ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-18, 08:45 AM

Essa96 is on a distinguished road
How much does ADHD impact your life?

I'm trying to learn a little more about others' personal experience, being diagnosed with ADHD-PI recently.

Personally, I only find that only a few symptoms really take a major toll on my life such as being easily distracted, and having a very short attention span/attention to detail.
While I have all of the symptoms, these bother me most since I haven't been able to move forward academically.
How do some people get through University with undiagnosed ADHD?
Personally, I can't read a few lines of a book without my mind wandering off, let alone research projects.

Tell me about your experience with ADHD, which type, when and why you were diagnosed
Old 05-03-18, 09:13 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,472 Times in 3,091 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How much does ADHD impact your life?

Every aspect. It's not a problem that ever sleeps. Relationships, education, work prospects, socializing. It's all impaired in some way.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
aeon (05-03-18), allesandro1 (05-05-18), Essa96 (05-03-18), kwalk (07-17-18), Little Missy (05-03-18), PoppnNSailinMan (05-04-18), SweetPotato (05-08-18)
Old 05-03-18, 02:53 PM

Budkeiser is on a distinguished road

I was diagnosed with ADHD – pi in my mid-40s after being worried about Alzheimer's. I occasionally had amnesiac episodes. ADHD was not on the radar. I got through the university on very little sleep and putting myself last in the list of priorities. Often I even forgot to eat.
Reading in college wasn’t easy. I discussed my reading speed with a few professors but in the end for me, it just meant spending more time than others doing the same task. I had to read about 450 pages a week. The lack of food and sleep did not help.
I am still learning how and where ADHD impairs life for me (personally and professionally). I think if you identify how ADHD impacts you, you will be able to establish tools to dealing with it the best you can.

Everyone is affected differently. You may find something in your schooling that works to your advantage. For me, it was the ability to work on multiple projects at once. Two income jobs, being a single parent, a community volunteer leader (Red Cross blanket drives and blood drives, Community table feeding the disadvantaged, Special Olympics and Relay for Life fundraising chairs, Girl Scout school organizer and troop leader, etc…) a student carrying a full school load, etc...
Essa96 (05-03-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-18, 01:07 AM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 15,402 Times in 6,116 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute

So much so I hardly even notice it. The second my meds wear off every one in the room notices it BUT me!!!

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to meadd823 For This Useful Post:
Essa96 (05-06-18), Fraser_0762 (05-04-18), PoppnNSailinMan (05-04-18)
Old 05-04-18, 01:58 AM

PoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud of

My ADHD had an impact on my education as well. It took me much longer than it should have to get through college.

I always had difficulty reading for extended periods of time without getting drowsy so that I didn't always finish assigned reading or skimmed parts of it instead.

And I read and write fairly slowly, too. So, even though the quality of what I wrote in my exams was good, my answers were often shorter than they should have been and it was difficult for me to finish on time. In some cases, I ended up deciding to drop some classes part way through the semester but before the deadline because I had done badly on my first exam and was worried that I would end up getting a bad grade in the class. And this was very frustrating for me because I knew the material but couldn't get my thoughts organized and out onto paper quickly enough during the exam. If I had been diagnosed then, I probably could have gotten some sort of accommodation that would have given me more time to finish.

It's definitely had a negative impact in some jobs I've had.

And finally, my ADHD has had quite a negative impact on both my friendships and my romantic relationships. Sometimes this is because I don't hear what people are saying to me because I'm absorbed in my own thoughts or I forget what they told me. Or it's because I forget appointments with people and they think I'm standing them up. Or because I will bring up something out of nowhere when someone is talking to me, something which just happened to cross my mind, and this upsets people because they feel that I'm not interested in what they were telling me and am being rude for interrupting them.
Bart Simpson (to the tune of “I'm Popeye the Sailor Man”): “When I can’t stop my fiddlin’, I just takes me Ritalin, I’m poppin’ and sailin’, man!” (“Brother’s Little Helper,” Season 11, episode 2, aired 10/3/99)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PoppnNSailinMan For This Useful Post:
DUBL07 (05-13-18), Essa96 (05-06-18)
Old 05-05-18, 12:58 PM

apothecia is on a distinguished road

I just failed my college classes AGAIN and I'm devastated. It is for really stupid mistakes that take a HUGE toll. I was accused of plagarism during a presentation. I never, never, never plagarize people. I pride myself on my creativity and integrity. I had to give a capstone presentation for my major and when I was putting together the power point, in order to organize my slides, I cut and pasted each section of the paper into my slides with the intention of replacing them one-by-one as I filled in the gaps with pictures and bullet points. I had to also give detailed explanations of some of the methods described in the slides. I spent so much time trying to figure out how all of the methods worked, that I spaced the final slide which was a conclusion slide that had some stuff cut and pasted on it. It wasn't even the slide I had wanted to use, but I was in a hurry at the last minute trying to get it together, that I screwed up and left it on there. I got an angry email from my instructure telling me that I had failed the course. I know the teachers already think I'm a screw up because I always hand stuff in late and take a lot longer to do paperwork than everyone else, not to mention I'm also mildly dyslexic. I can tell by the way they look at me and make snarky comments when I mess up. Now they think I'm a fraud too. I feel like I'm stuck in the twilight zone and I'm never going to graduate. I was so close. My family is flying out to watch me walk next week, and they're all really proud and I just feel like a hopeless failure. It's like the harder I try, the more I mess up and the more behind I fall. I don't know what to do about this. I have tried so many different ways of organizing. I am so smart when it comes to troubleshooting and figuring out how stuff works and fixing things, but I feel so incredibly stupid. I don't know how I could have messed up this bad. It would have been better if I had never shown up for class at all. BTW, I'm not even college-aged, I'm much older which makes it even worse.
The Following User Says Thank You to apothecia For This Useful Post:
Essa96 (05-06-18)
Old 05-05-18, 07:19 PM
ADDvanced Member

allesandro1 has a spectacular aura aboutallesandro1 has a spectacular aura about

Fraser summed it up perfectly: it's pervasive, it affects all areas of one's life: work, relationships, perspective,everything
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to allesandro1 For This Useful Post:
Essa96 (05-06-18), finallyfound10 (05-08-18), ToneTone (05-08-18)
Old 05-07-18, 01:11 AM

DUBL07 is on a distinguished road

I was wondering the same thing. How do people with adhd make it through college. This is my second try at it and its the same old same old for me. Still struggling to learn things. Reading assignments are impossible for me. I skim all the time. Miss details all the time. Flat out do the assignment wrong, completely wrong. Then argue with the instructor that i read the assignment correctly and worked it as required...and i'm wrong. I have always been underemployed. Everyone says i'm smart but i never feel very smart. Personal relationships are a mess. I can't keep friends no matter how hard i try. And usually i don't really understand what i did or said to p*ss them off. I usually just blame them, they were the jerk and i'm glad they are gone. Never have dated anyone, that would go horribly i imagine. I usually am late for work, if i hate the job i'm really late. 15 minutes late sometimes. I can't do algebra at all, tried 100 times to learn it. I just can't pick it up. And guess what, i have an algebra credit for college haha. I'll pay someone to take the class. Basically every part of my life sucks, all the time. I have meltdowns a lot lately. dunno why but as i get older i "deal" with things worse and worse. I mostly just want to be left alone. I could go on and on. ADHD is a gift and curse. I think completely outside the box all the time. I enjoy seeing things differently and would love a job that fosters that. But getting the credentials for that would be impossible for me. I have drive but a brain that has two speeds, slow and reverse. Lately neurotypicals annoy me. If you have a fully functioning brain and are working at a grocery store. I just can't stand you. I want more and want better but i'm hobbled by a slow brain. As i get older i am afraid. Afraid i will be working at a pizza place when i'm 50. That's the reason i went back after a degree. hoping it will bail me out in the end. And i won't be stuck with some low pay job. But being honest with myself i know i won't make it. I get only so far an everything falls apart. My failure list is long. I wasn't given the instruction manual for life, i'm winging it badly.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DUBL07 For This Useful Post:
adhdseeker (05-13-18), Essa96 (05-07-18), PoppnNSailinMan (05-08-18)
Old 05-07-18, 03:00 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,667 Times in 14,621 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

ADHD is a chronic, lifelong condition that affects every aspect of your life in one way or another.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Essa96 (05-07-18), PoppnNSailinMan (05-08-18)
Old 05-07-18, 04:14 AM

Essa96 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUBL07 View Post
I was wondering the same thing. How do people with adhd make it through college. This is my second try at it and its the same old same old for me. Still struggling to learn things. Reading assignments are impossible for me. I skim all the time. Miss details all the time. Flat out do the assignment wrong, completely wrong. Then argue with the instructor that i read the assignment correctly and worked it as required...and i'm wrong. I have always been underemployed. Everyone says i'm smart but i never feel very smart. Personal relationships are a mess. I can't keep friends no matter how hard i try. And usually i don't really understand what i did or said to p*ss them off. I usually just blame them, they were the jerk and i'm glad they are gone. Never have dated anyone, that would go horribly i imagine. I usually am late for work, if i hate the job i'm really late. 15 minutes late sometimes. I can't do algebra at all, tried 100 times to learn it. I just can't pick it up. And guess what, i have an algebra credit for college haha. I'll pay someone to take the class. Basically every part of my life sucks, all the time. I have meltdowns a lot lately. dunno why but as i get older i "deal" with things worse and worse. I mostly just want to be left alone. I could go on and on. ADHD is a gift and curse. I think completely outside the box all the time. I enjoy seeing things differently and would love a job that fosters that. But getting the credentials for that would be impossible for me. I have drive but a brain that has two speeds, slow and reverse. Lately neurotypicals annoy me. If you have a fully functioning brain and are working at a grocery store. I just can't stand you. I want more and want better but i'm hobbled by a slow brain. As i get older i am afraid. Afraid i will be working at a pizza place when i'm 50. That's the reason i went back after a degree. hoping it will bail me out in the end. And i won't be stuck with some low pay job. But being honest with myself i know i won't make it. I get only so far an everything falls apart. My failure list is long. I wasn't given the instruction manual for life, i'm winging it badly.
This describes me 100%. Is it still this bad with medication? I'm hoping I can get through college with treatment...
The Following User Says Thank You to Essa96 For This Useful Post:
PoppnNSailinMan (05-08-18)
Old 05-07-18, 11:17 PM

DUBL07 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essa96 View Post
This describes me 100%. Is it still this bad with medication? I'm hoping I can get through college with treatment...
I'm not on meds yet. I was just diagnosed like a few weeks ago. I started college again and was falling behind and struggling. I started researching why things are so hard for me. I saw a few articles about learning disabilities and one about ADD. After reading the ADD article i had to know more. I went down the google rabbit hole haha. I had many ahah moments. I have struggled all my life. Failed first grade, struggled in junior high. Barely and i do mean barely was able to finish high school. I had grades so low they don't give you a grade. Instead of a D or F i had INCOMPLETE stamped on my report card. Once you dip below 30% i think you start getting those. Your below and F at that point. My friend just got diagnosed too. His daughter is ADHD and on meds. After talking with me he went to get checked out. He is on aderrall xr i think and loves it. But his issue now is using his new found focus. I think my doc will give me strattera to try out and see. I just want some relief, even 20 percent improvement will be amazing. I have read stories of people getting meds and therapy and doing awesome in college and life in general. I am hopeful for some improvement. I have always been underemployed and never can figure out why. I just don't move forward even when i do try.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DUBL07 For This Useful Post:
PoppnNSailinMan (05-08-18), SweetPotato (05-08-18)
Old 05-08-18, 10:30 AM

PoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUBL07 View Post
Personal relationships are a mess. I can't keep friends no matter how hard i try. And usually i don't really understand what i did or said to p*ss them off. I usually just blame them, they were the jerk and i'm glad they are gone.
I've been going to see a therapist every two weeks for about six months now, and have an appointment with him this morning. Difficulties in my personal relationships is one of the things that we've been talking about lately. It's had an impact on me my entire life.

Just like you, I usually don't have any idea what I did to make someone angry at me, and used to think that whatever it was, it was probably their fault. But the last few years since my ADHD diagnosis, I've gotten into the habit of just apologizing whenever someone gets upset with me. But since I don't always know what it was I did, I'm not sure what to apologize for and will sometimes just make a guess. I did that recently, and the person got even more angry and said that I was apologizing for the wrong thing.
Bart Simpson (to the tune of “I'm Popeye the Sailor Man”): “When I can’t stop my fiddlin’, I just takes me Ritalin, I’m poppin’ and sailin’, man!” (“Brother’s Little Helper,” Season 11, episode 2, aired 10/3/99)
The Following User Says Thank You to PoppnNSailinMan For This Useful Post:
DUBL07 (05-13-18)
Old 05-08-18, 12:48 PM

Thanked 33,636 Times in 15,217 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

they take a significant toll on my life and i'm unmedicated for them at present. i think the overall ****tiest thing they do currently is they exacerbate my co existing conditions. there's debate about whether someone with my situation should ever go off meds, but i had my therapist tell me last week that even if i were on the mild end of the schizophrenia spectrum and also had mild OCD, my ADHD would prevent me from living without medication because i can't start and sustain routines. she recalled a friend with depression, on the mild side, and who is able to live without medication. she said everything has to be down to the minute. every food, every activity, monitored, things avoided that need avoiding, etc.

i can't do that. i completely lack the ability to create a routine, much less stick to one. i've tried for several years to implement them and we start with one thing and try to build. and then i discontinue my meds and it all goes to ****.

adhd alone sucks, but it makes everything else that much harder as well.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (05-08-18), PoppnNSailinMan (05-08-18), stef (05-08-18)
Old 05-08-18, 01:07 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,549 Times in 854 Posts
finallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond repute

More than I ever thought possible! I was diagnosed at 40 yrs. old when I went back to school for a second degree/second career and hit the wall. I developed anxiety and depression and was a mess. There is more to the story of, course.

I had a hard time in all of my schooling (having dyscalculia doesn't help) and now having a hard time in both of the nursing jobs I've had.

Relationship-wise it -and it's comorbids- have lead to me not having any romantic relationships for years and even has affected friendships.
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to finallyfound10 For This Useful Post:
kwalk (07-18-18), PoppnNSailinMan (05-08-18), stef (05-08-18)
Old 05-08-18, 02:58 PM

anomie is on a distinguished road

England (Ages 2 - 8)

* Late learning to read (age 7/8)
* Told I was smart/gifted but unfocused or 'smart but lazy'
* Extremely shy/quiet (my parents said my sister done the talking for me)

Belgium (Ages 8 - 12)

* Poor hygiene
* Bed-wetting (extremely deep sleeper - tried various alarms to wake me up when it detected moisture through doctors - none worked)
* Feeling ‘different/weird’ and being bullied for being weird
* Again, continuously told I was smart but needed to focus
* Resat a year (although this may be more down due to the language switch)
* Usually managed to scrape by doing homework on the morning it was due.

America (Ages 12 - 16)

* Inability to do any work I wasn’t interested in
* Barely scraping by despite performing at the top of the class for certain tasks
* Summer school to resit Maths
* In-school suspension multiple times per year for losing my ID (3 losses = 1 day in-school suspension)
* Lots of being stupid/impulsive. Which resulted in broken bones and charred lawn furniture.
* ‘It’s fine not caring about middle school - you’re in High School now you need to get your act together’
* Scraped by with as little effort as possible.
* Started smoking cannabis (14)
* Completely stopped trying in school when I found out I was moving again.

Scotland (Ages 16-28)

* Still quiet / shy - not due to anxiety but due to not really having anything to contribute
* friends started calling me 'spaceman'
* No long-term motivation/ambition
* Didn’t go into any of my exams except Computing (got a C)
* Unemployed for 2 years after high school
* Hanging around with a bad group, getting into fights just for the sake of it.
* Started experimenting with drugs. Mostly research-chemicals and psychedelics. Daily cannabis use for the majority of my adulthood.
* Failed driving test 10 times due to making careless mistakes
* Lack of care to my appearance. (dirty clothes/holes in them)
* Got a part-time data-entry job with my dad. Automated role and got offered full time position. Easy job, usually small tasks and working to tight deadlines. On longer projects I would struggle and make loads of attention to detail mistakes so my dad essentially shaped small jobs around my capabilities and would usually proof-read/check any work I done before sending to clients which is why I lasted so long. Timekeeping was still abysmal to the point where he would pick me up every morning to make sure I came in on time. Worked here for 5 years before being made redundant.
* Girlfriend #1 (6yr relationship) split up with me because I had no motivation/wasn’t doing anything with my life. Got in £8k worth of debt during the last year or two
* Got a job designing websites for a family friend who was signing up dozens of small businesses. Lack of attention to detail and forgetting about clients/forgetting to respond to emails/etc eventually led to all my clients abandoning me.
* Started a business with my Dad. Complete lack of any ambition, only done what I was told and would take me weeks to complete a task I could’ve done in an hour. Lots of fighting and getting told to get my act together. Business wasn’t making enough money. I signed up to college try and get some focus in my life.
* Got a weekend job as a technician. Fired after sleeping in.
* Aunt gave me a job in her store. Stopped offering me shifts because she felt ‘my focus was elsewhere’
* Inability to complete simple task like paying bills or household chores
* Constantly losing things and forgetting appointments
* ‘Became’ an anarchist (rejection of social norms?)
* Went vegan (social norms/increased empathy with animals)
* Managed to get into Uni despite doing very little in college. Failed maths semester 1, scraped by in computing.
* Realisation I had ADHD after traumatic breakup with my girlfriend #2 (7 month relationship - I impulsively moved in pretty much on day 1, old colleague who said she was attracted to me due to intelligence) As I tried to eliminate all distractions and study and came to the realisation that no matter how hard I tried - I couldn’t (brain fog would kick in or I would start daydreaming) - which resulted in me threatening to take my life and being hospitalised. ‘A-ha!’ moment was 2-3 days after - anxiety/depression has mostly lifted since self-diagnosis and seeing a light at the end of the tunnel.

---
^ wrote that about 2 months ago. Diagnosed as ADHD-C about a month ago, trialed metyl. Switching to Elvanse tmrw