ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Men with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Men with ADD/ADHD This forum is for men to discuss issues related to being a man with AD/HD.

Old 05-03-19, 01:33 PM

garyfo is on a distinguished road
Adult recently diagnosed with ADHD

Hi Everyone!

I'm a 35 yo male who was recently diagnosed with ADHD. I also have anxiety and depression (treated with 40mg cymbalta) and it's mostly anxiety (which causes the depression). I am a combined type inattentive and hyperactive. I don't appear to be physically hyperactive but my mind is always racing. I have what I would describe as moderate inattentiveness, but to me it feels severe.

I'm trying to figure out the best, safest, dose that works for me. My doctor first prescribed me with 5mg IR and told me to taper up my dosage until I found something that worked.

20mg per day IR worked fine for about a month. I did experience some of the euphoria-related effects but those wore off. Increased focus, was able to sit still for hours a time.

Since then, I've moved to a combination of XR and IR. The dosage has now increased to 20mg XR + 5mg IR in the morning (7am) and 20mg XR + 5mg IR in the afternoon (1:00pm).

It's been about 6 weeks total since I've started with any medication, and I feel like it is ineffective. Rather than increasing the Adderall dose, I was considering:

- Switching to Dexedrine
- Switching to Ritalin/Concerta

Does anyone have any suggestions on which one might react better? I understand that everyone is different, but looking for anecdotal experience from someone who has experienced the same issues.

Or what it may mean if my hyperactivity symptoms have subsided, but my ability to focus has not. When I first started on the Adderall I was able to focus.
Old 05-04-19, 06:12 AM
Jr Member

lateadultadhd is on a distinguished road
Re: Adult recently diagnosed with ADHD

Dex is the stronger CNS stimulant of the two vs Ritalin since it acts as both a reuptake inhibitor and releaser whereas ritalin is only a reuptake inhibitor. It's also stronger than Adderall.

I'm on dex, I like it. It feels clean and got rid of my anxiety. Only annoying side effects is the cotton mouth
Old 05-04-19, 06:47 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,009 Times in 15,307 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Adderall contains levoamphetamine which is what seems to play into the PNS stimulation and can help with the "get up and go" part of a stimulant. Ir never lasts as long with me as its supposed to so I take all xr. I also take more than the standard amount due to absorption issues. I took dex spansules for 7 years and it was very smooth but seemed to make me focus on all the fun stuff and none of what had to be done. You could need a higher dose of all xr, all ir or both. Or all dex.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
aeon (05-04-19)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-19, 09:46 AM

garyfo is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your responses! I have a few more questions:

- I tried 40mg of IR this morning at 7:30am and don't really notice anything that different. I think I do need to increase the dosage, but is there any information on maximum daily/safe dosage for Adults? I read that the 60mg max was for children, but ALSO haven't been able to find any more information on that.

- I can feel the IR more, but it doesn't make sense to me. Isn't XR 20mg just 10mg IR and 10mg coated to release in 5 hours? If so, why does a 5mg IR tab feel stronger to me than the 10mg in the XR formulation?