ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-04, 02:59 PM

One on One is on a distinguished road
ADD or just anxiety?

I'm not so sure I have ADD or not. I do all the ADD things like forgetting things, misplacing stuff, etc, but the more I think about it, it's really just due to my anxiety. Like, I will forget where I park my car, but it is because I always have a million things running through my head when I get out of my car that I don't remember where I put it. I don't remember song lyrics because I am thinking of so much at once.

Hmm, now that I type it I guess the question is: Is ADD anxiety? Is this how you people feel or is there another reason you forget and misplace stuff? I think my problems are strictly due to anxiety. I am very socially anxious as well.
Old 09-11-04, 03:07 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

jaimegerise has disabled reputation
I don't know, but I know that my anxiety was DUE to ADD, not the other way around.....
Old 09-11-04, 03:33 PM
Forum ADDvocate

paulbf will become famous soon enough
I guess the question is what are you anxious about? Not an easy question perhaps.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-04, 05:12 AM

curious is on a distinguished road
I don't know either, but I do know that people with ADD usually do more than one thing at the time, and I know that with me at least, it's a lot of time the amount of thoughts that are in my mind, or doing something and thinking about something else at the same time. And sometimes it can lead to a sort of anxiety, because you always have things to do and you need to put them all in order and remember them all. I hope that helps.
Old 09-22-04, 03:27 AM
ADDvanced Member

pinkie is on a distinguished road
yeah, i was just wondering sort of the same thing. i'm sitting here feeling anxious and sort of unable to do any one thing because i have so much i need to do that it overwhelms me and i don't know where to start.

for instance, hubby just got in bed and i should be in bed with him since it's time to sleep and if i went to bed now i could actually get 8 hours, plus i need to give him some attention since i haven't seen him much today, but i don't want to sleep because i have things to do for school, but if i say up i won't get them done anyway because i'm too tired to focus, and they can wait anyway, so i should go to bed but once i get in bed i'll just lie there thinking about everything and not be able to sleep, and i can't stop thinking about some problems i'm having with our apartmentmates that don't make any sense and just arose out of nowhere and they're really making me unhappy, and i'm already stressing about the career fair on thursday because i need to find a job but i don't know what i want to do, and is my suit clean? and oh yeah i need to start studying for my 3 tests next week, and remember to mail these letters tomorrow, etc, etc...it's so overwhelming.

my brain doesn't stay on any one thought very long before it goes to the next thing and i just want to handle everything all at once, but it's an impossible task. and then i realize that i have eggs boiling on the stove, i was supposed to make hubby a sandwich an hour ago, and my clothes have been sitting in the dyer getting wrinkled for 2 hours. why can't i remember these things like other people do?

anxiety, ADD, insanity - what is it?

Time's fun when you're having flies.
- Kermit the Frog
Old 09-22-04, 09:03 AM

Thanked 3,331 Times in 1,335 Posts
Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute
I was just diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder - apparently, it's more likely that my anxiety caused my impulsiveness, because of an anxious desire to remove the cause of the anxiety, rather than the other way around. I think that that actually makes a lot more sense...

That said, Anxiety and ADD are very often co-morbid. It is possible that you have both. However, ADD itself doesn't cause symptoms of anxiety beyond general restlessness, so if you are having anxiety attacks, like that part sounds like you are, then it sounds more like an Anxiety Disorder than ADD...but that's what doctors are for: determining what that is. Make sure you mention it to your Doctor.
Old 09-22-04, 10:32 AM
Forum ADDvocate

paulbf will become famous soon enough
Pinkie, a lot of what you describe is familar to my procrastination habits.

Here's the way it works for me:
I have too many clever ideas & irrelevant tangents in my head so I follow those whims every which direction and thus avoid my bills & things that need to be done. Then the vicious cycle is rolling & I'm behind on things so I feel guilty & anxious as I look at the stack of chores & get overwhelmed, unable to chose. To avoid that nightmare I intentionally look for distractions I can hyperfocus on and indulge in so the intitial innocent wandering becomes fueled by intentional avoidance.

In reading your description, it seems you ought to be able to sleep if you just wrote down a list of things to do & scheduled them. My problem is I still won't do them. Making that list can be hard because things need to be prioritized but sometimes you can get help from someone else for just a minute to get that straight. Lists are sometimes fun to make, it's following through with them in a routine methodical way I have trouble with. Hmm, am I off topic yet?
Old 09-22-04, 11:48 AM

Neppy is on a distinguished road
Anxiety sucks, but when I worry about things they're always because I know I should've worked on them at the time, and so on. I also have to check, re-check and check again to make sure I have not forgotten anything, and I constantly have to look in my bag to make sure my housekeys are in there, even though I looked 10 minutes earlier. It's a constant nagging feeling, but it's also mixed with some guilt because I feel like I'm being lazy and wasting other peoples time. I got used to this a while ago though, and stopped worrying so much. I don't like to be anxious, so I choose to forget about what's making me anxious and focus on things that make me happy.

That may be echoing what somebody else has already said in this thread, but I don't know. I don't suffer from anxiety like some people, but I do get a little anxious alot of the time.
Old 09-22-04, 11:17 PM

One on One is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbf
Pinkie, a lot of what you describe is familar to my procrastination habits.

Here's the way it works for me:
I have too many clever ideas & irrelevant tangents in my head so I follow those whims every which direction and thus avoid my bills & things that need to be done. Then the vicious cycle is rolling & I'm behind on things so I feel guilty & anxious as I look at the stack of chores & get overwhelmed, unable to chose. To avoid that nightmare I intentionally look for distractions I can hyperfocus on and indulge in so the intitial innocent wandering becomes fueled by intentional avoidance.

In reading your description, it seems you ought to be able to sleep if you just wrote down a list of things to do & scheduled them. My problem is I still won't do them. Making that list can be hard because things need to be prioritized but sometimes you can get help from someone else for just a minute to get that straight. Lists are sometimes fun to make, it's following through with them in a routine methodical way I have trouble with. Hmm, am I off topic yet?

You two sound exactly like me. I'm trying to combat this by making lists and I usually do better when I have them, but I can't focus long enough to even make a list lately!!
Old 09-23-04, 01:42 AM
ADDvanced Member

pinkie is on a distinguished road
Yes, paul, I do the same thing with looking for distractions that become ways to intentionally avoid what I need to do. I am a big list-maker, but I've had one thing on my mental list for 4 months that I haven't done yet, so I haven't made any lists lately to avoid being "reminded" of that thing...even though it's constantly in the back of my mind.

Time's fun when you're having flies.
- Kermit the Frog
Old 01-09-10, 02:53 PM
Jr Member

chilidog is on a distinguished road
Re: ADD or just anxiety?

OMG okay, so these posts are my mind. I actually only knew I didn't write it b/c I didn't have a suit thing. I'm kidding, but not really, even the situation. Like, I know that none of the things i'm trying to figure out really are that big but like, "sleep? spend time with hubby? pay that bill? send that email? call someone back? oh im cold, i need a blanket.
okay by that point i've already forgotten that i even had a bill and i've gone to put on a laundry. it's so frustrating! but it's not that bad it's kind of funny, i just lose everything and i need to work on that. the really bad part is just feeling out of control in terms of "brain shut up!" and i want to just relax but my brain keeps going! and it's also frustrating if someone else is in the room - i share an office with three people and i can't get a thing done paperwork wise ever b/c i join in the conversation without meaning to. also if i'm talking to someone else with add it's fun b/c we follow our conversations, but i have to be so careful i dont' just talk and talk and talk b/c i can overwhelm people without even realizing it and then i realize i havent even gotten to my point yet but then i don't remember what the point was. its like i have this URGE to actually NEED to say when something comes into my mind! i can control it of course, like if i'm with my boss or something but i have to really work at it b/c i monopolize conversations by accident and i intrrupt people without even realizing it. and i'm so hypersensitive that i feel AWFUL about it and then start beating myself up b/c i don't want to come across as rude or overbearing or whatever. oh, but i digress. is this normal??? clearly not, but its refeshing to think that other people have thoughts all the time too! i mean i know that they do, but i still feel like other people don't b/c its not like i'm around add people all the time. but i digress again.
Old 01-09-10, 02:56 PM
Jr Member

chilidog is on a distinguished road

okay i'm replying to my own post, but i wanted to reply to the one above me... is there a way to do that? anyway, what i wanted to say was, i make lists, but i make so many lists that the list becomes the thing i do and i don't get to the thing. plus i lose the lists and then rewrite them all. i think i'm procrastinating unconsciously. but if i don't make the lists at all i will seriously not remember what i needed to do.
Old 01-10-10, 01:43 AM

Mincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to behold

Many people here most likely suffer from SA and GAD but chalk it up to ADHD, IMO.
Old 01-10-10, 01:52 AM
Contributor

lostmykeys is just really nicelostmykeys is just really nicelostmykeys is just really nicelostmykeys is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaimegerise View Post
I don't know, but I know that my anxiety was DUE to ADD, not the other way around.....
Me, too
Old 08-06-12, 01:14 AM

adbomb is on a distinguished road

I think it could be both: I sound like many of you except I get hyperfocus sometimes (obsessive) and then ADD ... but always so mild flow of anxiety even when everything was great in my life. I know my anxiety has been lifelong and may exacerbate the depression/add. So I am going to try to treat the anxiety with wellbutrin and a small dose of ativan along with lamictal()sp_? Because I am failing in school due to feeling overwhelmed constantly list or no list. I am trying to stay positive and do what I can and avoid getting down on myself. (Yes studying Psych I have found that most likely my anxiety has been lifelong due to an insufficient breaking in my cerebral cortex). But, I still think psychotherapy helps. Good luck everyone.