ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Old 07-28-17, 05:33 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,202 Times in 904 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation
Re: ADHD and Play

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
It's something that comes naturally to me, and at times it has worked with my
grandkids but for some reason my autistic granddaughter has decided that I'm
trying to manipulate her when I try to lighten things up with humor.

Really, I guess it worked best when the girls were little. Once they hit their pre-
teens they change in so many ways.

She's been seeing a therapist for 10 years (different one before that) who
specializes in play-therapy, and he's been very helpful for all of us.
I found it is best to avoid any "humour" that a more sensitive child/person might interpret as sarcasm/manipulation.

I am so glad play-therapy has been working so well for your granddaughter, for so long.

M

Last edited by mildadhd; 07-28-17 at 05:55 PM..
Old 07-28-17, 05:39 PM

Thanked 25,716 Times in 11,997 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
I found it is best to avoid any "humour" that a more sensitive child might interpret as sarcasm/manipulation.

I am so glad play-therapy has been working so well for your granddaughter, for so long.

M
I don't intend for the humor to come across as sarcasm/manipulation. I would
certainly avoid that if I understood which things are taken as such.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 07-28-17, 05:49 PM

Quote:
I don't intend for the humor to come across as sarcasm/manipulation. I would
certainly avoid that if I understood which things are taken as such.
I know what you mean, it really helps now that I am more aware of my own and others hypersensitive temperaments.

When I screw up, I find it important to admit and apologize to my step son as soon as possible.

M
Old 07-28-17, 06:53 PM

Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I know what you mean, it really helps now that I am more aware of my own and others hypersensitive temperaments.

When I screw up, I find it important to admit and apologize to my step son as soon as possible.

M
Yes, I always tell her that I'm sorry and I didn't mean for it to sound the way it sounded to her.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 07-28-17, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Yes, I always tell her that I'm sorry and I didn't mean for it to sound the way it sounded to her.
There is a few times I remember being sarcastic to my step son when I was grumpy, or tired.

But after reading the look on his face, I realized I just made things worse.

I apologized for being sarcastic, and am trying really hard not to be sarcastic again.

I would not mention the child's hypersensitive temperament to him, in my apology.

The hypersensitive child might perceive as if I am criticizing him, for him being hypersensitive.

M
Old 07-30-17, 05:13 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,941 Times in 14,763 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Mild, can you shed more light on what you meant about medication and a child age 6 or 7?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Im sorry I am still getting mixed up. Do you mean in general he had 3.5 before medication was an option because he was diagnosed at age 3.5 and medicated at age 4? or do you mean he was 3.5 years too early for meds? I am really just trying to make out your points.

What reliable sources do you have that say medication should not be used before the age of 6, and that freeplay is the better solution before age 6? The dsm did change up somethings when it comes to ages for diagnosis of young children. I know when he was diagnosed, it was 1999 and the science still was lacking and he was one of a handful of kids in the state to be diagnosed at age 3.5 and medicated at age 4. Our psyche was affiliated with a teaching hospital and worked in psychiatry and neurology and had access to more cutting edge sort of science and data. She was very up on new changes to the dsm, treatment options and studies.

M
[/quote]

I carried a watermelon?
Old 07-30-17, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Mild, can you shed more light on what you meant about medication and a child age 6 or 7?
Sure.

*If a child started taking medication at age 4.

The child would have lived approx 4 years before trying the medication option.

In this case, supervised free play would have been an option to help promote the development of implicit and explicit self-regulation, approx 4 years before medication was a treatment option.

**If a child started taking medication at age 5

The child would have lived approx 5 years before trying the medication option.

In this case, supervised free play would have been an option to help promote the development of implicit and explicit self-regulation, approx 5 years before medication was a treatment option.

***If a child started taking medication at age 6.

The child would have lived approx 6 years before trying the medication option.

In this case, supervised free play would have been an option to help promote the development of implicit and explicit self-regulation, approx 6 years before medication was a treatment option.

***If a child started taking medication at age 7.

The child would have lived approx 7 years before trying the medication option.

In this case, supervised free play would have been an option to help promote the development of implicit and explicit self-regulation, approx 7 years before medication was a treatment option.

M

Last edited by mildadhd; 07-30-17 at 12:54 PM..
Old 07-31-17, 10:08 AM
Forum Guru

Caco3girl is a splendid one to beholdCaco3girl is a splendid one to beholdCaco3girl is a splendid one to beholdCaco3girl is a splendid one to beholdCaco3girl is a splendid one to beholdCaco3girl is a splendid one to beholdCaco3girl is a splendid one to beholdCaco3girl is a splendid one to behold

I found the cdc website you were using, it says "Experts recommend that doctors refer parents of children under 6 years old for training in behavior therapy before prescribing ADHD medicine".

You may interpret this as them saying behavior therapy and supervised play is the first line of treatment for ADHD kids, but I read it as saying This behavior therapy will help with the outbursts but when the kid reaches school age switch to medication.

As I have stated, my son wasn't diagnosed until 8th grade, but he did play often. I see two scenarios, either play did not help him at all, or play assisted him in hiding his ADHD from the world and me. In either case I'm not thinking we should advertise that play is a treatment for ADHD.
The Following User Says Thank You to Caco3girl For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (07-31-17)
Old 07-31-17, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caco3girl View Post
I found the cdc website you were using, it says "Experts recommend that doctors refer parents of children under 6 years old for training in behavior therapy before prescribing ADHD medicine".

You may interpret this as them saying behavior therapy and supervised play is the first line of treatment for ADHD kids, but I read it as saying This behavior therapy will help with the outbursts but when the kid reaches school age switch to medication.

As I have stated, my son wasn't diagnosed until 8th grade, but he did play often. I see two scenarios, either play did not help him at all, or play assisted him in hiding his ADHD from the world and me. In either case I'm not thinking we should advertise that play is a treatment for ADHD.
Also, as I pointed out in an earlier post, it seems to be very difficult to find
places that offer parent training for this.

Old 07-31-17, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caco3girl View Post

Play assisted your son in hiding his ADHD from the world and you?

Same thing happens when I take medication.

Medication hides my ADHD, until the medication wares off.

Daily supervised free play has hid my stepson's ADHD, so much so, that he has never needed to take medication.

If had known better, I would have stopped supervised free playing, so that he could be more impaired and take medication.

M

Last edited by mildadhd; 07-31-17 at 11:30 AM..
Old 07-31-17, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Also, as I pointed out in an earlier post, it seems to be very difficult to find
places that offer parent training for this.
I am glad you found a good play therapist for your family member who has been going to play therapy for over the last ten years.

While I certainly do not discourage going to a play therapist.

I think there are a tonne of early developmental needs that can be directly and indirectly promoted at home/neighbourhood through supervised free play without the parenting figure possibly even knowing it.

M
Old 07-31-17, 12:01 PM

The contradictions throughout this thread make me worry about taking and promoting very powerful pharmaceutical brain altering treatments on line.

When I cannot even promote instinctual supervised free play during the early period of development, years before pharmaceutical treatment is even an option.

When brain researchers have found supervised free play promotes healthy development in the same brain areas that are slightly delayed in people with ADHD.

When doctors recommend behavior therapy before the age of 4-6.

When I made it clear that I was not anti medication, but focusing on discussing a period of early development before medication was even an option.

M
Old 07-31-17, 12:22 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 20,385 Times in 10,224 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
When I cannot even promote instinctual supervised free play during the early period of development, years before pharmaceutical treatment is even an option.
No one has stopped you from promoting supervised free play, which you've done in many threads across the forum.

Some people, like the OP of this thread, have endorsed play as a strategy for managing ADHD. (And for what it's worth, the OP's youngest child is already 10 years old.)

Other people have suggested that their (or their kids') experiences with free play have not resolved or noticeably improved their (or their kids') ADHD symptoms.

Their experiences may be different from yours, and that's OK.

It doesn't mean that free play isn't a good thing for children (or adults). Just that, even if it's beneficial, it's not a cure-all for everyone.

Last edited by namazu; 07-31-17 at 12:34 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (07-31-17)
Old 07-31-17, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namazu View Post

It doesn't mean that free play isn't a good thing for children (or adults). Just that, even if it's beneficial, it's not a cure-all for everyone.

Free play is primary instinctual social emotional behavior

Now I am focusing on supervised free play, not just free play.

I am focusing on treatment during the stages in early development when children love to play, before medication is even an option.

Why are you focusing on a cure-all for everyone in a response to my post?

M

Last edited by mildadhd; 07-31-17 at 01:22 PM..
Old 07-31-17, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Free play is primary instinctual social emotional behavior

Now I am focusing on supervised free play, not just free play.

M
Perhaps you could explain what you see as the difference between "just free
play" and "supervised free play."

My adhd granddaughter had much the same parental supervision and same
opportunity for free play that her mom had, but the differences were huge.

My granddaughter beat herself up emotionally, despite reassurance from us.
She would argue with anything and everything that was talked about. Once
she began taking Concerta it was like a switch was turned on in her head
that let her make connections and suddenly understand what others were
saying ... there was no more arguing.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (07-31-17), namazu (07-31-17)