ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 12-09-16, 11:01 PM

ccjesper is on a distinguished road
Inability to act, please help

I'm pretty much out of ideas. I've seen therapists and doctors and psychiatrists, and I just don't know what I'm dealing with. I'm almost certain I have ADHD, I've been on several different medications and although they tend to fizzle out after about a week, they seem to make a difference at the beginning, so they're doing something. But there's this other thing that I can't quite figure out, and so far nobody else has either. Google, as one might imagine, isn't exactly helpful with these super vague symptoms, so I'm hoping I can reel in a person who knows what's going on.

Basically, walking you through an episode, it goes like this:
I'll be working on a paper for college, really hammering away, when suddenly whatever I try to do is met with this weirdly unpleasant reaction. Just the thought of typing out another sentence is met with this sensation that originates in my gut and sort of spreads out down my arms and into my hands if I push hard enough at it. It's ridiculously hard to describe, and it doesn't just apply to things I'd rather not do. I get this feeling, and until it goes away, I can't write my paper, I can't play video games, I just can't.

It's so hard to explain any other way, but it impedes my thought process and it happens almost completely at random, indiscriminately preventing me from doing almost anything. Listening to music, playing instruments, watching TV, it all causes this sensation that's almost equivalent to physical pain, and my brain seems to almost shut off if I try to fight it.

I'm really hoping somebody on here can at least put a name to a face, because I'm totally used up here. I honestly don't know for certain if it's my ADHD that's causing it, it's just all I have to go on. If you've read this far, thanks, I appreciate it.
The Following User Says Thank You to ccjesper For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (12-10-16)
Old 12-10-16, 01:59 AM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 13,099 Times in 6,309 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Inability to act, please help

Welcome to the forum!

I can relate to what you describe. I also have ADHD along with OCD/anxiety. I can work diligently on a task and suddenly I have to stop. I physically get nauseous and continuing to attempt the task is mentally painful.

I believe mine is related to anxiety. I don't have any anxiety during the task until I reach that point like you described. I think when my brain is spent on a task it creates a sudden anxiety attack. I don't feel nervous but rather just weird mentally and physically nauseous.

You may want to look into anxiety as a culprit. Good luck with it!
Old 12-10-16, 08:02 AM
Contributor

john2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to beholdjohn2100 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjesper View Post
I'm pretty much out of ideas. I've seen therapists and doctors and psychiatrists, and I just don't know what I'm dealing with. I'm almost certain I have ADHD, I've been on several different medications and although they tend to fizzle out after about a week, they seem to make a difference at the beginning, so they're doing something. But there's this other thing that I can't quite figure out, and so far nobody else has either. Google, as one might imagine, isn't exactly helpful with these super vague symptoms, so I'm hoping I can reel in a person who knows what's going on.

I'll be working on a paper for college, really hammering away, when suddenly whatever I try to do is met with this weirdly unpleasant reaction. Just the thought of typing out another sentence is met with this sensation that originates in my gut and sort of spreads out down my arms and into my hands if I push hard enough at it. It's ridiculously hard to describe, and it doesn't just apply to things I'd rather not do. I get this feeling, and until it goes away, I can't write my paper, I can't play video games, I just can't.

It's so hard to explain any other way, but it impedes my thought process and it happens almost completely at random, indiscriminately preventing me from doing almost anything. Listening to music, playing instruments, watching TV, it all causes this sensation that's almost equivalent to physical pain, and my brain seems to almost shut off if I try to fight it.

I'm really hoping somebody on here can at least put a name to a face, because I'm totally used up here. I honestly don't know for certain if it's my ADHD that's causing it, it's just all I have to go on. If you've read this far, thanks, I appreciate it.

I have almost exactly the same thing happening, I'll tell you how I deal with it , if it is similar to my situation , but I need to clarify something.

1. Is that negative stopping feeling triggered only by a task that carry a consequences or has a certain importance to you ?

2. Once you have that negative feeling triggered ,how long does it stay before you can do a pleasurable thing like video game?

3. How long before you are attempiting again to go back to the task that triggered it ?

4. Can you see any symtoms: anger,frustration, breathing, BP high?

5. What do you do , at the time while you wait for that negative feeling to go away?

6. How often does it happen?

7. How long have you had it?

8. Is it getting progressivly worse? Is so , how bad was it x yers ago and now or you could list the progress. Examp. 5y ago 1= not bad,4yers ago 2 =worse etc

9. Has anything happened to you,that you could think of that could be possibly responsible for this : any trauma? death in the family, relation ship problem, any traumatic experience? medication used?

10 . What do the doctor say, why are you stopped in your tracks?

11. Can you do the that exact same task with a friend around? Do you get that stopping trigger then?
If you never tried it, could you try it? It will carry enornmous importance if you could test it on multyple occasions as well.

12. What medications are you on?
How is that feeling effected by meds, better or worse when on /off meds?

If I find that your experience are much different then mine, your answers will help others to possible help you .

Last edited by john2100; 12-10-16 at 08:31 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-17, 04:51 PM

allesandro1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjesper View Post

Sounds like your 'freezing', a moment of paralysis if you will resulting from some past trauma. An internal or external stimuli triggers this
Old 11-18-17, 06:09 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,561 Times in 13,429 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

OP- it sounds an awful lot like anxiety or an anxiety/panic attack.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.