. Another question, being 5 hours away from home, who would I go to these days for my concerns with my ADD?
Thanks!
Ryan
Old 11-19-09, 02:26 PM
ADDvanced Member

Henri J has a spectacular aura aboutHenri J has a spectacular aura about
Re: College student with some concerns

Hwy Ryan,
I am also a college student. I found assistance at psychological services. Counselors that work only with students on campus. We also have "Disability Access Services". Maybe your university does too. I would start with one of those two options.

Also, do you have a student health center? Your student fees probably pay for it. Check there too.

Good luck.

H
Old 11-19-09, 08:16 PM
Nondescript Moderator

Thanked 6,572 Times in 2,694 Posts
APSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanbg View Post
I was wondering if anyone has had a decent amount of success with medication in college and any helpful tips they could lend me.
Medication has always been critical to my ability to perform academically. I did reasonably well in college overall, but had serious problems when I tried to either get by without medication, or without taking it consistently.

If you find that medication is necessary for you to succeed in college, the only real suggestion I have is to make sure you take it, and take it consistently. This sounds obvious, but remembering to take medication at regular intervals, remembering to schedule doctor's appointments, remembering to attend them, and remembering to fill the prescriptions you get, at times seemed to me like too much work, particularly when I seemed to be doing OK. I forgot for a while that the fact that I was doing reasonably well didn't mean I was cured, just that the medication was working.

Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to APSJ For This Useful Post:
Sissaphus (11-20-09)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-09, 12:46 PM
Jr Member

ninjapirate is on a distinguished road

I can't do the meds, so I've learned to compensate other ways. The best advice I can give you is make good use of the library. I found when everything around you is incredibly boring, homework is a bit easier to be interested in. Also keeping an ipod handy to block out noise distractions helps a bit too. Once I figured that out college got a lot easier.
Old 11-22-09, 03:00 PM
ADDvanced Member

musicpainter will become famous soon enough

I just recently was diagnosed with ADD which could explain so many things in regards to school. So, since I've only been on medications for a few weeks and am only 3 days into one that is working, I don't know how much it is going to improve my schooling (I'm hopeful though!)

However, in regards to help on campus, the school I just transferred from had an amazing Health Center and it had so many resources. Not only are their psychological services considerably cheaper (it was $12 at this school for an appointment with a psychiatrist which is a steal compared to in the real world) but they also have group counseling sessions. I would check into what services your school has through their Health Center and you may find something. Sometimes the group counseling is nice because it helps you meet other people that are dealing with the same issue as you.