ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-19, 07:00 PM

Miercoles is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Newly Diagnosed Looking for Advice

Hello. I was recently diagnosed with ADD at the age of 34. I work from home full time and initially, I had some outside activities so I had balance (according to my doc), but they've all expired and I feel like I'm going nuts. My doctor recently increased my Vyvanse dose from 30mg to 40mg (March) and it worked for a while but everything is getting bad again. I take the medicine in the morning and I have SO MUCH to catch up on and a SWEAR catching up is all I want to do but for whatever reason, I walk up to that mountain of stuff to catch up on and I cannot start and then I just start crying about how pitiful I am and how bad I've made things and can't do anything and waste the day. When I "force" myself to be productive, I still can't really start anything. As soon as the first sign of "adversity" comes along, I'm panicking and I can't calm down and I'm biting the inside of my cheeks something awful. I'm an engineer and the way I've gotten behind t work seems to be the reason I can't start to get ahead and I'm just dizzy. The house is behind. My financial plans are behind. I can't get anything started. I'm currently trying to schedule an appointment with a psychiatrist but everyone is so booked but I need to try some kind of structure changes to help in the mean time. Does anyone have any advice? I'm sorry if this message is so broad; I'm just looking for any kind of direction because I feel like no matter what, I cannot get up and do anything. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-05-19, 09:18 PM
ADDvanced Member

cobain67 has a spectacular aura aboutcobain67 has a spectacular aura about
Re: Newly Diagnosed Looking for Advice

If you can manage, get some exercise. May not want to but a little physical activity can do wonders for anxiety and sanity. Yoga is great too.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cobain67 For This Useful Post:
Alphawave (05-16-19), excel (05-05-19)
Old 05-16-19, 07:45 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,009 Times in 15,307 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Are you happy with the way the vyvanse works? As far as making progress I suffer the same issues and try the "just five minutes" approach. I go over to whatever pile of whatever needs to be dealt with and set a timer for 5 minutes. And for five minutes I will work as hard as I can going through, picking up, putting away-whatever-just five minutes. After five minutes I take a little break and do it again. Sometimes I get in the groove and am able to go beyond five minutes but five minutes is the goal.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (05-16-19), Lunacie (05-16-19), PoppnNSailinMan (05-16-19)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-19, 10:01 AM

PoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud of

I might try the "just five minutes approach" myself. Sounds like a good idea. I sometimes feel overwhelmed and taking small steps is the best approach. I can't help thinking of a little proverb I heard once: How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.
Bart Simpson (to the tune of “I'm Popeye the Sailor Man”): “When I can’t stop my fiddlin’, I just takes me Ritalin, I’m poppin’ and sailin’, man!” (“Brother’s Little Helper,” Season 11, episode 2, aired 10/3/99)

Last edited by PoppnNSailinMan; 05-16-19 at 10:14 AM..
Old 05-16-19, 12:45 PM

italianstallion is on a distinguished road

The good thing with vyvanse is that it works immediately, you don't have to wait months for it to start working like with other drugs. You're able to make adjustments more easily because of this. I know waiting for appointments is frustrating.Try calling your doc and explaining your symptoms, maybe you can phrase it as having a quick question so he/she will speak with you. They can offer advice on whether you need a higher or lower dose etc. so that you can start to see improvement immediately instead of waiting.