ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > ADDiction & Substance Abuse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-18, 12:36 AM

littlesmg88 is on a distinguished road
Question Why do i seek/crave more meds when i'm upset or stressed!

I've been on stimulants for ADD for 13 years. I was on adderall and currently on vyvanse.
I started taking my script more than prescribed 7 years ago because they wore off too soon.
now its just a mess of a probelm but one thing I realized is whenever I feel or experience a negative emotion like getting upset/overwhelmed/fight with parents or boyfriend I seek/crave/ take more of my meds even though it doesn't do anything??
I find that I even take more when I'm say bored at work which doesn't make sense because if theres nothing to do/focus on then I'm wasting it!
please some one help me get some sanity back while I try to deal with how to control my usage of my medication and find a therapist!
ADD, Major Depression Disorder, Anxiety, Panic Disorder
Past medications: almost every SSRI
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to littlesmg88 For This Useful Post:
daveddd (11-08-18), mildadhd (11-08-18)
Old 11-03-18, 02:13 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all
Re: Why do i seek/crave more meds when i'm upset or stressed!

That's a hard question. The way I'd think of it is that we often have expectations for what the meds are supposed to do. These expectations aren't necessarily accurate/rational, and we might not even be fully aware of the existence of these expectations. Nonetheless, these expectations can drive behavior.

I'm just putting some random suggestions out there for you to ponder! It could be that you have a physiological craving that gets triggered by negative emotions. Or perhaps you taking your meds is a way of gaining back control of the situation. Perhaps you subconsciously think the meds will solve your problems.

FWIW, I think that ADHD meds are underrated in their ability to reduce emotional dysregulation issues in ADHD people (the meds are not just for studying/work!). Is it possible that the meds actually do help you with the emotional issues?
Old 11-03-18, 07:58 AM

Alphawave is on a distinguished road

Why don't you take the recommended dose of strattera? (80 mg)

With that as a base, you might not feel the need to take more stims
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-18, 01:28 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,450 Times in 15,034 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

In some cases, stimulants are used as off label antidepressants in people with treatment resistant depression. I believe they definitely have an effect on mood. I am not saying you are an addict but I am comfortable saying that when you have emotional stuff going on, you are addicted to mood-altering- in some way or another. In this case its taking more of your meds then you are supposed to. I can identify big time as an alcoholic in recovery because thats why I drank. To feel happy or combat sadness I drank. Everything was a reason to drink. I used to take xanax and that was a slippery slope as well because I was self dosing based on anxiety and panic attacks and there is the mindset "if one is good then 2 is better". I do not know how to tell you not to do anything like this. Its your meds and assuming you need them for a legit medical purpose you can either have someone lock them up and dispense them to you, try your own way or keep this up and go through however many days of hell without medication. The other thing is to seriously look at yourself and decide if you have an addiction to it in which case an outpatient rehab could help with therapy.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
CharlesH (11-06-18), daveddd (11-08-18), littlesmg88 (11-17-18)
Old 11-07-18, 06:52 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,240 Times in 936 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation

Our positive and negative feeling systems are interconnected and work together.

When negative feeling systems are chronically stimulated, may also result in a strain/imbalance in our positive feeling systems.

Another possibility is that major depression may also partly be the result of under active positive feeling systems?

I wonder if the medication may be temporally helping imbalance?

I have never tried the medication you have, and I do not know the pros and cons of taking the medication you are taking?

I wonder if your major depression is resulting in extra cravings, and I wonder if it would be better to discuss with your doctor about better treating your major depression first (or along with AD(H)D)?

I also wonder if there is the possibility that the AD(H)D medication is making your major depression worse, and even more noticeable when the the medication begins to ware off?

Finding ways of reducing abnormal distresses, may also help.

M

Last edited by mildadhd; 11-07-18 at 07:09 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to mildadhd For This Useful Post:
littlesmg88 (11-17-18)
Old 11-08-18, 01:51 AM

Thanked 11,265 Times in 5,503 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesmg88 View Post
I've been on stimulants for ADD for 13 years. I was on adderall and currently on vyvanse.
I started taking my script more than prescribed 7 years ago because they wore off too soon.
now its just a mess of a probelm but one thing I realized is whenever I feel or experience a negative emotion like getting upset/overwhelmed/fight with parents or boyfriend I seek/crave/ take more of my meds even though it doesn't do anything??
I find that I even take more when I'm say bored at work which doesn't make sense because if theres nothing to do/focus on then I'm wasting it!
please some one help me get some sanity back while I try to deal with how to control my usage of my medication and find a therapist!
possibly a form of emotional avoidance, seems like you might not like negative emotions so you ritually take more pills in hope of euphoria?

many times addiction/abuse can be a way to kill negative emotions. As opposed to more healthy methods such as seeking a friend or family member to talk about and work through them ( a healthy form of emotional regulation)

So while currently the extra pills don't help, at some point they may have. With abuse our minds can easily be tricked into thinking that this next pill will make things better, and make us feel good.

Addicts of all kinds tend to use their substances even when the euphoric feelings are long gone and there is nothing left but wasting the substance and shame

that's just one possibility
Greyhound1 (11-08-18), Little Missy (11-08-18)
Old 11-08-18, 03:54 PM

Thanked 1,240 Times in 936 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesmg88 View Post
I was thinking more about your situation.

And I wondered if your anxiety could also be making things worse, and also counteracting the temporary benefits of the medication?

In fact, now that I think about it, this has happened to me numerous times, over the years, when my anxiety worsens.

For me, even when I take medication as prescribed, if I experience distressful situations, my focus can appear to regress, due to distresses, like anxiety.

M
Old 11-08-18, 09:44 PM

ShipwreckSiren is on a distinguished road

Whenever I'm not medicated I'm like this with carbs and sweets. I will crave and binge on cookies, chocolate, etc. I think it's because I'm low on dopamine and my body is naturally seeking out something that will raise it to normal levels. It definitely makes my mood, focus, and energy improve. I used to weigh a lot because of this. It's managed really well on medication and I don't get those cravings as bad. I think maybe your medication may not be working but historically your body has associated feeling better with having that medication boost.
The Following User Says Thank You to ShipwreckSiren For This Useful Post:
littlesmg88 (11-17-18)
Old 11-08-18, 11:08 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 15,212 Times in 7,324 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry if it’s already been said but the short answer to the thread question is probably escape.

I get super tired and sleepy when I’m really stressed, anxious, depressed, overwhelmed or upset. Sleep is my most effective escape. I wish my brain came with a switch where I could turn if off before it has a melt down. Sleep is the next best thing for me. It doesn’t fix anything other than it ramps down my stressful thoughts which are so exhausting.
The Following User Says Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (11-09-18)