ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Old 07-27-17, 11:05 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,205 Times in 907 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation
Re: ADHD and Play

There are people who choose not to take medication.

There are some people with some other commorbbiddittes, that are unable to take medication for various reasons.

M
Old 07-27-17, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapunzel16 View Post
My son is 6 and free play is the way he decompresses. He loves to play with toy figures (animals, characters, anything) or build with legos. Outdoor free play at a playground works too, sometimes better. It's the open-endedness that just helps him relax and calm his mind, when so many other things require him to focus on predetermined activities it's good to just let go. At least that's my impression. It's something he really needs time for each day.
Beautiful

Your attuned presents in the relationship is essential.

I forgot about all the benefits of the outdoors.

Outdoor supervised free play.

What do you mean "decompresses"?

Cools down?

M

Last edited by mildadhd; 07-27-17 at 11:33 AM..
Old 07-27-17, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unmanagable View Post
I don't have kids that I'm trying to treat, and I haven't read all of the posts here, but speaking for myself, as a former kid who went undiagnosed for decades, and especially as someone who has tried the meds route and found them to have way too many side effects to be able to continue to rely on, I have to use multiple treatment methods to help keep all of my issues/symptoms in check, none of which cancel out the other, but rather work together in concert with each other to enhance the effects. I also deal with other issues in addition to adhd, so everyone's mileage will vary.

I would hope that all the folks who use meds as treatment also use other treatment methods in addition to, rather than simply relying fully on the pills to keep their symptoms in check and to keep them functional. One of the best things I ever learned here back in the day is that pills don't teach skills.

Treatment is defined as being the use of an agent in helping to manage disease. If your dis-ease is being managed and your chosen agent is play, then it's a treatment method. Combined with other helpful healthful methods, it can be quite beneficial by enhancing each other, as I've learned in dealing with my own issues.

I guess there are formal treatments and informal, similar to formal education and informal. One is always valued much higher than the other, it seems, so a lot of folks pass on by the informal stuff feeling it simply isn't worthy, for whatever reasons. And many automatically dismiss anything that doesn't already have substantial amounts of peer reviewed science backing it up.

The only way I learned how beneficial and valuable all of the other more informal stuff truly is was by being left miserable, desperate, and feeling as if I had no choice by all the formal folks we're typically sent to in hopes of finding clear and effective answers.

If that's the way 'treatments' are viewed by many, it's no wonder we struggle so much in finding things that work. Every single action we do that goes towards helping to reel in and healthily manage our symptoms is considered a treatment, in my mind.

There's not been a single solution that covers everything that I've found in my pursuits. It has taken a village of treatment methods. Finding relief has been much more like an ongoing essay question or an ongoing research paper than it has been a simple multiple choice and then be done with it. Although for a long time, I was hoping like hell there would be that one easy answer.

Every morning as soon as I'm out of bed, I head to my mini-trampoline and hula hoop for a few minutes (or a few songs) worth of "play" that most adults refer to as exercise. Then I venture into nature to see what treasures I can spot during a morning walk. Doing those things each day ensures I'll greatly enhance my other treatment options and will likely have a much better day than if I don't do those things. I can imagine if I were being supervised or accompanied by someone who didn't believe in what I was doing, or in my right or need to do it, it would definitely take away from the effectiveness.

Without freely releasing that energy, getting the flow going within, and increasing the oxygenation of my cells, along with choosing clean nurturing hydration, clean nurturing foods as my fuel and foundation, etc., etc., sometimes several times a day, I'd still be miserable and trapped in a fog much of the day with very little energy and no desire to even participate in life.

I lived for quite a few years like that, relying fully on doctors and their suggested and rigorously studied methods and such. I ended up damn near bedridden for some time while following their formal and highly educated advice to the letter. My quality of life went down the toilet at turbo speed during those days thanks to their suggested treatments and guidance.

Glad to have crossed paths with many of the more informal ways to help dig me up out of my various ditches. I wish the more formal avenues would work more closely with the informal ones for a more complete and sustainable healing experience. Especially in the school, medical, and mental health arenas. Because right now, there's way too many left suffering and being set up for failure. Maybe one day...
Maybe one day everyone will have a "mini-trampoline and hula hoop for a few minutes (or a few songs) in the morning worth of "play" that most adults refer to as exercise."

Great stuff!

Mini-trampolines and hula hoops as far as the eye can see.

Edit: The more I think about this the more fascinated I become because you push on the mini-trampoline and the mini-trampoline pushes back.

M

Last edited by mildadhd; 07-27-17 at 11:52 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to mildadhd For This Useful Post:
Unmanagable (07-27-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-17, 11:32 AM

supervised mini-trampoline

vs

unsupervised mini-trampoline

M

Last edited by mildadhd; 07-27-17 at 11:42 AM.. Reason: Simplified
The Following User Says Thank You to mildadhd For This Useful Post:
Unmanagable (07-27-17)
Old 07-27-17, 11:50 AM
Forum Guru

Caco3girl is a splendid one to beholdCaco3girl is a splendid one to beholdCaco3girl is a splendid one to beholdCaco3girl is a splendid one to beholdCaco3girl is a splendid one to beholdCaco3girl is a splendid one to beholdCaco3girl is a splendid one to beholdCaco3girl is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
I'm learning a lot, thanks.

What types of PLAY does your son prefere when he is not taking medication?

M
The same things he does when he's on the medication. Baseball, basketball, running, swimming, weight lifting, biking...etc. I haven't' medicated him all summer and he's the same kid...although maybe a bit moodier, but that could be because he's a 15 year old boy who of course thinks he is about 25 and thinks my rules are stupid, as most boys think their parents rules are stupid and they know WAY more than us.
The Following User Says Thank You to Caco3girl For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (07-27-17)
Old 07-27-17, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caco3girl View Post
The same things he does when he's on the medication. Baseball, basketball, running, swimming, weight lifting, biking...etc. I haven't' medicated him all summer and he's the same kid...although maybe a bit moodier, but that could be because he's a 15 year old boy who of course thinks he is about 25 and thinks my rules are stupid, as most boys think their parents rules are stupid and they know WAY more than us.
Do you think he benefited from supervised free play before ever taking medication?

Do you think he benefits from supervised free play when he is not taking medication?

M
Old 07-27-17, 01:11 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,954 Times in 14,768 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Mild- you never answered my question about being too young(or however it was worded) for medication. What do you mean?

I carried a watermelon?
Old 07-27-17, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Mild- you never answered my question about being too young(or however it was worded) for medication. What do you mean?
A massive amount of development of our self-regulation occurs before the age of 7.

If a doctor thinks it is ok for a child to start taking medication for the first time at the age of 7.

In this case, there would be six years before medication was a treatment option.

M
Old 07-27-17, 03:22 PM
Forum Guru

Caco3girl is a splendid one to beholdCaco3girl is a splendid one to beholdCaco3girl is a splendid one to beholdCaco3girl is a splendid one to beholdCaco3girl is a splendid one to beholdCaco3girl is a splendid one to beholdCaco3girl is a splendid one to beholdCaco3girl is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Do you think he benefited from supervised free play before ever taking medication?

Do you think he benefits from supervised free play when he is not taking medication?

M
No, I see not benefit in my near 15 year old have free play with or without the medication.

My daughter is 8 and she is more hyperactive, for her playing and exerting energy does help with SOME of her hyperactive things, but it does not help with her ability to sit down in a chair and learn for 45 minutes. For that, she takes medication.
Old 07-27-17, 04:10 PM
Mod-A-holic

sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
A massive amount of development of our self-regulation occurs before the age of 7.

If a doctor thinks it is ok for a child to start taking medication for the first time at the age of 7.

In this case, there would be six years before medication was a treatment option.

M
Do you mean a child should not take medicine before the age of 7? Or age 6?

I carried a watermelon?
Old 07-27-17, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Do you mean a child should not take medicine before the age of 7? Or age 6?

If I remember correctly, you said your son started taking medication at 3.5 years of age?

So he would have had roughly 3.5 years before medication was an option.

Depends on the individual.

I read doctors recommend behavioral type therapy like supervised free play instead of medication before at the age of 6, but I am sure there could be some exceptions, depending on sensitivity of inherited temperament and individual circumstances.

M

Last edited by mildadhd; 07-27-17 at 06:11 PM..
Old 07-28-17, 01:23 PM
Forum Guru

Quote:
If I remember correctly, you said your son started taking medication at 3.5 years of age?

I read doctors recommend behavioral type therapy like supervised free play instead of medication before at the age of 6, but I am sure there could be some exceptions, depending on sensitivity of inherited temperament and individual circumstances.

M
Your choice of words is very odd. Medication is an "option" from birth.

Do you have a kid with ADHD? Or are you researching an article or something.
Old 07-28-17, 03:15 PM

Outdoor supervised free playful behavior therapy.

Quote:
Behavior therapy is effective treatment for attention-
deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) that can improve a child’s behavior, self-control, and self-esteem. It is most effective in young children when it is delivered by parents. Experts recommend that doctors refer parents of children under 6 years old for training in behavior therapy before prescribing ADHD medicine. When parents become trained in behavior therapy, they learn skills and strategies to help their child with ADHD succeed at school, at home, and in relationships.

Behavior therapy, given by parents and with the support of healthcare providers, teaches children to better control their own behavior, leading to improved functioning at school, home and in relationships. Learning and practicing behavior therapy requires time and effort, but it has lasting benefits for the child.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/adhd/behavior-therapy.html
Old 07-28-17, 03:50 PM

Thanked 25,723 Times in 12,001 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Outdoor supervised free playful behavior therapy.

Quote:
Behavior therapy is effective treatment for attention-
deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) that can improve a child’s behavior, self-control, and self-esteem. It is most effective in young children when it is delivered by parents. Experts recommend that doctors refer parents of children under 6 years old for training in behavior therapy before prescribing ADHD medicine. When parents become trained in behavior therapy, they learn skills and strategies to help their child with ADHD succeed at school, at home, and in relationships.

Behavior therapy, given by parents and with the support of healthcare providers, teaches children to better control their own behavior, leading to improved functioning at school, home and in relationships. Learning and practicing behavior therapy requires time and effort, but it has lasting benefits for the child.
http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/adhd/behavior-therapy.html

Do you know of any places where parents can get this kind of training?

Added ... I checked the links embedded in your quote link ... and none
are within reasonable driving distance.

I know that play can be useful as therapy ... but it may not be so simple
to learn how to use it effectively.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 07-28-17, 04:14 PM
Mod-A-holic

Quote:

Im sorry I am still getting mixed up. Do you mean in general he had 3.5 before medication was an option because he was diagnosed at age 3.5 and medicated at age 4? or do you mean he was 3.5 years too early for meds? I am really just trying to make out your points.

Quote:
What reliable sources do you have that say medication should not be used before the age of 6, and that freeplay is the better solution before age 6? The dsm did change up somethings when it comes to ages for diagnosis of young children. I know when he was diagnosed, it was 1999 and the science still was lacking and he was one of a handful of kids in the state to be diagnosed at age 3.5 and medicated at age 4. Our psyche was affiliated with a teaching hospital and worked in psychiatry and neurology and had access to more cutting edge sort of science and data. She was very up on new changes to the dsm, treatment options and studies.

M[/quote]

I carried a watermelon?