ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-19, 04:20 AM
Jr Member

Clavius78 is on a distinguished road
Talking One tracked mind

So, I've been diagnosed with a light form of autism and ADD-PI at 40 years of age. And I get these episodes where I can literally think only about one thing. Sometimes it's my work and sometimes one of my hobbies. Now it's this new super-fun thing that I've discovered:

We have a very large tiled garden which we decorated with seven large wooden planters a few years ago. (1 x 0,5 x 0,5 meters.) My wife wanted to add two, and replace two. So four in total. Only to discover that this design went out of style some time back. We dislike that. We will have to replace them all with new ones, or accept that some are different. If we buy them from the store it costs a lot and we know the wood will just rot again.

So I decided to make one mold and cast them myself out of concrete. Concrete costs almost nothing. I did a test on a smaller model and it's beautiful. I'm really proud of how professional it looks and my wife (and myself) can't wait until I do all 9 in the large scale size.

"Can't wait" is to be taken quite literally. It's an enthusiastic feeling, but eventually not a very positive one. I can't think about anything else. I know I have to work and have other more important things to do first, but my mind only thinks about completing this project. Even now while I'm in the office. I can't shut it off. It's so bad, I can't put my full mind at anything until this new thing is out of the way.

This is also a AD(H)D-thing, right? How do you guys deal with such episodes?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clavius78 For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (05-01-19), PoppnNSailinMan (05-01-19)
Old 04-29-19, 07:42 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 14,735 Times in 6,569 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: One tracked mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clavius78 View Post
This is also a AD(H)D-thing, right?
Not necessarily. Consider that whereas perseveration of this kind can occur as part of ADHD presentation, it is a primary presentation of disorders of the autism spectrum.

Cheers,
Ian
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (05-07-19), Clavius78 (04-29-19)
Old 04-29-19, 07:50 AM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeon View Post
Not necessarily. Consider that whereas perseveration of this kind can occur as part of ADHD presentation, it is a primary presentation of disorders of the autism spectrum.

Cheers,
Ian
Thanks Ian, on the autism forum, of which I'm a member too, they point towards ADD. LOL!
20thcenturyfox (05-01-19), aeon (04-29-19)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-19, 10:26 AM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 21,226 Times in 10,714 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Jumping into projects somewhat impulsively can be very much an ADHD thing.

It's not something I've really got a handle on, myself... I've found some work-arounds for impulsive Craigslist/eBay purchases related to projects, but there are so many potential projects and so many ways to get sidetracked!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (05-01-19)
Old 04-30-19, 06:00 PM
Contributor

userguide is a jewel in the roughuserguide is a jewel in the roughuserguide is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Thanks Ian, on the autism forum, of which I'm a member too, they point towards ADD. LOL!
I have never considered myself autistic, and what you described is a curse of mine. A little excitement can stick around in my head for days, like an angry cat, disturbing every effort to focus on important things.
Old 05-01-19, 03:38 AM

PoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud of

Quote:
"Can't wait" is to be taken quite literally. It's an enthusiastic feeling, but eventually not a very positive one. I can't think about anything else. I know I have to work and have other more important things to do first, but my mind only thinks about completing this project. Even now while I'm in the office. I can't shut it off. It's so bad, I can't put my full mind at anything until this new thing is out of the way.

I do this kind of thing a lot myself. I've got a hobby of my own and for a while now, I've been spending every free minute I have on it and thinking about it when I should be doing other things. One especially bad part about this is that I often have a difficult time just letting it go and going to bed at night. There's nothing urgent about it and it will keep until the next day. And even though I tell myself all the time that I'm going to start going to bed at a more reasonable time, I still stay up way later than I should. I frequently find myself staying up until 1:00 or 2:00 or even later in the morning sometimes.

And during the day, I sometimes think how nice it would be to just relax and watch TV or do something else for a while.

And then the odd part is that with many of my hobbies, I'll just discover one day that I'm not interested in it any more and will move on to something else and hardly ever think any more about this thing that used to consume me. Sometimes my interest will be sparked again, but it might be in a few years or it might be in ten years.
Bart Simpson (to the tune of “I'm Popeye the Sailor Man”): “When I can’t stop my fiddlin’, I just takes me Ritalin, I’m poppin’ and sailin’, man!” (“Brother’s Little Helper,” Season 11, episode 2, aired 10/3/99)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PoppnNSailinMan For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (05-07-19), Clavius78 (05-09-19)
Old 05-01-19, 06:13 AM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppnNSailinMan View Post
And then the odd part is that with many of my hobbies, I'll just discover one day that I'm not interested in it any more and will move on to something else and hardly ever think any more about this thing that used to consume me. Sometimes my interest will be sparked again, but it might be in a few years or it might be in ten years.
This^

I seem to have very little control over it. It's all or nothing. I suddenly get bored with something that was of utmost importance to me the day before like at the flick of a switch.

So I guess there really is no way of dealing with this? (Without medication.)

I heard yesterday from another ADD-PI sufferer, at the mental health care center that diagnosed me, that dexamphetamines enabled her to channel her interests again. Much like in the same way it enables her to focus her concentration. Can anyone confirm that? Because if that's the case then I know what I'm going to beg for. Currently I'm on wellbutrin.

Another fun example:
Some time ago I was into photography. For years! It was really very serious. I did some professional shooting and was good at it too. It even generated a lot of extra money. But then the passion just disappeared into thin air. I have my own photo-studio at home, filled with professional camera equipment, representing a huge investment. A guilty feeling often makes me try to rekindle that interest. Forcing myself to take up old projects again. But nothing.
20thcenturyfox (05-07-19), PoppnNSailinMan (05-02-19)
Old 05-03-19, 04:35 PM

EnergonWaffles is on a distinguished road

I have this, and always have. But I have never been diagnosed as being on the autism spectrum in any way.

Sounds like you might be describing an intense form of hyper-focusing. It's like my mind gets on a project and everything else goes out the window. I could sit and work on that project, completely obsessed with it, for hours upon hours. And then, just as quickly, the interest will fade and a new obsession will take it's place.

As Ive grown older it's not an issue because I've learned to ignore it as best as I can. But yeah, can relate.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EnergonWaffles For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (05-07-19), Clavius78 (05-04-19)
Old 05-06-19, 11:26 AM

Urobouros is on a distinguished road

I'm right there with you!! It's great when it's something I need to get done but that's frustratingly rare. I can usually get back on task but it's hard to let it go
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Urobouros For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (05-07-19), Clavius78 (05-09-19), PoppnNSailinMan (05-15-19)
Old 05-08-19, 06:07 AM
Jr Member

I only have one single example of when it was really very useful:

A few years back my wife was confronted with burnout symptoms, high social anxiety, she couldn't work anymore and had to call in sick. She was incorrectly diagnosed with a psychiatric disorder. After 3 years of therapy and antidepressants we began to get this feeling that this wasn't mental, but may be physical.

Then it became my obsession. For months I researched online, noted all details down. I observed and recorded her ups and downs, her food, her physical training, her sleep pattern, even her menstrual cycle. It consumed every waking moment of my life. Her cycle was the key. None of the doctors had noted that her ups and downs matched her cycle like clockwork, because her cycle was irregular.

Long story short, I built a case and presented it to her doctor. She concluded that it could be an extreme case of PMS called PMDD. A IUD was placed to stabilize her swinging hormones and my wife has now been trouble-free since then for over two years! She resumed work and returned to being my strong-willed, stubborn wife again.

So, that's the only case for me where it was a blessing. In 99,9% of the other cases the hyper focus is a nuisance.

Since my opening post I've been trialing dexamphetamines. They really do help me take control of my focus! I should have had this stuff earlier in life, it makes me feel so calm and in control! But then again, my wife would then still have been a wreck.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Clavius78 For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (05-09-19), aeon (05-08-19), namazu (05-08-19), PoppnNSailinMan (05-15-19)
Old 05-16-19, 03:10 AM

PoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud of

Quote:
Since my opening post I've been trialing dexamphetamines. They really do help me take control of my focus! I should have had this stuff earlier in life, it makes me feel so calm and in control!
I'm glad that your meds are working so well for you. I'm taking Vyvanse and it has made a huge difference in my life, especially in my driving and in my ability to stay engaged with and complete things that I start. I used to quickly lose interest even in things that once fascinated me. Completing books was always difficult for me. Since I started taking medication for my ADHD about a year and a half ago, I've been much more successful at sticking with things that I start, at finishing books, etc. I'm much better at not taking conversations off on some obscure tangent or interrupting people when they're speaking to me. But one of the things that the meds don't seem to have changed much is my tendency to hyperfocus. If anything, it sometimes feels even stronger than before.
Bart Simpson (to the tune of “I'm Popeye the Sailor Man”): “When I can’t stop my fiddlin’, I just takes me Ritalin, I’m poppin’ and sailin’, man!” (“Brother’s Little Helper,” Season 11, episode 2, aired 10/3/99)