ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Old 03-22-17, 12:05 AM
Banned

Postulate is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Too many side effects?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthTeacher View Post
Your response makes me feel a little sick and gives me some mommy guilt I felt in my gut that he should not feel that way but I wasn't sure since this was his first time on this med. Thanks for your response...I will for sure mention those side effects to his doc.
That's not your fault, your doctor took your son's blood pressure before prescribing the medication and judged that there was room for an increase. You need to be literate with the following things:

Signs and symptoms of hypertensive crisis:
  • Chest pain
  • Arrhythmias
  • Headache
  • Epistaxis
  • Dyspnea
  • Faintness or vertigo (room spinning)
  • Severe anxiety
  • Agitation
  • Altered mental status
  • Paresthesias (tingling/numbness without cause)
  • Vomiting

Also the symptoms of Ritalin overdose:

The symptoms of a moderate acute overdose on methylphenidate primarily arise from central nervous system overstimulation; these symptoms include: vomiting, agitation, tremors, hyperreflexia, muscle twitching, euphoria, confusion, hallucinations, delirium, hyperthermia, sweating, flushing, headache, tachycardia, heart palpitations, cardiac arrhythmias, hypertension, mydriasis, and dryness of mucous membranes.[49][67]

Also the symptoms of Ritalin acute overdose:

A severe overdose may involve symptoms such as hyperpyrexia, sympathomimetic toxidrome, convulsions, paranoia, stereotypy (a repetitive movement disorder), rapid muscle breakdown, coma, and circulatory collapse.
Old 03-22-17, 08:06 AM
Contributor

Caco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of light

The poster said she stopped the meds on day 3.

I'm sure her doctor will try something different.
The Following User Says Thank You to Caco3girl For This Useful Post:
namazu (03-22-17)
Old 03-22-17, 01:07 PM
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator

Thanked 18,370 Times in 9,061 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

While I agree with Postulate that it's wise to be aware of the possible serious side effects, however rare, and to watch for them, I think it's also important not to panic unnecessarily. Stimulants (even the long-acting ones) leave the body fairly quickly. Side effects like those your son experienced are generally fleeting and entirely reversible once the medication has left his system.

There's always Mommy-guilt when our kids are feeling unwell, especially if it's in response to a medication we decided to give them. But it sounds as though you didn't come to the decision to give him medication lightly, at all. So presumably he was struggling in other ways before, and you were trying to help.

Most likely, this is a fixable problem. It may take some trial and error to find a medication and dose that works without causing side effects. But as long as you're working closely with your doctor to help your son, you're alert to possible side effects, you're not relying on medication alone to be a panacea, and you're listening carefully to your son's perspective, there's no reason to feel guilty. (...Not that a lack of reason means the guilt doesn't flow, anyway, alas!)

You might appreciate Sarahsweets' post (a sticky in this section) about her experience deciding to give her son medication for another perspective.
The Following User Says Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
Postulate (03-22-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-17, 03:52 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,241 Times in 13,247 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthTeacher View Post
Your response makes me feel a little sick and gives me some mommy guilt I felt in my gut that he should not feel that way but I wasn't sure since this was his first time on this med. Thanks for your response...I will for sure mention those side effects to his doc.
Your son WAS not high. He was either on the wrong dose or wrong med. He is what, 9? or did you say 11? He was not high. Saying he was high is a poor way to word that he was having side effects.
My feelings on concerta and other long acting meds are...when they work its awesome but when they dont BOY do you know it. My gut instinct was to tell you that maybe the lowest dose of instant release ritalin (5mg) would be good for him. This way even if he has bad side effects, the IR meds are out of your system in 4 hours so he wouldnt have to suffer hours more while waiting for the meds to wear off. I have a pet peeve with doctors who start a kid out on extended release meds, It bugs me. I say start out with the type of med you want, in the lowest, quickest dose and go from there. JMO.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Old 03-24-17, 09:02 AM
Contributor

Caco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Your son WAS not high. He was either on the wrong dose or wrong med. He is what, 9? or did you say 11? He was not high. Saying he was high is a poor way to word that he was having side effects.
My feelings on concerta and other long acting meds are...when they work its awesome but when they dont BOY do you know it. My gut instinct was to tell you that maybe the lowest dose of instant release ritalin (5mg) would be good for him. This way even if he has bad side effects, the IR meds are out of your system in 4 hours so he wouldnt have to suffer hours more while waiting for the meds to wear off. I have a pet peeve with doctors who start a kid out on extended release meds, It bugs me. I say start out with the type of med you want, in the lowest, quickest dose and go from there. JMO.
I had this exact talk with my sons doctor and asked her why she started out with XR. She said she always starts off with the XR for three reasons:

1. They are less likely to be addictive than the immediate release medicine.
2. The kids don't have to dose at school which can be problematic, i.e. parents have to get medicine there (kids can't bring it), children have to remember to go take it, having a controlled substance at school...etc.
3. The child has a better chance of sleeping at night if there is one dose given in the morning, rather than multiple doses given throughout the day.
Old 03-24-17, 09:14 AM
Mod-A-holic

sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with you completely and I should have clarified: I feel that the very first time a child takes a medication IMO starting out with an instant release at a lower dose makes sense. Once you determine the child can handle the med, it makes complete sense to work towards the XR versions like you mentioned. I just dont see the point in starting right out of the gate with something long acting before you even know it works. Im a huge fan of xr meds and I think they are best for most long term management of adhd-at least for me they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caco3girl View Post
I had this exact talk with my sons doctor and asked her why she started out with XR. She said she always starts off with the XR for three reasons:

1. They are less likely to be addictive than the immediate release medicine.
2. The kids don't have to dose at school which can be problematic, i.e. parents have to get medicine there (kids can't bring it), children have to remember to go take it, having a controlled substance at school...etc.
3. The child has a better chance of sleeping at night if there is one dose given in the morning, rather than multiple doses given throughout the day.

I carried a watermelon?

Old 03-24-17, 12:44 PM
Banned

Postulate is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
I agree with you completely and I should have clarified: I feel that the very first time a child takes a medication IMO starting out with an instant release at a lower dose makes sense. Once you determine the child can handle the med, it makes complete sense to work towards the XR versions like you mentioned. I just dont see the point in starting right out of the gate with something long acting before you even know it works. Im a huge fan of xr meds and I think they are best for most long term management of adhd-at least for me they are.
That's not true because the only time when it is recommended to begin treatment with an IR version is when the child is epileptic. And that's because if the first peak triggers epilepsy, you don't want a second peak to follow. In all other cases, it is recommended to start with an XR and the doctor was right.

You have to look at the symptoms and see if they match CNS overstimulation. If so, it means, he took too much.

It's no big deal, at the beginning it's a trial and error.

Last edited by namazu; 03-24-17 at 12:58 PM.. Reason: etiquette
Old 03-24-17, 03:24 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulate View Post
That's not true because the only time when it is recommended to begin treatment with an IR version is when the child is epileptic. And that's because if the first peak triggers epilepsy, you don't want a second peak to follow. In all other cases, it is recommended to start with an XR and the doctor was right.

You have to look at the symptoms and see if they match CNS overstimulation. If so, it means, he took too much.

That is a sentence I can agree with 100%!
Old 03-25-17, 03:11 AM
Mod-A-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulate View Post

I dont know if I was clear but I should have said IME I think the IR should be tried first in a child taking meds for the first time.

I carried a watermelon?

Old 03-25-17, 08:26 PM

Sylvan is on a distinguished road

I know this post is a few days old now, but just to add some support: each time my son started a new medication or new dose of the same medication, we would notice an intense 'come on', while he acclimatized to the medication. This would start about an hour after taking the medication and would last about a week... excessive talking was the main thing we noticed. Yes, as though he was 'high'. As I mentioned though, this would subside as he became accustomed to the new dose or new med. Do not feel guilty. You are trying everything you can to help your child and medication can be very beneficial once you find the right med / right dose.