ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TEENS AND YOUNG ADULTS WITH ADD/ADHD > Homework & School
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Homework & School This forum is for teens with AD/HD talk about homework and other school related issues.

Old 05-19-06, 08:51 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 5,019 Times in 2,424 Posts
livinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond repute
12 Things ADHD High Schoolers want their Teachers to Know

12 Things High School Students w/ ADHD Would Like Their Teachers to Know

taken from:
http://add.about.com/cs/forteachers/a/12things.htm

**the list was complied from Teens w/ ADHD

1) I really do forget things, I am not trying to be smart, sassy or arrogant, I simply do not always remember. The myth that if it is important enough I will remember it is just that, a myth.

2) I am not stupid.,

3) I really do complete my homework. It is easy for me to lose papers, leave them at home and otherwise not be able to find my homework at the proper time. Completing homework in a notebook is much easier for me as it will not get lost as easily. Loose papers are difficult for me to keep track of. (Once my mother found my homework in the bread drawer after I had left for school!)

4) If I ask the same question over or ask many questions, it is not out of arrogance. I am trying hard to understand, comprehend and remember what you have said. Please be patient and help me.5) I want to do good. I have struggled with schoolwork for many years and it is frustrating to me. My goal is to do my best and pass this class with flying colors.

6) ADD is not an excuse. ADD really does exist and it does affect my thinking process. I would like to be "normal" and be able to remember and process information quickly, I do not enjoy being "different" and made fun of for my differences.

7) I need your help to succeed. It isn't always easy for me to ask for help and sometimes asking makes me feel stupid. Please be patient with my attempts and offer your help.

8) Please be sure to talk with me in private about behaviors or actions that may not be appropriate. Please do not humiliate me, insult me, or call attention to my weaknesses in front of the class.

9) I do better with a detailed plan and knowing what you expect. If you should change plans in the middle to adapt to some outside influence, please help me to adapt. It may take me longer to adjust to the changes. Structure and guidance are my best allies.

10) I don't like having "special accomodations." Please do not draw attention to them and help me to succeed with the least amount of attention drawn to my ADD.

11) Learn about ADD/ADHD. Read information and find out all you can on how kids with ADD learn and what can make it easier for them.

12) Always remember that I am a person with feelings, needs and goals. These are as important to me as yours are to you.

Leonard: “You’re using chocolates as positive reinforcement for what you consider good behavior!”
Sheldon: “Very good! Chocolate?”
-The Big Bang Theory (sitcom on CBS)
The Following 39 Users Say Thank You to livinginchaos For This Useful Post:
asiAchiever (10-19-16), beetle (01-19-17), Black Razor (03-15-09), Caco3girl (04-06-18), Camile713 (07-22-14), CastleBravo (05-03-12), ChickenGirl (11-07-10), clovislorax (07-08-12), confused357 (05-24-14), D3s0xyn (01-17-12), GoalieMel33 (04-10-12), InvitroCanibal (02-17-15), kalx14 (03-18-13), kittentail (08-29-09), kitty92 (08-16-11), Koric (11-01-09), kwalk (06-19-17), malik ahmed (11-09-12), manofscience (02-21-13), Massari (10-20-11), Michio (12-27-13), mmt78 (08-28-09), mommacass (05-20-11), Myaden (03-15-18), Nomenclature (08-20-11), noodlzzz (11-12-09), pooka (03-20-11), Scapegoat (02-10-10), Simenora (09-02-11), someothertime (07-18-15), SquarePeg (11-30-12), tillamook7 (08-30-15), Treebeard (02-17-11), Uuuh,noname? (05-23-11), x6eze (10-05-10), xraylady33 (08-28-09), ZehRed (06-09-14), Zephyranthes (02-04-14), ZSmith (07-23-11)
Old 05-20-06, 03:03 PM

dexter05 is on a distinguished road
Yeah I agree with number 8. I had a teacher who made an comment to about how I thought it would be a better use of class time to teach Spainish instead of lecturing the whole class for 20 minutes about how sleep is important. Granted I wasn't doing to well in that class at the time but I wanted to start doing better, and I wanted to learn at that point. Then she basically called me out in front of the class, basically saying I was an arrogent disrepectful ***** and that I was rude. Like my comment was not something I should of said, but she was the adult in the situation, and should asked me to talk to her after school or class. Something that I would of been completly willing to do. But she didn't and I lost all respect for her and her class at that moment. It happened three years ago and it still bugs me.

That was sorta just a rant.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dexter05 For This Useful Post:
circahasfallen (05-03-11), gemini-dreamer (11-28-12)
Old 05-22-06, 09:02 PM
ADDvanced Member

JimiS is on a distinguished road
Every teacher should have this in their wallet.. When I was young, I was pegged as a retard cause I am ADD.. I wish they knew then what they know now.. I could have went to a Ivy League college.. Ironic that I found out years later that I actually have a very very high IQ..

Oh well..

At least my son (who also has ADD as well as Aspergers) will have a fighting chance at a good life of whatever he chooses..
Like I tell him.. We are the next step in the evolution process.. Be proud of who you are and make this gift work for you and not against you.. He is going to be way smarter than me and is a wonderful boy..

I can't wait to pass the torch to him..

"All things good to know are difficult to learn"
Unknown

"Is this life over yet.. I heard there was a better one coming on soon.."
Jimi Spier
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JimiS For This Useful Post:
hs_sci_teacher (12-29-13), jayinhk (08-20-08), Kelly K 1314 (12-08-14), Uuuh,noname? (05-23-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-06, 10:46 AM
Contributor

Adamant1988 is on a distinguished road
I don't like having special accomodations for myself either but I will deal with it if it gets me to where I need to be. I use them sometimes out of courtesy of other students, if I'm being brash and impulsive it's in my best interest to let them get their work done, at least. No one else should have to fail school because I have ADD.
Old 06-03-06, 11:42 AM
Forum Guru

Paws13 has a spectacular aura aboutPaws13 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimiS
Every teacher should have this in their wallet..
Jimi, you are a true genious; not only should every teacher have this, but every boss, parent, and authority figure. What would also help is if everyone was inquired about these kinds of things like ADD, even if you don't have it or know anyone with it. It'd probably make the world a little nicer since it's one of the most commonly diagnosed problems in the world.

By the way, I can relate to #3; except I left it in the fridge once
Old 06-03-06, 12:12 PM
Contributor

Foot-in-mouth is on a distinguished road
How about "YES I really do study and do homework after school!"

I remember my Mom being told at parent teachers conference night that "Ian obviously does not study at home". Well my mother went off on that teacher because she helped me drill and practically home schooled me for 3-4 hrs a night EVERY night! I was a straight D student

:foot: :foot: :foot: :foot:

Warning, does not play well with others

persona non grata

Let me apologize in advance for what I say, my mouth has a mind of its own
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Foot-in-mouth For This Useful Post:
CastleBravo (05-03-12), hs_sci_teacher (12-29-13), SquarePeg (11-30-12), whatsthebuzz (09-13-11)
Old 06-08-06, 06:36 AM
Contributor

ADDitives is on a distinguished road
even though i know those things, it's easy to forget and i've copied the list into a word document, made it look presentable and i'm putting it in my "SAER" resource file. maybe other teachers and student teachers looking through my folder will see it and take note of it! people have a lot to learn, and people have a lot of preconceptions of adhd.

one fellow student teacher said to me 2 years ago "yeah add kids are so annoying, they just do it on purpose to annoy the teacher". you can imagine my possible reactions to that statement....

its like somebody choking to death, and you asking them "will you please die a little more quietly, im trying to read".

its the same principle.
not that we're dying;
but its just not right.
Old 06-08-06, 06:49 PM
Contributor

kvrrd has disabled reputation
I graduated from the University of Illinois in Engineering in the mid 1970's. I'm in California now. The Director of Development from UofI called me a few weeks ago to see if I would meet with him, when he came out here, to discuss how my life at school and afterwards faired, how I felt about the school, etc.
So I met him yesterday for lunch. No, I can' t donate right now....but it was more than that.
He's a baby - 27. I was so impressed with him.
His job is to get the alumni to give back to the students. WISE (women in something? engineering) is a program that allows alumni to mentor students. What a great idea.
But besides all that, I told him about this forum. About all the college students here that are brilliant and really struggling because they have no resources or help with basic organizational skills. This really caught his interest. I gave him the whole speal - inattentive ADDers are lost in the mix because they're not hyperactive. Adults whose potential is sitting untapped and underutilized.

Educators and administrators really need to know who their audiences are and how to satisfy their basic requirements. It's really up to us to be more proactive.
The Following User Says Thank You to kvrrd For This Useful Post:
malik ahmed (11-09-12)
Old 06-27-06, 10:56 AM

Thanked 1,450 Times in 1,165 Posts
~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold
Gee I wish I had that knowledge when I was at school...one look at my report cards should have set off alarm bells for everyone!!!

CHINESE PROVERB
The Following User Says Thank You to ~boots~ For This Useful Post:
teacher abc (02-12-10)
Old 07-18-06, 01:27 AM

VisualImagery is just really niceVisualImagery is just really niceVisualImagery is just really niceVisualImagery is just really nice
I gave a copy of this list to the principal's secretary to get it OK'd to put in mail boxes. It never showed up.

I also gave each student with ADD a copy of the Top 10 Benefits of having ADD. They loved it. I will now give a copy of the 12 Things along with the 10 Benefits to each kid. I also post copies in my room. My goal is to show all students that ADD is a difference, not a label.

Having ADD has allowed me to really build relationships with all my students. They know I care. Besides, they know when teachers have ADD. I miss the interaction with my students this summer, but really needed the sanity break.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to VisualImagery For This Useful Post:
casper (05-01-16), CastleBravo (05-03-12), malik ahmed (11-09-12), pooka (03-20-11), Uuuh,noname? (05-23-11)
Old 07-27-06, 11:49 AM

Thanked 5,019 Times in 2,424 Posts
livinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond repute
at least you tried, RADDmom. It sounds like you're an excellent teacher

Leonard: “You’re using chocolates as positive reinforcement for what you consider good behavior!”
Sheldon: “Very good! Chocolate?”
-The Big Bang Theory (sitcom on CBS)
Old 07-27-06, 11:55 AM

VisualImagery is just really niceVisualImagery is just really niceVisualImagery is just really niceVisualImagery is just really nice
Thanks Chaos, I think I was. I am looking for another job, this will keep me confident. I appreciate the time you took to encourage me.

RADD
Old 09-14-06, 05:26 PM
Contributor

JustNeedHelp will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by RADDmom
I gave a copy of this list to the principal's secretary to get it OK'd to put in mail boxes. It never showed up.

I also gave each student with ADD a copy of the Top 10 Benefits of having ADD. They loved it. I will now give a copy of the 12 Things along with the 10 Benefits to each kid. I also post copies in my room. My goal is to show all students that ADD is a difference, not a label.

Having ADD has allowed me to really build relationships with all my students. They know I care. Besides, they know when teachers have ADD. I miss the interaction with my students this summer, but really needed the sanity break.
RADDmom i would love to know where you got the list of 10 thing...? send me the link or .pdf, .do, .txt what ever works for you!

EDIt

and also thanks to original poster that mad me feel so... good reading that, you (or who ever wrote that) really did a good job! and also is the 10 things the same as the homework tips topic?
Old 09-14-06, 08:01 PM

It is at the beginning of this thread-just go back to post #1!
Old 09-19-06, 09:09 PM
Forum Guru

Paws13 has a spectacular aura aboutPaws13 has a spectacular aura about
I think JustNeedHelp was reffering to the 10 positives of ADD thing.

Can you tell me where it is too