ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 07-18-17, 01:18 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,372 Times in 756 Posts
finallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant future
Unhappy I hate ADHD and I hate Dyscalculia

I also hate Statistics and that I have to take it to get a BSN where I will never use it.

I had fleeting thoughts of trying to find someone to take the rest of this completely online class for me. That's unethical and cheating! I don't have the guts to do it which is a good thing. I guess my moral compass is still somewhat intact, at least in this area.

Along with ALL of my other issues and negative goings on in my life, this class is pushing to my emotional limit.

Save
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to finallyfound10 For This Useful Post:
aeon (07-18-17), namazu (07-18-17)
Old 07-18-17, 01:35 PM
Yeti-Wrangling Moderator

Thanked 18,730 Times in 9,273 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I hate ADHD and I hate Dyscalculia

Yay, moral compass!

You might actually need to calculate something someday as a nurse -- accurately. If you can't do it mentally, find a way to work around or accommodate this -- apps or calculators, "cheat sheets" (not for academic work, but to refer to for common calculations/conversions), etc.

Understanding statistics is important for general numerical literacy. Like, understanding and evaluating risks (including risks of medical conditions and drug side effects), and polls, and other stuff that comes up frequently in life.

When I had to take stats (1+ years of it!) it helped me to focus more on explaining things in words than in symbols, because I tend to transpose symbols and confuse myself.

(Not so helpful when they want me to calculate the probability of finding a blue M&M or how many different types of sandwich I can make with 3 types of bread and 4 sandwich fillings and 4 condiments. Words were useful for other stuff, like understanding confidence intervals and numbers needed to treat and other such things.)

Have you looked at Khan Academy? They have free educational videos covering lots of mathy and sciency topics (including stats) in short chunks. Might be helpful to see the stuff explained a different way.

Is there any online tutoring or "office hours" offered?

Your cheering section is cheering you on! Go finallyfound!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-15-17), finallyfound10 (07-21-17)
Old 07-19-17, 01:10 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,313 Times in 639 Posts
Hyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant future

yeah me too
finallyfound10 (07-21-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-17, 09:52 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,372 Times in 756 Posts
finallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by namazu View Post
Yay, moral compass!

You might actually need to calculate something someday as a nurse -- accurately. If you can't do it mentally, find a way to work around or accommodate this -- apps or calculators, "cheat sheets" (not for academic work, but to refer to for common calculations/conversions), etc.

Understanding statistics is important for general numerical literacy. Like, understanding and evaluating risks (including risks of medical conditions and drug side effects), and polls, and other stuff that comes up frequently in life.

When I had to take stats (1+ years of it!) it helped me to focus more on explaining things in words than in symbols, because I tend to transpose symbols and confuse myself.

(Not so helpful when they want me to calculate the probability of finding a blue M&M or how many different types of sandwich I can make with 3 types of bread and 4 sandwich fillings and 4 condiments. Words were useful for other stuff, like understanding confidence intervals and numbers needed to treat and other such things.)

Have you looked at Khan Academy? They have free educational videos covering lots of mathy and sciency topics (including stats) in short chunks. Might be helpful to see the stuff explained a different way.

Is there any online tutoring or "office hours" offered?

Your cheering section is cheering you on! Go finallyfound!
THANK YOU Namazu!!!!

No, I won't hire someone to take the rest for me. The guilt would be worse than how I feel now.

There is a math called "dosage calculations" that most nursing schools give every semester and schools give about 2 chances to take it and if a nursing student can't then they are out of the program.

It is very, very rare that an RN needs to use it on the job due to the pharmacy printing what the RN needs to know on the packaging, the Medication section of the charting computer program such as in Epic and Cerner telling the RN what is needed as well as the towers loaded with the controlled meds such as Pyxis, Accudose and Omnicell showing the RN important dosing information too.

All of the being said, just 2 days ago I needed to give an IV med using a syringe that came packaged in mcg/ml and the ordered dose was 12.5 mcg/ml. If it were giving it using "smart pump" I would not have to do anything put press the correct buttons and hit start. BUT since it was given by hand, I had to convert mcg to mg then figure out how many mg/ml to give. Since I do it so rarely, it took some time but got it figured out!!

I've used Khan Academy and everything else on the web as resources! I went to tutoring at the school and it was helpful but since I have no real foundation since we aren't being taught, it made it difficult.

finally
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to finallyfound10 For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-15-17), Little Missy (07-21-17), namazu (07-21-17)
Old 11-15-17, 05:08 PM

kiradonovan is on a distinguished road

I don't like it too
The Following User Says Thank You to kiradonovan For This Useful Post:
finallyfound10 (11-29-17)