ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Women with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Women with ADD/ADHD This forum is for women to discuss issues related to being a woman with AD/HD.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-26-19, 06:21 PM
LjWhirlwind LjWhirlwind is offline
Newbie
 

Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Uk
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LjWhirlwind is on a distinguished road
Diagnosed but still confused and unsure!....

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to put all my confused and muddled questions out there! (I am new to this forum stuff so forgive me if I haven’t posted in the right place)
I’m 26, female, and have recently been (kind of diagnosed) with add innatentive type through my therapist whom I have been going to for over two years… But its only now come out. Which I find strange. So I’ve been reading lots about it…
The symptoms I mainly have are feelings of being overwhelmed, forgetfulness losing keys etc this has been throughout my life. My boyfriend calls me a whirlwind because I’m always onto the next thing however I have moments of rejection sensitivity which can be really upsetting and can completely take over leaving myself confused why I was upset in the first place or my boyfriend or others. I find myself crying over something someone else would deal with without the need for tears. something that recently happened and I was caught off guard and had been told off for parking in the wrong place, but momentarily my whole world ended and I shut down into a blubbering mess. then I beat myself up and get totally fed up and think about what I should of said or how the situation could be different if I composed myself.
I’m not however very messy but I go through phases of being disorganised and have phase of procrastination… especially when I have to concentrate on somthing I think is really hard. Which I then beat myself up about because focusing unless Its art its boring and hard in things that I do not find interesting and my mind drifts…
So over the years through college. And uni I’ve work so hard to be the organised perfect student and person, working late nights and shutting myself away to get it done.
The more I read and write this the more it seems real.
My question to you is are these the typical symptoms and should I come to believe that this it me as at this moment… My mind is saying “really is this me? Nah I can’t be!”

I’m not the medication kind of person and have been over the years contemplating medication for anxiety or depression before I knew this could be a thing in low times.
Are there alternative ways of getting some perspective or medications?
And what are your thoughts do I have add? And do I need a grounded diagnosis? and what are all your experiences?

Thank you 😊 and (sorry for the long message! Ha!)

Lj
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-27-19, 06:58 AM
sarahsweets's Avatar
sarahsweets sarahsweets is offline
Mod-A-holic
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: nj, usa
Posts: 28,544
Thanks: 5,788
Thanked 33,009 Times in 15,307 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Diagnosed but still confused and unsure!....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LjWhirlwind View Post
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to put all my confused and muddled questions out there! (I am new to this forum stuff so forgive me if I haven’t posted in the right place)
I’m 26, female, and have recently been (kind of diagnosed) with add innatentive type through my therapist whom I have been going to for over two years… But its only now come out. Which I find strange. So I’ve been reading lots about it…
Girls present adhd symptoms differently. Its likely you had it your whole life but flew under the radar. I understand reading a lot about it its natural that you would want to understand yourself better!
Quote:
The symptoms I mainly have are feelings of being overwhelmed, forgetfulness losing keys etc this has been throughout my life. My boyfriend calls me a whirlwind because I’m always onto the next thing however I have moments of rejection sensitivity which can be really upsetting and can completely take over leaving myself confused why I was upset in the first place or my boyfriend or others. I find myself crying over something someone else would deal with without the need for tears. something that recently happened and I was caught off guard and had been told off for parking in the wrong place, but momentarily my whole world ended and I shut down into a blubbering mess. then I beat myself up and get totally fed up and think about what I should of said or how the situation could be different if I composed myself.
I’m not however very messy but I go through phases of being disorganised and have phase of procrastination… especially when I have to concentrate on somthing I think is really hard. Which I then beat myself up about because focusing unless Its art its boring and hard in things that I do not find interesting and my mind drifts…
All these symptoms make sense. I am not familiar with rejection sensitivity can you explain more? One of the hallmark symptoms of adhd is emotional regulation issues so meltdowns are not unheard of. I have been a jerk before and had no idea and then do something stupid and end up in tears. I procrastinate a lot until the fear takes over and then I will do what I have to do. I have a list of phone calls I need to make and for some reason I keep putting them off. You do not have to be messy to have adhd, I am rigid about some things but my bedroom is like a bomb blew up!
Quote:
I’m not the medication kind of person and have been over the years contemplating medication for anxiety or depression before I knew this could be a thing in low times.
Are there alternative ways of getting some perspective or medications?
And what are your thoughts do I have add? And do I need a grounded diagnosis? and what are all your experiences?

Thank you 😊 and (sorry for the long message! Ha!)

Lj
I am wondering what you mean about not being a medication person? Do you mean you dont want medication or have tried it an not liked it? Have you tried meds for adhd or depression? I am very passionate about stimulants for adhd. They are a first line treatment for adhd and can be life saving. Welcome to the forums!
__________________
President of the No F's given society.

I carried a watermelon?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
confused - adhd - denial. new from Australia PollyP New Member Introductions 4 01-27-16 06:14 PM
New and so confused.. aquawoman New Member Introductions 5 11-12-12 08:24 PM
Still unsure about diagnosis... need opinion GoalieMel33 Adult Diagnosis & Treatment 1 04-10-12 08:56 AM
I'm confused! LD/IQ assessment worth the effort? JBPDX General ADD Talk 12 10-11-09 09:38 AM
New here and confused Mertz General ADD Talk 12 08-29-08 08:53 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) 2003 - 2015 ADD Forums