ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > General Parenting Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Parenting Issues The purpose of this forum is to discuss general parenting issues related to children with AD/HD(ADD & ADHD)

Closed Thread

Old 11-30-17, 07:19 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,132 Times in 850 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation
What can primary caregivers do to accommodate ADHD temperament?

People who have ADHD usually need extra time, unless they have already semi-perfected what ever the skill set may be.

Primary caregivers are in the best position to accommodate that extra time needed, and also make sure that other family and community members also accommodate that extra time, when needed.

This thread is meant to explore things primary caregivers can do to help accommodate their children hypersensitive temperaments.

M
Old 12-01-17, 05:38 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,212 Times in 14,319 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What can primary caregivers do to accommodate ADHD temperament?

Love them. Always make them feel loved. Hug them and show them physical affection. Show them you've always got their back. Advocate for them. Offer support. Help them realize that even when the world seems like its crashing down, they've still got you.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Luvmybully (12-08-17), mildadhd (12-01-17), namazu (12-01-17)
Old 12-01-17, 09:23 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Caco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to all

What does extra time have to do with hypersensitive temperaments?

My kids need extra time because they get distracted by the TV, or that their shoelace has a spot on it, or they just saw the thing they have been looking for for a week.

I've drilled it into them to be a half hour early to everything. Sometimes it works out, sometimes they are right on time, but rarely are they late. I don't ask the world to accommodate them, THEY have to adapt to the world.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caco3girl For This Useful Post:
aeon (12-01-17), namazu (12-01-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-17, 11:49 AM

Thanked 25,391 Times in 11,798 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

The first thing, in my opinion, is to do some self reflection and see whether the
parents need diagnosis and treatment themselves.

If we are struggling ourselves it's very difficult to accommodate another person's
problems.

Then let your kids know you love them, don't give empty praise but do let them
know when you appreciate their efforts. All I remember hearing from my own
parents was negative judgment (Why do you ... Why can't you ...). Instead of
asking why they don't seem able to do things, work with them to figure out
how they can do things.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
aeon (12-01-17), Arthos (12-06-17), Luvmybully (12-08-17), mildadhd (12-05-17), namazu (12-01-17)
Old 12-01-17, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Love them. Always make them feel loved. Hug them and show them physical affection. Show them you've always got their back. Advocate for them. Offer support. Help them realize that even when the world seems like its crashing down, they've still got you.

Thanks so much.

M
Old 12-02-17, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caco3girl View Post
What does extra time have to do with hypersensitive temperaments?
Dopamine feels good.

Time flies when having fun.

Dopamine and Dopaminergic pathways of the SEEKING are involved in many brain functions including the perception of time.

Children born with a ADHD temperament have slightly less number and density dopamine neurones midbrain area.

Because we have slightly less dopamine neurones, we need a little more time to perceive things, and do things.

When I do not have the extra time, I get even more distressed.

Distressed feels bad.

If I know I have extra time, I do not get as distressed.

Time drags on even more, things takes even longer to perceive when a person who has slightly less dopamine receptors is not having fun.

Fun promotes the healthy development of positive feeling primary emotional response systems.

Not fun demotes development of positive primary emotional response systems, and promotes the development of negative feeling primary emotional systems.

M

Last edited by mildadhd; 12-02-17 at 12:50 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to mildadhd For This Useful Post:
Luvmybully (12-08-17)
Old 12-04-17, 08:51 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Caco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
Dopamine feels good.

Time flies when having fun.

Dopamine and Dopaminergic pathways of the SEEKING are involved in many brain functions including the perception of time.

Children born with a ADHD temperament have slightly less number and density dopamine neurones midbrain area.

Because we have slightly less dopamine neurones, we need a little more time to perceive things, and do things.

When I do not have the extra time, I get even more distressed.

Distressed feels bad.

If I know I have extra time, I do not get as distressed.

Time drags on even more, things takes even longer to perceive when a person who has slightly less dopamine receptors is not having fun.

Fun promotes the healthy development of positive feeling primary emotional response systems.

Not fun demotes development of positive primary emotional response systems, and promotes the development of negative feeling primary emotional systems.

M
ADHD is NOT a temperament.

The phrase hypersensitive temperament pertains to being overloaded by sound touch or smell, or even extreme allergies. So again, I don't understand what extra time has to do with hypersensitive temperaments and your explanation doesn't make a lot of sense as it pertains to the question.

I do not know what your background is but I am seeing a pattern of large and or complicated words that aren't making much sense when strung together. I am a scientist, as such, I read complicated journal articles as well as patents frequently. Leaving out words, getting catch phrases from the internet and/or using snippets of sentences that don't correlate with the other part of the sentence you are writing, does not make it sound more scientific it is just confusing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caco3girl For This Useful Post:
aeon (12-04-17), Little Missy (12-04-17)
Old 12-04-17, 12:33 PM

Thanked 25,391 Times in 11,798 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caco3girl View Post
ADHD is NOT a temperament.

The phrase hypersensitive temperament pertains to being overloaded by sound touch or smell, or even extreme allergies. So again, I don't understand what extra time has to do with hypersensitive temperaments and your explanation doesn't make a lot of sense as it pertains to the question.

I do not know what your background is but I am seeing a pattern of large and or complicated words that aren't making much sense when strung together. I am a scientist, as such, I read complicated journal articles as well as patents frequently. Leaving out words, getting catch phrases from the internet and/or using snippets of sentences that don't correlate with the other part of the sentence you are writing, does not make it sound more scientific it is just confusing.
I have done a web search for "hypersensitive temperament and adhd" and I
don't find anything in the way of scholarly articles.

All links on this seem to lead to Dr. Gabor Mate, who's ideas are not widely
accepted in the scientific community.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
aeon (12-04-17)
Old 12-04-17, 01:03 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 19,848 Times in 9,927 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

There have been many studies looking at temperament and ADHD.

These studies seem to support the idea that early childhood temperament* is a predictor of the development of ADHD -- but that it is not synonymous with ADHD. Not all children with ADHD had "reactive" (etc.) temperaments in early childhood, and not all children with "reactive" (etc.) temperaments in early childhood go on to develop ADHD.

So it's fair to say that ADHD is linked to temperament, but it isn't itself a single temperament.

mildadhd, are you asking how to support children with sensitive or reactive temperaments, or children with ADHD, or children with ADHD who also have sensitive/reactive temperaments?
Besides supervised free play, what else do you think works?

*(as measured by certain standardized criteria that are used widely, and/or defined differently by the researchers)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
aeon (12-04-17), Caco3girl (12-04-17), Luvmybully (12-08-17)
Old 12-05-17, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namazu View Post
There have been many studies looking at temperament and ADHD.

These studies seem to support the idea that early childhood temperament* is a predictor of the development of ADHD -- but that it is not synonymous with ADHD. Not all children with ADHD had "reactive" (etc.) temperaments in early childhood, and not all children with "reactive" (etc.) temperaments in early childhood go on to develop ADHD.

So it's fair to say that ADHD is linked to temperament, but it isn't itself a single temperament.

mildadhd, are you asking how to support children with sensitive or reactive temperaments, or children with ADHD, or children with ADHD who also have sensitive/reactive temperaments?
Besides supervised free play, what else do you think works?

*(as measured by certain standardized criteria that are used widely, and/or defined differently by the researchers)

If you start a new thread focusing specifically on these thread topics, I would be interested in discussing them more.

M
Old 12-05-17, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
I have done a web search for "hypersensitive temperament and adhd" and I
don't find anything in the way of scholarly articles.

All links on this seem to lead to Dr. Gabor Mate, who's ideas are not widely
accepted in the scientific community.

If you start a thread discussing specifically these thread topics I would be interested in discussing them more.

M
Old 12-05-17, 09:00 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If you start a new thread focusing specifically on these topics, I would be interested in discussing them more.
I was just hoping you would clarify what you wanted to discuss in this thread.
Is it what primary caregivers can do to accommodate young children with ADHD,
or young children with sensitive/reactive temperaments,
or young children with both hypersensitive temperaments and ADHD?

The title of the thread is confusing to me, because ADHD is not the same as a temperament -- at least, as I understand the terms.
Kids with different temperaments can have ADHD.

I think the general parenting advice of love your kids and be sensitive to their needs always applies (regardless of temperament or diagnosis or anything else).
But if you're looking to help kids with a particular type of temperament, the specific supports might [?] be a little different.

Also, while some kids do need extra time to do things, I don't understand how that connects to hypersensitive temperaments. Could you explain that a little more? Thanks!

Last edited by namazu; 12-05-17 at 09:25 PM..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
Arthos (12-06-17), Caco3girl (12-06-17), Lunacie (12-05-17), Luvmybully (12-08-17)
Old 12-05-17, 09:52 PM

Quote:
I was just hoping you would clarify what you wanted to discuss in this thread.
Is it what primary caregivers can do to accommodate young children with ADHD,
or young children with sensitive/reactive temperaments,
or both?

The title of the thread is confusing, because ADHD is not the same as a temperament. Kids with different temperaments can have ADHD.

I think the general parenting advice of love your kids and be sensitive to their needs (regardless of temperament) always applies.
But if you're looking to help kids with a particular type of temperaments, the specific supports might be a little different.
All humans are born with autonomic temperaments

More sensitive temperaments are more reactive temperaments.

People who have ADHD where born with a more sensitive autonomic temperament to autonomic distresses.

That is why distresses make things worse for us.

I agree that infants who inherit/born with a more sensitive temperament do not have ADHD, yet.

Because not all the dopaminergic impairments associated with ADHD are normally developed in any human before the age of 4-7*.

What can primary caregivers do to accommodate for a more emotionally sensitive temperament before the possibility of becoming a more sensitive temperament diagnosed with ADHD?

M

Last edited by mildadhd; 12-05-17 at 10:09 PM..
Old 12-05-17, 10:00 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Quote:
What can primary caregivers do to accommodate for the possiblity of a more emotional sensitive temperament becoming a ADHD temperament?
Am I understanding you correctly that you're wondering what primary caregivers can do to prevent young children with reactive/sensitive temperaments from developing ADHD?

EDIT: Based on your edits... ...Or are you just wondering how caregivers can accommodate young children with reactive/sensitive temperaments in general?

I'm still curious how giving extra time helps children with more sensitive temperaments. Could you explain?

Last edited by namazu; 12-05-17 at 10:15 PM..
Old 12-05-17, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Am I understanding you correctly that you're wondering what primary caregivers can do to prevent young children with reactive/sensitive temperaments from developing ADHD?
As much as would like to say “prevent”, prevention is to hard to prove.

Possibly reduce severity of ADHD and/or commorbidities, before diagnoses is a possibility.

M
Closed Thread