ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 07-26-14, 07:21 PM
Jr Member

theperson1 is on a distinguished road
ADD and Anxiety?

okay I'm 18 and just recently wanted to see If I have ADD. Anxiety runs on both sides of my family. I know I have anxiety as well. I went to see a psychiatrist and he said I had ADD and gave me 30mg Vyvanse.

After trying it out for two days this is what I noticed: when I went to study or go to school (I have night classes) it gave me intense focus (which made me feel relieved and made me happy to know I was actually listening.
* when I wasn't doing anything involving focus (like being at home) It made me wired. best way to explain it was it looked like I was on cocaine.

then I went to see a psychologist and she sat and listened to me for an hour,
she says I could have ADD and the vyvanse was more of an ADHD Med.

im not hyper in general, its just I can focus properly.

the psychologist wanted me to do a test, she wanted me to recommend my doctor Ritalin or Adderall.
she said if the Ritalin or the Adderall made me hyper then I don't have ADD and that theres an anxiety problem.

my doctor gave me 10mg Adderall XR (once a day)

the drug almost seemed perfect, it made focus a bit more and made me more mellow.

the Adderall XR just makes me talk a little more and after 2-3 hours of taking it it gives me anxiety for about 5 minutes then goes away.

so of course I was convinced that I had ADD since it didn't wire me up like the vyvanse.

also Adderall XR only lasts about 5 hours for me??

I need something that'll last all day and help me class.
I work typically 1-6 and start my classes 6-10

so I take it at 4pm to help me in school.

but of course I cant sleep without a Benzo.

ive taken Adderall XR for 3 days but today I took in the morning on an empty stomach because I was called last minute to work at 10am

when I got there it was hectic and my boss was being annoying.
the drug always makes me not want to eat. but when I was at work I was starving almost as if I hadn't eaten for days and gave me severe anxiety!

when I ate it helped, and the anxiety went away a bit, and when the drug comes down it gives me anxiety.
today at work with all that anxiety I didn't feel the Adderall XR not once! it felt like the anxiety over powered the Adderall XR.

my dad thinks I don't have ADD and that I have an anxiety problem.

I know I have anxiety but a doctor told me I can have BOTH.

PLEASE TELL ME WHAT YOU GUYS THINK!! ADD or Anxiety? Both? Different medication?

I am prescribed benzos for anxiety and it helps but not for concentration it makes concentrating worse! that's why I think I have both.

FEEDBACK APPRECIATED!!!!!
Old 07-27-14, 12:16 PM

PeopleWhoFly is on a distinguished road
Re: ADD and Anxiety?

I know from personal exp. that when I do not eat (protein) and deprive my body of being hydrated on ADD medication then it causes me to run on "fumes." For me I need to remember that energy comes from feeding the machine (my body) and the medication, while it seems energetic is actually functioning in a different manner and will inevitable cause anxieties when deprived of water, food and multi-days of no sleep.
Feed the machine
Old 07-28-14, 04:40 AM

immago will become famous soon enough

It's very common to have both ADD/ADHD and anxiety. In many cases anxiety is a symptom of ADD due to adversity caused by ADD.

If you're truly ad(h)d, then you've certainly had it since childhood and it was likely ADHD. Most people lose their physical hyper-activity by your age. Do you experience hyper mental activity? Always thinking? Or are you always seeking stimulating activities? Extreme sports, fast paced, or dangerous, careers? These questions can help you sort our your diagnosis a little more.

Anyway, if adderall helps you focus, and calms you down, then you have ADD. If it hypes you up like you're on crack then you're either not ADD, or you're taking too much. My first couple hours were somewhat amped up, and I felt a little 'high'. But that seemed to go away within just a couple hours, and I became very calm, relaxed, and focused. I wasn't hyper at all. If you can relate you likely have the same chemical processes in the brain that we refer to as AD/HD - or, at least, contribute to AD/HD.

I also have anxiety related to ADD. I've also felt with minor situational depression related to AD/HD.

With regard to Adderall causing anxiety, you can always talk to your doctor about taking a benzo alongside adderall, or something like Clonidine which treats anxiety, and ADD, and isn't a stimulant. Some people take Adderall, and Clonidine together.

Read through all of the symptoms of ADD on the forums and ask yourself whether they describe you. All the best.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-14, 10:13 AM
Jr Member

theperson1 is on a distinguished road

Okay that gives me a sense of relief. And yes i do have hyper mental activity A LOT. The Adderall calms me down and helps me focus and apart from the anxiety it only lasts about 4 hours and i need it for the entire day. I even take the XR. But thanks again for the advice
Old 07-28-14, 01:46 PM

immago will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by theperson1 View Post
Okay that gives me a sense of relief. And yes i do have hyper mental activity A LOT. The Adderall calms me down and helps me focus and apart from the anxiety it only lasts about 4 hours and i need it for the entire day. I even take the XR. But thanks again for the advice
The XR should release its second dose after 4 hours. It should be lasting at least 6 hours. If not, switch to Instant Release so that you can control your dosage.

For me 20 mg XR isn't enough, but last about 7 hours. Today I'm trying 30 mg.