ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-14-17, 07:44 PM

GypsyJ is on a distinguished road
Hi from Australia

Hi all,

I'm fairly certain my story isn't a unique one but here goes. I was just diagnosed a few weeks ago (age 46) by my psych who treats me for Bipolar Disorder, after we got on to the topic of how much I struggle with university, despite having quite a high intelligence. He's seen my pattern of not finishing the many degrees I've started over the last couple of years because I get distracted and struggle to focus or retain information. We talked about my high school history where I had the usual teacher comments, "is intelligent but does not apply herself..." I'm unmotivated and have a terribly memory for chores and appointments even if I write them down, which my parents always put down to deliberate laziness no matter how much I swore to the contrary. It all seems so obvious in retrospect, doesn't it?

Anyway, I have an appointment to discuss treatment tomorrow and will be due to start medication on Thursday (was waiting until new sleep meds kicked in before starting anything else). I have no idea as of yet what I'm going to be prescribed, but I assume something along the lines of Dexedrine since Australia has limited treatment options?

I'm a bit nervous about taking a stimulant since my track record with drugs usually equals all the side effects, but I'm also looking forward to being a new kind of normal.